460 Ford Forum banner

460 carb questions

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Getting There 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I have do a lot research lately on carbs for my recent purchase. i just bought a 77 short box 4x4 with a 460 and c6. it seemed to run ok and had ok power. from a dead stop it seems to cough unless you very easily give it some gas. even when doing 35 you have to ease into. its a holley carb, not sure what size. i took it to one of my parts suppliers and got a rebuild kit for it. it was a genuine holley carb kit so i felt pretty good about it. rebuilt it and slapped it back on and it ran way better. still had a slight cough from the start but ran way better. that only lasted for about 20 miles till it farted back through the intake and went back to the way it was before. i believe it blew the powervalve back out with i think was the problem before. if i am wrong let me know. the carb kit was 80dollars i think so i dont really want to do that again. i am going to put my money towards a new one. i have read alot of articles about carbs and have decided on a 750 holley or a 750 edelbrock. the holley has the automatic kick down built on but the ede has to use some adapter plates. am i right? what is a better fit. as far as i know its bone stock at this point but i plan on upgrades. i attatched a picture of the carb numbers.
Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
My suggestion is to stay away from the Edelbrocks and go with the Holley. Infinitely more adjustable and the new carb that you buy will, in all likelihood, have the anti-backfire pellet already installed.....no more blown power valves. If it doesn't then the kit is only a few dollars; drill bit, ball and retainer.

From your description of the drivability problems with your current carb, I'd suggest checking the accelerator pump rod that pushes the diaphragm. When adjusted correctly, you'll have about .010" stroke left when the butterflies are wide open. Either that or a vacuum leak some where or there is a problem with the jetting or the squirter.
Rob

#4 ·
I think I would double check the ignition timing and make sure that it has enough initial. If it doesn't it can make it pop back through an otherwise good working carburetor. While it is possible that it could have blown the power valve it is easy to tell in that with a blown power valve the carburetor will be idling rich and the mixture screws will tend to have almost no effect. In other words it'll keep idling even with them screwed all the way in.

Many carburetor builders don't use and even remove the power valve protection device that comes in later Holleys because it tends to slow down the power valve's reaction to changes in manifold vacuum.

Reactions: glassguy87
#5 ·
Thanks for the feed back guys. I think i will go with the holley. my next question is should i go with a truck avenger 770 or just go with a regular 750. i dont know if i will be doing alot of hill climbing with it but if i want to i want to be able to do it. do these carbs work as well with upgrades later on?
https://www.holley.com/products/fue.../avenger/off-road_truck_avenger/parts/0-90770
I played with timing a little but not alot. maybe i need to make a bigger adjustment. where would a good spot be to set it at?

#6 ·
NEVER use a Holley Avenger carburetor they are terrible. Go with the 3310 or the one that's the same except for having an electric choke.

I'd try taking it up to 10 or 12 just to see what it does. If it is better you'll have to determine how much total timing you're getting in your particular engine with a given amount of initial because sometimes the curve in the distributor can be too long. I'd try to end up with 34-36 total but the initial is where you need to experiment first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.