460 Ford Forum banner

460 tune-up questions

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bigblok86ranger 
#1 ·
Hi, time to get the '70 hard top Torino back on the road for the spring. When I put it away at end of Oct, after racing it a couple of times and driving it pretty hard all summer, it was starting to hesitate and stumble during moderate acceleration, seemed fine at idle and when stomped on. It's a 1977 460 (stock) from a Lincoln. I have an msd blaster coil and the '77 distributor, ignition box, etc. It has a 600 Holley 4brl and openelement K&N air filter, and all emisions left off. Think I have a 1" riser under carb as well.
Figure I'd try a tune-up (been a couple of years) plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve, inline fuel filter, oil fiter & oil change. Think that's every thing, oh, and clean and re-oil k&n air filter, see if that helps poor running or missing.

Wondering if there is any brand or parts I should stick with and what spark plug gap and timing I should run to try and get what ever performance I can out of my tires old, smogger 460.

Thanks
mat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.