460 Ford Forum banner

1978 Thunderbird bbf swap

21K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  Brian K. Balzer 
#1 ·
This is my first post here, but I have been planning on this swap since I bought the car a couple years ago.

I have already bought a 90s era 460 from an RV with 90k on it. the plan with this engine is to just get it in the car and running for summer cruising. I have everything needed to physically get the engine in the car except for a C6 tranny and shortening the driveshaft.

1. I am looking to build a second 460 to make some power for street driving and occasional track use.

2. The car weighs around 4200-4300 pounds

3. I am okay if I have to use higher octane gas since it is only a weekend driver.

4. I am picking up a set of dove c heads this week. I also have a 68-71 timing chain.

5. I will need to decide on pistons, cam, intake and carb. I would like a somewhat agressive cam, even if it is just for the sound, haha.

6. I would like to keep to a budget of about 3000 for the build including machine work.

7. I am located near DeKalb, IL if anyone knows of a good machine shop in the area.

This is first engine I will have tried to build so I do not have that much knowledge on what a machine shop will need from me to accomplish what I want.

Thanks in advance for any help

See less See more
#11 ·
Carefully check what you ordered. If they are listed for Ltd or Galaxie as well, they will not fit the Torino/T bird/Montego frame. These mounts are not available new anymore, although Crites has swap mounts. A lot of the parts store and ebay listings list the midsized chassis along with the fullsize. They are completely different mounts, only available used. Lincoln Mark IV & V mounts fit (again, used only).

http://critesperformanceparts.com/

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/460-motor-mounts-for-72-gran-torino_topic9899.html?KW=mounts

#6 ·
All of the BBF mounts in the intermediates are the same. No frame stantions. Mount bolts directly to the A frame.

Based on the intermediate chassis the 72 to 76 T bird and 72 to 78 Mark mounts will work and are the same as the more rare to find big block intermediates such as the ranchero, torino, montego, etc.

The 77 to 79 cougar, ranchero and T bird are still intermediates and use the same mounts.

Beware as the intermediates with the BBF can be VERY heavy. 75 BB Elite I had was 4680 pounds.

S

#32 ·
More than a day late but...

All of the BBF mounts in the intermediates are the same. No frame stantions. Mount bolts directly to the A frame.

Based on the intermediate chassis the 72 to 76 T bird and 72 to 78 Mark mounts will work and are the same as the more rare to find big block intermediates such as the ranchero, torino, montego, etc.

The 77 to 79 cougar, ranchero and T bird are still intermediates and use the same mounts.

Beware as the intermediates with the BBF can be VERY heavy. 75 BB Elite I had was 4680 pounds.

S

I'm not sure whether or not you'll see this since it's been a while since you posted on this thread but am I understanding your statement as saying that the motor mounts and stands in my '78 T-Bird, which currently has a 351m, will bolt up correctly with a 460? I'm considering a possible transplant of a 460 out of a possible 70's something RV. Still waiting to hear back for more information about the RV and engine it has. I've seen some conflicting statements about whether or not the transmission mounts will work as well whether or not the driveshaft will need cut. I'm wanting to get a clear idea of what I'm in for before I commit and buy it. I'm just a poor boy so I can't afford to start a project I can't finish, or maybe I should say Another project...

#10 ·
Also may need(if using stock type parts), accelerator cable for a Mark IV or V (or other 70's intermediate with 460 installed) w/ 460(approx. 21.5" long), column mounted/attached shift cable with C6 mounting bracket, C6 kickdown rod,I believe a full size Lincoln will work(bending for clearance may be required though), front sump oil pan and associated oil pump/pickup. Headers: Hooker 6126's fit well ( I am currently using these), but did require a "clearance" cut/nip or two on each upper control arm mount. The C4 trans X-member could work if you can't locate an intermediate based C6 X-member. I modded a C4 X-member for my Ranchero but it was used with a long tailshaft C6.

I am probably forgetting a thing or two on the swap, but it has been a while since I did mine. Good luck. Todd

#19 ·
My buddy delivered the engine over the weekend. I already stripped off all the efi stuff. The intake is an Edelbrock Performer 460 and the carb is off a 75 ford truck I picked up cheap and will rebuild it this week.

The intake and carb are just sitting on the engine right now, I still have to degrease and paint the block.

I ordered the mechanical fuel pump and fuel pump eccentric, 68-71 timing set, a car oil pan since the truck one will interfere with the crossmember.

Should I need anything else to go from efi truck engine to carbed in this car? Will I be able to use the stock 302 duraspark distributer?

#20 ·
7. I am located near DeKalb, IL if anyone knows of a good machine shop in the area.
Forum member "Boss 429" on here is right up I-39 from you around the Illinois-Wisconsin border. He owns Circle R race shop and is an expert with 460's. Not all machine shops are good with these motors. Send him a private message to get in contact with him. He is a little ways away but it would be worth the trip.

#21 ·
I have 72 torino mounts on the shelf. new

no , the 302 dist wont work.you will need a 429,460,351m,or 400 dist

#33 ·
Interesting

If the 72 Torino mounts work to transplant the 460 into a '78 T-Bird in place of the 351m and you still have them I might be interested depending on the price. I've seen conflicting statements as to whether or not the original mounts and frame stands in the '78 with the 351m will work. I'm researching now to see what I need and what's available to do this swap. Being a poor boy makes me cautious about jumping into anything more than a swimming pool.

#43 ·
Thanks for the input

I've seen comments that say '74-'76 T-Bird,'72-'74 Ranchero, same era Cougars, LTDs, and Lincoln Mark IV and V all have mounts that will work. However, so far I haven't found any of the first listed in any of the yards around here and the only ones I've found new were a '76 T-Bird passenger, and the Lincoln's mounts at O'Reilly's which TheMadPorter stated are the incorrect application. He was kind enough to link me to a driver's side on a Ford Thunderbird Parts site but it's a little expensive for my poor man's budget. Even if I managed it that won't do me any good unless I can find a passenger's side somewhere. Summit racing said they Thought they had the correct swap mounts for me but the ones he had me look at looked funky to me and they were also a little pricy. I'll keep checking eBay, the salvage yards, and I'm scrolling The Auction Block to see what's posted in there. If I don't find anything I'll posted an ad and I'll be going to a local swap meet that's scheduled for next month.

I reckon it couldn't be easy or everyone would do it right?

#44 ·
If you are up for some minor fab work, Speedway sells a engine mount kit for 429/460 that includes the engine bracket and a frame bracket that you will have to make work, all for 100.00. The part no. for the 429/460 is 720-4503. Maybe this would work better for you. Hope this helps.

#45 ·
#47 ·
Thanks for the input

Never seen an auto parts store have the correct 460 engine mounts for an intermediate F/L/M product of the early to late 70's

I know that you guys know far more about this swap than I do since all I know is what I've read on here. I guess it'd just be too simple to be able to go buy new parts at the store. However, another member on here messaged me to let me know he has the complete mounts I need still sitting in the car. That being said, I'll save the information you shared with me just in case I ever need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.