460 Ford Forum banner

429 high performance

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  rmcomprandy 
#1 ·
I want more power and also still be a good driver. I know I can stroke it and the sky's the limit but I'm thinking maybe around 521" as a max. size. Aluminum heads and a roller cam. like I said, a street motor maybe for power tour and cruising. a good beatin' once in awhile too. Max rpm 6500? could I build a motor for street cruise 2000 - 4000 and still turn it up to 6000 If I wanted. Is NOS the way to go? Lookin for around 550 hp na. Whaddya think?
DOVE a block and DOVE C heads right now. Ernie

#2 ·
could I build a motor for street cruise 2000 - 4000 and still turn it up to 6000 If I wanted. Is NOS the way to go? Lookin for around 550 hp na. Whaddya think?
DOVE a block and DOVE C heads right now. Ernie
Shouldn't be too difficult, but I'd use a flat tappet cam and aluminum heads.

#5 · (Edited)
At 521 inches your HP goals are easily attainable.

As an example we do a crate combo.

11 to 1 521
Pocket ported SCJ's with intake back cut
Port matched Torker 2 intake (at roof)
244/254 SFT cam for 9 to 1 dynamic c/r (pump gas friendly)
Comp ultra pro mag or PRW rockers.
Curved duraspark distributor
950 HP holley

SFT version makes 650 TQ and 615 honest HP at 5,700 and pulls like a freight train to 6300 +

Hydraulic roller with solid roller lifters and beehive springs makes 650 TQ and 630+ HP and pulls easily to 6500.

We have done 3 with the FRPP stroker kit with excellent results.

When done with the Scat kit and Icon reverse dome pistons power is even better due to better quench characteristics generated by the larger quench surface of the icon pistons vs. the .250" quench band on the FRPP's probe sourced pistons.

Either way this combo is a beast be it in a truck, mustang or torino.

With a simple back cut on the intakes, no pocket work, a bit less compression and cam 550 HP is easily attainable!

Take a look at the build on our FB page via this link and feel free to duplicate if you wish.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.857335937687127.1073741852.213179582102769&type=3

This combo can also be done with the AFR 270 heads.

S

#6 ·
429 Performance

thanks for the info! Especially the builds you have done. I'm still not sure which path I'm going to take, but Scott's recommendations are excellent. Thanks for the info. Just to throw another angle in the mix, does anyone stay 429 and go with a street performance build around 500 h.p. or would that be a little too high strung? Just a thought I'm considering. I don't read much on here about 429 builds, that's all.

#8 · (Edited)
thanks for the info! Especially the builds you have done. I'm still not sure which path I'm going to take, but Scott's recommendations are excellent. Thanks for the info. Just to throw another angle in the mix, does anyone stay 429 and go with a street performance build around 500 h.p. or would that be a little too high strung? Just a thought I'm considering. I don't read much on here about 429 builds, that's all.
Most people build 460's and strokers these days because it's not very expensive, and there's more piston choices, but a streetable 500+HP 429 is certainly do-able. I'm actually building a D0VE headed 429 for a customer right now, based on our Hustler package, that will make 525HP at 6000rpm. It'll definitely be more high rpm oriented, but that's what the customer wanted. Using some AFR 270's would make the same power possible with less cam, making it less high strung.

#7 ·
Give Randy Malik a shout out...........he has an engine your looking for.......standard stroke, scj heads, 600+ hp with hydraulic flat tappet cam, which was used in the EMC...maybe its still for sale, so sell what you got and buy that.

Cheers, Bob

#15 ·
That 455 cubic inch Big Block Ford is still very much for sale and is now buried in a storage unit merely collecting dust.

It is a 3.740" stroke ... between a 429 and 460 ... offset ground 429 production crank.

#9 ·
I'm at 429CI @ 11.3:1 iron headed SCJ Scotty's cam,torque converter and dist. Scott has me guessed at 500HP with his cam idel characteristics are great 93 octane no problem always pinged with old cam Scotty can grind you a cam that works with higher CR and when you lay your foot in it seems like it will rev as long as you have your foot on it. I've had this motor 30+ years and after going thur it this time it's never ran this awesome and the main change this time was new cam,dist& converter I think those 3 things matched with the rest of combo is was makes the deference

#10 ·
Carl makes a good point in that most clients elect to build 460's or stroke the combo further.

I have a balanced 429" rotating assembly intended for use in EMC which I was too busy to follow through with.

Balanced 4U crank
Eagle bushed SIR connecting rods
Diamond 7cc domed +.030" pistons.

It sits on the shelves in boxes collecting dust.

A smaller engine is somewhat more high strung for a given HP. In certain applications less low end torque is desirable.

In the end I'll likely build it and put a set of ported Police interceptor heads on it.

S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.