Turbo BBF guys step in here - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to HamBone
Turbo BBF guys step in here

I need to chat with some turbo BBF guys.. Im about to make some changes to my car and wanted to get some opinions from some guys that have been there and done that..

Usage is going to be all out drag car, majority 1/8 mile.

Looking to get some 5.0-4.90's out of the setup on a 275 in a 3200lb car through a glide.

Now I have a 545.. forged crank 4.5 stroke, Probe 6.8" I-beam rods forged, Probe flat top pistons forged .030 over. Edelbrock Vic Jr. Heads worked.. .800+ solid roller camshaft, Single carb ect ect. Compression is 13.89:1. Made 759hp at 6400rpm and 738tq at 4200rpm.

Im wanting to go turbo now.. I already have a Precision 88mm turbo with a .96 A/R housing and T4 flange and I have a Master Power 76mm turbo with a .96 A/R and T4 flange.

I'd love use the 88 and do a single setup, but I dont think just the single is going to support the power I'm wanting. Which has led me to consider twin 76's.. which is way too much but does leave plenty of room for growth. So far I'm leaning toward twin 76's with .68 housings.

As far as motor goes.. I was thinking of changing to a 6.7 rod and a big dish piston like 30+ dish.. that should get me in the area I'm wanting. The biggest problem I'm having with it is.. I dont think the 4.5 stroke is going to be good for boost.. I've always had better luck with a short stroke with a boosted application.

So I'm leaning toward a 4.150 stroke crank.. using the 6.7 rod.. and and big dish piston like a high 20 low 30cc dish.. 501 cubic inch I think.

Ill be going to Fuel Injection when I do that swap. I also would like some info in going EFI from some of you guys. What size injectors should I look into going to? 120's? Im not decided yet but I'm pretty sure I'll be going Big Stuff. I do have a MSD 7531 ignition box now too btw.

I do have a couple stock 460 cranks, but Im sure they wont be able to handle the power level I hope to achieve. Correct me if wrong though..

Also how much can the BBF blocks handle with a turbo? I was hoping to avoid going to an aftermarket block but will if I have to.

So any opinions? Advice?

Last edited by HamBone; 10-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to mach1 Send a message via MSN to mach1 Send a message via Yahoo to mach1
I could sure use some info also mine is a 572 a heads but my crank is a 4.250 and 11.7 comp right now im looking to go twin 70s and injection also any info would help
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamBone View Post
Now I have a 545.. forged crank 4.5 stroke, Probe 6.8" I-beam rods forged, Probe flat top pistons forged .030 over. Edelbrock Vic Jr. Heads worked.. .800+ solid roller camshaft, Single carb ect ect. Compression is 13.89:1. Made 759hp at 6400rpm and 738tq at 4200rpm.

Im wanting to go turbo now.. I already have a Precision 88mm turbo with a .96 A/R housing and T4 flange and I have a Master Power 76mm turbo with a .96 A/R and T4 flange.

As far as motor goes.. I was thinking of changing to a 6.7 rod and a big dish piston like 30+ dish.. that should get me in the area I'm wanting. The biggest problem I'm having with it is.. I dont think the 4.5 stroke is going to be good for boost.. I've always had better luck with a short stroke with a boosted application.

So I'm leaning toward a 4.150 stroke crank.. using the 6.7 rod.. and and big dish piston like a high 20 low 30cc dish.. 501 cubic inch I think.

I do have a couple stock 460 cranks, but Im sure they wont be able to handle the power level I hope to achieve. Correct me if wrong though..

Also how much can the BBF blocks handle with a turbo? I was hoping to avoid going to an aftermarket block but will if I have to.
So any opinions? Advice?
About how much hp are you talking about that gives you pause with the 4.500 forged crankshaft? Of course, running the pistons in the hole is not a problem in your case but if you can get the c/r right with a zero deck piston then there's no loss there.

A 4.15 forging would be nice. I would think that the cast 460 cranksaft can hold gobs of power but details in the build affect the amount of power we are talking about, such as the amount of crankshaft prep work, the fuel used, the rods used, the peak rpm, the "this" and the "that."

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:19 PM

Alot of the big HP BBF turbo motors are running the 4.5 or 4.75 crank, i'm doing a TT 598 and to get a 9:1 cr i had to run a 45cc dish and put it in the hole .115 and from all i've read the piston being droped down don't hurt performance on a turbo motor.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:54 AM

Keep the motor as is. I've built some road race type engines that run 14:1 and 40+psi. Runs great! Just make sure you have the right fuel for it. We've used ethanol and methanol. Haven't tried it on gas yet. Just build a set of turbo headers and use two 76s with the 96 housing on them. The 68 will choke any high rpm flow and antilag/launch control/two step will be able to compensate for the additional spool time. Use an online calculator to figure your injector needs. They are pretty close to get you running.

As far as ECMs go, my personal preferance is Motec or Gems or Pectel. You get what you pay for here. Some others that are used frequently are the Big Stuff and FAST. Stay away from AEM. The hardware is junk.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

I never would of thought guys were using the big cranks
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:29 AM

I don't think I'd keep the compression as is. The more volume you make in that chamber, the more air/fuel you can safely cram in there. While higher than 9:1 compression will make it idle better and drive around when off boost, it won't be nearly as tolerant of tuning errors or be able to make as much ultimate power when under boost. The main issue with the 88mm turbo you have is the restrictive exhaust housing. It'd be a great turbo for a high boosting 300 cube engine (or smaller like a Supra 3.0) but the exhaust pressure would be rediculous with a 500+ engine. Twin 76s with those .96 T4 housings sounds good. Probably won't make full boost until somewhere over 3000rpm, but it'd scream.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

I deff wont be keeping the compression where it is.. prob go with a 6.7 rod and a big dish piston like a 30+.. get it around 9.5-10.5.. anywhere in there im fine with..

The thought that crossed my mind was no room for error what so ever with the high compression.. I just dont trust myself enough to tune on a 14.1 compression big motor with boost on it.

Yeah the 88mm turbo just wont cut it for this motor.. the above guy hit it dead on the head with his sizing of motor for it.. it was on 289 cubic inch mod motor in my car before this setup.. the 76 I have was on it before the 88. I'll post a pic of the baby motor to entertain yall. lol..

So noone has discussed how much power the block can handle.. anyone?
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:35 PM

ive got a C-headed 600 cubed bbf im currently switching to a 106 turbo will let you know
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 08:27 PM

I think the block will be a bit "it depends". Higher rpm and detonation will certainly lower the breaking point of the block. On theturboforums a guy made something like 730rwhp with a basically stock 305 chevy. Stock cast pistons, smogger heads with stock valves, small summit cam, stock rods and crank, two bolt main... really basic. With moderate rpms and keeping it at .030" over, I personally wouldn't push it much past 1500hp if I was counting on reliability. Even at 1500hp, I would use the stock crank. I'd just know that if I rattle it hard with a bad tune, something's going to give.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

Last edited by ScottJackson; 12-23-2010 at 08:29 PM.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

so the stock 460 cranks can handle that kinda of hp?
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamBone View Post
so the stock 460 cranks can handle that kinda of hp?
I wouldn't do it with either the stock block or crank. I had CRAZY cap walk at 1016rwhp with a 2 bolt block.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to 8liter
It's funny that you posting this, I'm planning nearly an identical build. I'm gathering up the parts to do a 501 right now. I'll be using a 98mm, I'm concerned about packaging this in the front of my mustang. My comp should be ~8.5:1. Gonna try a non-intercooled e85 Blowthru deal. Got billet caps on my block. I'm hoping to make a ton of power below 6500 rpms.

86 Coupe
545/AOD
A429/H429/1050/BigShot
Best on motor 6.66@106 /10.37@133 on 275's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPod0fGjPo
Now with E85!!!!
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

So what can I do to a stock block to strengthen it to handle? Sorry if I seem a little behind the curve on 460's.. I can tell you anything you want to know about a sbf but I just dont know the 460's like that yet.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I forgot to post the baby motor pics..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2034.jpg (49.8 KB, 150 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.