460 Ford Forum banner

motor mounts?

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Bronco Bart 
#1 ·
I am looking at solid swap mounts from summit. My question is if I go with solid motor mounts should I use a solid transmission mount also?

#4 ·
One piece body? What year are we talking about here?
Any chassis that is not set up with a 12 point or better cage set up will have too much flex for a solid mount set up, not to mention that side mounts are not the place to solid mount from....too much block flex, I've popped soft plugs out on a 'mild' build with standard mounts.
Rob

#6 ·
Its a 95 bronco. The solid swap mounts were $65 and the ruber swap mounts were $165. Was thincking that with the solid mounts I could drop the motor a little closer to the crosser under the motor without oil pan hitting when it torks. Had a driveshaft angle problem before with the front sump pan and the motor sitting to high have orderd the Ford racing rear sump pan figurd that would get me 3 inches maby and if I could get a little more the more the better

#10 ·
Look in the Vendor For Sale Section - InfoFord sells a set of frame perches that are made to use the Factory block plates and motor mounts, it sets the engine in the corect location and looks like a factory set up. I installed a set on my 1977 F250 4x4 and they work great.

#12 ·
With a production chassis use a solid mount ONLY on the drivers side. NEVER use a solid transmission mount unless the chassis is stiff, Stiff, STIFF.

#13 ·
I'm assuming here you are swapping in a 460 onto the existing 351/400 mounts. Im in the middle of the same thing with my 79 f250. I found some nice mounts from Jeffs Bronco Graveyard. Not solid, but only a urethane bushing around a 9/16" bolt. Mocked it up, they fit nice, look good and strong.

#19 ·
I have a set of those West Coast mounts in my '79. They are a good mount, lot better than that L&L junk. Only thing was I did take a pass with the tig around the outside (the face area that mates against the tower) of the bolt that goes through the mount and into the tower. I wasn't satisfied with what amounted to little more than a tack on the bolt heads on the inside of the mount. I had a set of the L&L's but after 2 years the rubber was starting to separate. I had gotten them off Ebay and they were listed for the later trucks. After looking at replacement parts on L&L's site I found the part numbers for the mount was the same for either years set so I went ahead and got them. The only difference with the later set was a plate that was maybe 5/16" that went between the mount and engine block to space it out for the later model trucks. So worse case, you might have to make a spacer plate or get a hold of me on here, I think I still have the plates somewhere around here.

#18 ·
Talked to the guy and he said they were made for87-89 Bronco but hase sold them to guys with newer trucks and said they told him they work so I guess I'll try them thanks

I went and looked at the cube van looked like you could make it work but they were in pritty rusty shape

#20 ·
Right on thanks that makes me feel better about getting these and not rilly noing ig they were going to work. Buddy said he doesent ship to Canada anymore but he would make a exception for me. As far as the spacer can you just put somthing like that in the mail or not worth it? Im sure I can make it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.