Timing chain install - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Timing chain install

Hey guys, I'm running a stock 84 ford 460 in my F250. I was finishing some other work today and the neighbor and my uncle were there helping me. They have about 30-50 years mechanics experience between them and I have 5. I mentioned I was going to install a double roller timing chain straight up to take away the stock retard. They said that I have no reason to do this, because I will still be running a smogger(stock) cam and my valves aren't going to be opening and closing right? Is this even remotely true? They also said that a 390 or 350 would stomp a 460 any day of the week in anything, so don't know how much they know about a 460 in general.
At some point I will be running headers, to 3 inch duals exiting behind passenger tire also.
I set timing at 0, check to see if its on number 1 cylinder, pull the front, line up crank and cam at 12/16 slap on the chain, put new gaskets on, put the front back on, set timing and go right? Just want to make sure I do it right when I pull it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
Sounds to me like you need not listen to them

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersf1 View Post
Sounds to me like you need not listen to them
LOL, I'll second that.
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
"They" don't seem to know much

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

That is exactly what I tried to tell them but apparently I am a "stupid kid" I about died laughing when they said that a 350 or 390 would out pull, out mpg, and out accelerate, and out top end a 460, stock v stock.

In any case, to do this timing chain swap I pull the #1 plug, bump the engine over to btdc, and 0 on the balancer. Pull the front case off, line up the crank and cam at 12/6 slap on the gears and chain straight up reverse the process. After that I reset my initial timing right? Anything else I should know?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:28 AM

Make sure you replace the crank seal and get enough silicone on the pan corner replacement gasket pieces and the pan end seal corners, change out the oil and filter, DON'T get any gunk in the pan and attain that Chesher Cat grin whilst whopping up on some "tree fittys" and 390's.
Rob

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:33 AM

Tell "them" to go get their "tree fitty"

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

I ordered a new timing cover gasket set, is that what I needed? I am going to rent a harmonic balancer puller also. Is the black rtv recommended for this job?

I am on a mission now to show these two guys that this young kid knows a thing or two with some 460 internet assistance of course.

I really enjoy reading everyone's posts, it help to make my day a bit better. After getting my 460 smack talked on all day while I was putting the dash and interior back in it, I was getting pretty pissed because I couldn't show them what my girl can do. With headers, dual exhaust, re-curved distributor, any chance I could take on a dodge ram v10 ?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:35 AM

The gasket kit that you want should be called a "timing set kit" .It should have the cover gasket, crank seal, water pump gaskets, pan end seal and the little pan gasket replacements that you'll finish cutting off flush with the block face. You know, I went to an 8 hour seminar a few years ago sponsered by LocTight and the rep said that when it comes to silicone RTV there just all about the same, even the "high temp" ones are not much better than the old standard blue RTV. So, pick a favorite color and have at 'er!
Rob

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:30 AM

easy timing chain set-up, cam dot at 6/clock,crank dot at 12/clock no messing with advance or retard. with a stock 460 do not go bigger than a 2 1/2 twin exhaust, bigger will lose power

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED-----------------SPEND MORE MONEY
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovemeister View Post
I ordered a new timing cover gasket set, is that what I needed? I am going to rent a harmonic balancer puller also. Is the black rtv recommended for this job?

I am on a mission now to show these two guys that this young kid knows a thing or two with some 460 internet assistance of course.

I really enjoy reading everyone's posts, it help to make my day a bit better. After getting my 460 smack talked on all day while I was putting the dash and interior back in it, I was getting pretty pissed because I couldn't show them what my girl can do. With headers, dual exhaust, re-curved distributor, any chance I could take on a dodge ram v10 ?
You would walk all over a production Dodge v-10. Triton 6.8 v-10's are stronger. If it's an SRT-10 500 horse v-10 then no, you'll probably need more engine to run with that. The timing change will bring in the torque earlier and the powerband will end sooner. I deal with old-timers like that all the time. One of them is my uncle, Wally Hemminger. He was a well known late model driver in the late 60's and 70's. As close as we are, he wont even look at my 460. If it ain't an FE motor, them old-timers don't like them.

Aww shoot, I'm getting back in the game again...

Last edited by 429TORQ; 05-01-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: grammar
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovemeister View Post

You mean these "experienced" guys are helping you and you still had to RENT a dampner puller...? That says volumes about their REAL experience.
Be sure the replacement chain set is not ALSO retarded. The keyway should line up EXACTLY with a tooth of the crank gear; NOT between two teeth.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 PM

FE's were the schit in their day

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

hp

Hey guys u got to remember those yrs motors were shy on hp like 225 hp or so [IMHOP]might just have his hands full with a 350/ 390 both would rap quicker than a 460 also heavier but that could be cured with a gear change. LOL Bill
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

I am going to run headers, to 2.5 duals out the back exiting with turn downs behind the passenger tire. I am also doing the timing gear, and a distributor recurve. In any case I bet that I would have a chance at beating a 350 or 390.

Any ideas as to how long it would take me to install the chain from tear down to back together? I am going to try and leave the radiator in there, and pull the fan, and wp, and belts and such and see where I am at with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.