I have an opportunity to buy a complete 90 F250 with a fuel injected 460, for $150.
The truck body is wrecked but the engine is a good healthy runner
The plan is to pull the complete engine, wiring, computer etc. and install it in my 78 4x4 frame with the 66 body on top. I am hoping that it will be a good powerful runner, with reasonable mileage and year-round reliability.
I do have several questions:
1. Are the fuel injection systems reliable for this year?
2. Since the truck is titled as a 66 emissions is a non issue, can I delete the catalytic conv., air pump and EGR without sending the computer into a tizzy?
3. If I can remove or disable items in #2. how much will this help mileage and power, if at all?
4. Can the computer be reprogrammed "chipped"?
5. Are these motors traditional hyd. Lifter or roller like the 5.0's, Can I put earlier heads like D0VE's on to up compression? Maybe a cam swap?
6. do these engines have the retarded timing chains like the 70's 460?
thanks for answers/info..