whats a holman and moody engine worth? - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 03:46 PM
429cougar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
whats a holman and moody engine worth?

i found a holman and moody 427 side oiler double quad engine for sale at this shop it really clean was in a boat for some reason? im not reall y sure im getting the numbers on it tomarrow just wondering what a complete engine like this is worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: whats a holman and moody engine worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429cougar
i found a holman and moody 427 side oiler double quad engine for sale at this shop it really clean was in a boat for some reason? im not reall y sure im getting the numbers on it tomarrow just wondering what a complete engine like this is worth?
If it's for REAL it's worth mega $$$$$$$ My 427 stroker that I sold was NOT a HM engine but one that I built for drag racing. I let it go for $7800 a few years ago.........

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
429cougar

this guy wants only 6500 for itbut i can prolly get it for 5500. should i go ahead and get all the numbers off it just to see if its for real? and how do i chek it is there a website?
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
this guy wants only 6500 for itbut i can prolly get it for 5500. should i go ahead and get all the numbers off it just to see if its for real? and how do i chek it is there a website?
Best FE information on the planet is www.fordfe.com

Get the numbers and I may be able to help some. AND get pictures!

Good Luck

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 04:40 PM
429cougar

im leaving right now to take pictures ill be right back
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
im leaving right now to take pictures ill be right back
I'm leaving the office. I'll be back tomorrow :lol:

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 06:25 PM
429cougar

im back this is what i found-----c3ae 9510 bj c3af 9510 bk
c4ae-6090-h
66-427 what is it?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:29 PM
RJP

Carbs are the BJ/BK 2 x 4 set up that are available in reproduction for big $$$. Orig. carbs are worth as much if not more if they are in rebuildable-good condition. Head number [C4AE-6090-H] does not show in my books, are you sure the number is correct? A C3AE-6090-H head is a late 63 427 lowriser. If the C4 number is correct I'm inclined to think the heads could be passenger car head and nothing special. What is the block number and casting date? Also check for maincap crossbolts, if it has the crossbolts more than likely its a 427 but be aware it is possible to cross bolt any FE and that makes it look like a 427. Only way to tell for sure is to pull a head to measure the bore/stroke and drop the pan to see what rod/crank is in the engine. Most H/M 427s had steel cranks and Le Mans rods. One last thing...be sure its a real sideoiler and not a block that was cast as a S/O but drilled for a centeroiler, some marine/industrial FEs [and not just 427s] were cast as S/Os and are infact center oilers. Look for the galley plugs in the galley 'bulge" The counterfiting is more common than you think, I'm doing a 427 C/O for a fellow that thought he was getting a S/O because he saw the galley bulge but didn't look for the galley plugs, needless to say he is a "little" dissapointed.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:11 PM
429cougar

i can get more numbers from this engine if needed also i need to know how to figure out if it is in fact a holman moody engine cuz the only thing telling me is the owner and the intake its from a super gas boat
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Premium Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

That RJP really knows his FE's. 8)

Coug, you said that this H-M 427 was in a boat "for some reason?" Well, they found their way into boats, too; FE's ruled the v-drive world in the 1960's. Here's a picture of a pristine, all original H-M 427 in a 1967 Howard v-drive. I took these pictures:

Even the license plate registration tag is a 1967 tag. The boat is owned by one of the nicest Texans I have ever met....

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP
Carbs are the BJ/BK 2 x 4 set up that are available in reproduction for big $$$. Orig. carbs are worth as much if not more if they are in rebuildable-good condition. Head number [C4AE-6090-H] does not show in my books, are you sure the number is correct? A C3AE-6090-H head is a late 63 427 lowriser. If the C4 number is correct I'm inclined to think the heads could be passenger car head and nothing special. What is the block number and casting date? Also check for maincap crossbolts, if it has the crossbolts more than likely its a 427 but be aware it is possible to cross bolt any FE and that makes it look like a 427. Only way to tell for sure is to pull a head to measure the bore/stroke and drop the pan to see what rod/crank is in the engine. Most H/M 427s had steel cranks and Le Mans rods. One last thing...be sure its a real sideoiler and not a block that was cast as a S/O but drilled for a centeroiler, some marine/industrial FEs [and not just 427s] were cast as S/Os and are infact center oilers. Look for the galley plugs in the galley 'bulge" The counterfiting is more common than you think, I'm doing a 427 C/O for a fellow that thought he was getting a S/O because he saw the galley bulge but didn't look for the galley plugs, needless to say he is a "little" dissapointed.
Yeah what he said! :lol:

I don't have my book in front of me but C4AE heads ring a bell. Isn't one type a regular 390 head however the 6090 suffix is a medium riser head? I'd have to check my references.

429Cougar,

Something that has peaked my curiosity, you don't have the money for good heads or porting information but you have money for a 427 side oiler :?: :P

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 08:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to psquare75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasea466
[429Cougar,

Something that has peaked my curiosity, you don't have the money for good heads or porting information but you have money for a 427 side oiler :?: :P
You mean.. "You don't have money for brackets for your shifter, but you have money for a 427 side oiler"

429cougar, not for nothing, but, each new thread by you seems to be almost totally unrelated to the other threads, to the point of which I often wonder if they even concern the same car. Ever heard of trying to make an outline for your car, then sticking to it? it seems like you're all over the place.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Forum Contributor

No, you mean you don't have money to join Scott J's website, but the $$$ is there for the side oiler....LOL....

Just pickin' on ya, bud!

Greg

In Limbo at all times
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Just pickin' on ya, bud!
Me too so don't take it the wrong way. I'm just givin' you a hard time :P

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 03:16 PM
429cougar

well in fact i dont have the money in hand im going to barrow it from my dad or someone in my family but i only do that kind of thing if its for sure ya know ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.