523 "poor boy stroker" - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

523 "poor boy stroker"

I have a chance to buy the pistons and rods for cheap, but have never heard of this before is it a good combo or is their problems with it? The combo has custom Venolia pistons on 300 6 cyl rods with arp bolts. The guy that owns them said to get a stock crank off set ground to 4.25 stroke puch a block +80 and there it is. He ran these with D0VE and D0OE heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

I always thought they used a 240 rod in that combo and I think that they are a different length than 300 rods. I've heard that as long as the rpm/power level is moderate that it works fine and doesn't break. With that said today it's probably less expensive if you're paying for machine work to just go with a 521 using a Scat cast crank, Scat I beam rods and a piston from Probe. This combo is easy to build and balance and it doesn't cost much because everything is an off the shelf part of modest cost.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Garage
I've built them that way. A crank should be $350 or less so if the deal is good enough on the rods/pistons, it might be worth doing.

Your one stop shop for BBF engines and parts
Master dealer for Lunati and Diamond
Warehouse distributor for AFR, Racetec, Quickfuel, Holley, Edelbrock, Phenix, and most other speed parts

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
I've built them that way. A crank should be $350 or less so if the deal is good enough on the rods/pistons, it might be worth doing.
LOL.

If you know what you're doing, it's worth it. In your case, Tiger, since you don't, don't do it.

IMHO,

Dave
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

what size are the 6 cylinder rod journals? If I buy the crank and have the block sonic checked before boring that far and then balance the thing is their anything else I should look to do?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOHAGIN View Post
LOL.

If you know what you're doing, it's worth it. In your case, Tiger, since you don't, don't do it.

IMHO,

Dave
Sometimes one learns by trying. Education isn't cheap, but having the knowledge is priceless.

Tom
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post
I always thought they used a 240 rod in that combo and I think that they are a different length than 300 rods. I've heard that as long as the rpm/power level is moderate that it works fine and doesn't break. With that said today it's probably less expensive if you're paying for machine work to just go with a 521 using a Scat cast crank, Scat I beam rods and a piston from Probe. This combo is easy to build and balance and it doesn't cost much because everything is an off the shelf part of modest cost.
When using the Scat stroker crank, You still have to purchase aftermarket pistons, which are probably least expensive when purchasing as a kit... correct? From what I've found, if you get a good block to start out with, The least expensive route from there for building up the bottom end to over 500ci is to purchase one of the stroker kits (I beleive I've seen them starting at around $1,300).... Anyone know of any other less expensive routes for decent quality budget stroker?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post

Thank you for the info Carl. It was a big help to me.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Maybe somebody can answere this question for me. Since I can almost buy a new 4.5 crank for what it cost to turn a crank to the size I need for this poor boy stroker. Can I just stick a 4.5 crank in a block with the factory length 6.605 rods and .030 over factory style flattop pistons and get over 530 ci? Is this right?

Last edited by tiger; 09-15-2009 at 02:55 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:26 PM

No.

A factory piston and a factory rod with a bunch more stroke will not work. The piston would come out of the top of the block. You will need a shorter rod, a piston with a higher pin height or both. Buy a kit. Being to cheap on all this will not turn out so well. Run er stock or spend some cash money.

93 F150 4x4 Big Block Ford Truck!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtrucks View Post
No.

A factory piston and a factory rod with a bunch more stroke will not work. The piston would come out of the top of the block. You will need a shorter rod, a piston with a higher pin height or both.
The common cookie-cutter stroker kits available today almost always use connecting rods that are longer than the 429/460 OEM rod, not shorter.

To answer tiger's most recent question more appropriately, a 4.5 stroke crankshaft will need the correct combination of rod and piston in order to be fit for the application. And for the store-bought parts such as the 4.5 crank, usually a 6.700" or 6.800" length rod is what is typically used (OEM rod is 6.605"), depending on piston pin location.

Tiger, just because the 4.5 stroke crankshaft is more-or-less priced the same as lesser stroked cranks, this does not necessarily mean that the engine build will cost the same amount as a smaller displacement engine. Do some research/plan ahead.

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Maybe somebody can answere this question for me. Since I can almost buy a new 4.5 crank for what it cost to turn a crank to the size I need for this poor boy stroker. Can I just stick a 4.5 crank in a block with the factory length 6.605 rods and .030 over factory style flattop pistons and get over 530 ci? Is this right?

I would also be interested in the answer that question.

I might be asking for the impossible, but I would like to be able to get over 500 cubes for under a grand (Crank, Pistons, rings...). assuming I'm starting with a 460 block & internals bored clean to .030 or .040.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
THATS EXACTLY WHAT ME DID. I puts the rod in a vice and squeezed them oval until they fit the crank. Then when the piston stucks out of the bore, I tooks me grinder and ground that sucker until it was flush with the block.

It makes a little noise when it runs, but it was chep. It doen't make very much power. Can someones tell me hows to make more. Me have D2VE heads on it.

THANKS THIS MAKES ME HAPPY

Last edited by GomerPyle; 09-15-2009 at 05:15 PM.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPyle View Post
THATS EXACTLY WHAT ME DID. I puts the rod in a vice and squeezed them oval until they fit the crank. Then when the piston stucks out of the bore, I tooks me grinder and ground that sucker until it was flush with the block.

It makes a little noise when it runs, but it was chep. It doen't make very much power. Can someones tell me hows to make more. Me have D2VE heads on it.

THANKS THIS MAKES ME HAPPY
lmao...that was the laugh today for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.