460 Ford Forum banner

Large valve DOVEs

7K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  White Lightning 
#1 ·
Gonna do a complete 460 rebuild using big valve DOVE heads as a starting point. This my first 460 attempt & I want to get it right the first time.

First question, (of many to come) did Ford ever use the 2.25/1.75 sized valves in a production vehicle? If so which one. What I'm trying to find is a stock piston that will clear the large intake valve w/o having it to be cut....Thanks....-Rich

#2 ·
The only castings to utilize larger valves were the iron CJ's with 2.245" / 1.72" and the PI castings with 2.19" / 1.72". Both were used on 429 engines only.

Builder replacement pistons will accomodate an intake valve of 2.125" before radial piston to valve contact issues occur.

We utilize the ferrea 2.11" intakes and SI 1.65" exhaust valves in our budget ported heads both early and D3 for builds up to 500 hp.

If you are using fully ported large valve early castings and shooting for more HP than 500 then the best option for pistons is the Sealed power L2404F which will accomodate the larger intake valve. The short compression height will require the block to be decked to 10.290" give or take to achieve near 0 deck height.

More information about your intended build would be helpful.

S

#3 ·
I purchased 3 pairs of bbf heads from a machine shop. One pair is a stock c8ve casting. One is a stock c9ve casting. The other are the doves with 2.25-1.75 ss valves. All with new valve jobs. The doves are fully ported to 2.5 x 2.20 ports.

My build is for a jet daycruiser. What im trying to determine if the doves will be too much for a mild build 460. I want to stay at 9.5 compression for the use of pump gas. I can use either pair & not locked into the doves.

#4 ·
What is so difficult to understand... there are NO standard "out of the box" O.E.M. replacement automotive 460 pistons with an intake valve notch which will radially clear over a 2.125" diameter valve.
Either increase the notch diameter in those pistons or get a "PERFORMANCE" replacement piston; not an O.E.M. replacement piston.

#10 ·
Build update

Had the stock block bored .060 over. Using kb206 pistons. Sealed power moly rings. Cr 10.03/1. Everything balanced. Using the above heads with frp aluminum cobra jet intake ( victor clone ) port matched to the heads.

Looking at a camshaft selection. I'm looking at the frp m5250-a443 cam. I know it isn't available from ford but could be sourced from a custom cam grinder.

Is this a good choice for my application? Thanks....

#11 ·
Had the stock block bored .060 over. Using kb206 pistons. Sealed power moly rings. Cr 10.03/1. Everything balanced. Using the above heads with frp aluminum cobra jet intake ( victor clone ) port matched to the heads.

Looking at a camshaft selection. I'm looking at the frp m5250-a443 cam. I know it isn't available from ford but could be sourced from a custom cam grinder.

Is this a good choice for my application? Thanks....
That camshaft is available as a catalog grind from ELGIN. In my opinion, a bit to much seat duration for what you are intending to accomplish.

#13 · (Edited)
Rich, a well ported set of D0VE C's with the 2.225" and 1.76" stainless valves are nothing to sneeze at. Well capable of putting you in the high 500 horse range.
At this point the exhaust would be the only choke point that I can see, still, capable of high 500's though. IMO you should be looking at a cam in the mid .600" lift range, biased toward the exhaust side with the lift and duration. You probably will be doing some impellor work in order to free up your hole shot some and raise your RPMs to where the engine is making it's good numbers. IMO you'll be looking at a bronze impellor to handle the extra loading.
It's my experience that your max RPMs will be right at where your torque peak is at.
Rob

#14 ·
Thanks ROB, I understand the impeller problem stated. I will address that after the engine is finished. And I know the exhaust is going to be a choke point. If necessary I have other options with the heads w/smaller valves & can downgrade the intake. Right now I'm focused on the cam choice. Matching the cam to the CR, heads & intake. Trying to learn as I go along.

Surf'n the net I may have found another cam..

#15 ·
Don't get rid of the heads, intake or the exhaust! Lol Just cam it accordingly.
Like I said, a solid flat tappet in the low to mid .600"s.
In fact take a look @ a Comp # 305H (hydraulic) (305*/305* advertised, 253*/253* @ .050", .585"/.585" on a 110* lobe center)
Or a 310B (solid flat) (my suggestion), 270*/276* @ .050", 310*/314* advertised, .649"/.641" on a 108 LC.

Any one of the vendors on here will grind you EXACTLY what you need.........
Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.