460 Ford Forum banner

Electric fan conversion

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Dman64 
#1 ·
Picked up a Mark v111 fan to change over my belt driven fan in my truck. No cooling issues, just tired of having to pull the fan and shroud every time I need to get a wrench on the crank. I have the big 'desert cooler' radiator in it, and the electric fan and shroud is only about 15" × 22". Anyone have any experience with this swap and if it will cool efficiently? Or if I will need to fab up a new shroud to cover more of the radiator? Thanks for any replies.

#2 ·
Try it without building the "special" shroud, probably will cool just fine, the Mark Viii fan is an excellent cooling fan. If a shroud is built/fabbed, it is usually best to install flaps/doors that will open when vehicle is a cruising speed so as to not impede and/or cause a restriction of airflow like a totally rigid shroud would trying to cover the entire radiator. A Mark VIII fan usually requires at least a 100 amp alternator(a 2-speed Mark VIII fan motor will have a 60+ amp spike at start-up if started in the high speed setting and around 25-30amps running). I would recommend a 70 amp+ relay to supply current to the fan motor, most aftermarket fan controllers aren't designed to handle this amperage load continuously, but can be used to trigger the larger relay. Good time to upgrade to a 130 amp 3G if not already done. Hope this helps

#3 ·
Thanks. Thats kind of what I was thinking. I am upgrading to a 130 amp alt. The electrical work seems like it will be the biggest part of this one. When I get it done I'll let everybody know how it works. After the temps get over 20 degrees anyway.

#4 ·
So yourself a favor and go to the wreckers like pick n pull and try getting the fuses relay and harness from a 2000 ford contour it's cheap and will get your what you need. You can also grab some wiring from a mustang 5.0 from the 90's that has the 3G on it. That's what I did and it worked out great.

D

#6 ·
Awesome glad to hear it! Sometimes that place is great for this stuff

D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.