460 Ford Forum banner

Rebuilding 4180c, Looking for help finding torque values

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ozzie H. 
#1 ·
1987 Champion Telstar 25' Class C RV.
Chassis - E350 Regular Cutaway Van
Carb - Motorcraft/Holley 4180c, E5HE-MB
Engine - 460 7.5L

I'm rebuilding this 4180c, and in one visit to the parts store, one of the guys behind the counter (seemingly one of those "real deal" guys with buckets & buckets of helpful knowledge) had some advice.

He said to be absolutely sure to get the torque right for the 6 clutch type screws in the secondary fuel bowl's metering plate.

I have the instructions that came with the carb kit - it has torque specs for some parts of the carb, but not for those 6 metering plate screws.

I have a 1987 Shop Manual for Bronco, E & F vans & trucks. Again, torque specs for a variety of screws, but not for the 6 metering plate screws.

I have another Ford publication, a 29 page "Holley 4160/4180c Carburetors" - no luck there, either.

Any pointers to get me headed in the right direction to find these torque specs?

Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
Torque values for any fastener are solely based on the fastener shank diameter.
If I'm understanding you correctly (because I've never heard of any torque values for carburetor work) the torque value for a #10 fastener will be about 7 ft/lbs, about what you can twist with a screwdriver handle.
Rob

#3 ·
Ah... Well, in case it's of interest to anyone, I'm gonna upload the carb build torque table page from the Ford Service Manual.

I've been wondering whether it's so very important, I mean, if the values are so hard to find, and since these carbs seem to be everywhere, and people have been rebuilding them successfully since the dawn of time without getting so particular about those screws...

But, there's that guy from the parts store saying specifically that getting the torque on those 6 screws is really important, and unless he was lying through his teeth, his entire career was carburetors, and later, EFI, and with all that white hair, he's old enough for "entire career" to mean something...

Plus, I have a brother who's been wrenching since the late 60's, and I know him to be pretty knowledgeable and skilled - I ran this question by him, and he said "I have no experience with it, but I have HEARD that Hollies are very sensitive to the torqueing of the screws/bolts/fasteners/anchors (whatever you like) associated with the float chambers."

This will be a bit of a hail mary, but I'm going to call Holley to ask about this - Can't hurt to ask!

But thanks much for your response - It definitely gives me something to go by if I can't get hold of specific values!

Attachments

#4 ·
If you're in doubt, start with the smallest screwdriver you have to get a feel for the torque needed rather than grab a big one that will snap a bolt before you even "lean" on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.