460 Ford Forum banner

block help

6K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  161854 
#1 ·
Bought a clapped out 71 lincoln today with a 365 hp 460 in it it does have dove- c heads and intake on it and I was hoping for a dove block but struck out on that it's a D1VE 6015 aa block I've read conflicting things on this thing it's thick Web not thick Web can yall help clear this up I haven't pulled it yet damn tractor ran out of gas I'm guessing it to be 2 bolt still too

#2 ·
I have both thin and thick web blocks at the shop with the same casting numbers.

You will likely find a non D0VE style block but one NEVER knows.

I have a Date coded mid 1972 PI block at the shop that is 4 bolt main thick web.

S

#9 ·
Scott is your PI block a D0VE or D1VE and if it is a D0VE does anyone know how late ford continued to cast D0VE blocks?I have a 4 bolt that came out a 74 galaxie but had been thru Fred Jones and clearly not original to the car it had 70 casting date codes.It had been rebuilt to standard 429 specs.It would appear that back in the day FAR's didn't think much of 4 bolt blocks.

#4 ·
Bought a...71 Lincoln today with a 365 hp 460...it does have dove- c heads and intake on it...block...a D1VE 6015 aa block.
What you will find is that you have a standard-webbed 2-bolt passenger car block that was cast at the DIF foundry, essentially configured in detail as a "standard-webbed D0VE block."

And unless you are building for 4-figure hp and feel a great need to convert to 4-bolt as inexpensively and effectively as possible, you really ought not be disappointed since almost all 2-bolt passenger car blocks are capable of supporting more horsepower than most people dare subject them.

#5 ·
In addition to Paul's thoughtful comments...

The deck height was raised .010" in 1971 to 10.310" (Same as all 429 2V engines).

S

:D

#6 ·
Yup got the pig out today and pulled the pan just a standard Web block I was under the impression if the casting number was all in one line it was thin Web and if it was in two lines like mine is it was a thick Web but it is for sure a thin Web block sucks but I got a set of dove heads out of it may just sit it in the corner til I find me an old pickemup still a 365 horse motor

#7 ·
Though it is not a thick web block there is NOTHING wrong with that block. We have them with 2 bolt mains at 700+++ HP.

S

#13 ·
I'm glad we have a few that know about these number and where there from I have a dove-a 4 bolt block with boss bulk head serial# 1A134761 dose anyone know where they made this block or did they all come from Mi. Always kind of wondered I picked up this as a complete SCJ in 83 in south Florida I was told it came out of a Torino

#16 ·
Paul,
This is sort of off track of the OP but back in the mid to late 80's I was over at a local guy's place buying some Boss 429 &CJ stuff and one of the items he had for sale was a partially machined boss block cast in aluminum it had the external features of a stock block 4 bolt mains on the front 4 looked to have provision for wet sump looked as if it could have come out of ford molds but had gusseting in the lifter valley,the cam tunnel and main bores appeared done but that was it no lifter bores or deck machining no bolt holes rough cast cylinders.Found no evidence of a ford casting number or engraved XE or SK numbers there was a cast logo on the front of one of the cylinder banks that was P&J or P&S can't remember the second letter for sure.He had for years and thought it dated from the late 60's or early 70's.Have you or anybody else got any idea what this was from,I would have guessed the 494 can am boss program but lack of ford numbers leaves me stumped.

#18 ·
Paul,
...back in the mid to late 80's I was over at a local guy's place...and one of the items he had for sale was a partially machined boss block cast in aluminum it had the external features of a stock block 4 bolt mains on the front 4 looked to have provision for wet sump looked as if it could have come out of ford molds but had gusseting in the lifter valley,the cam tunnel and main bores appeared done but that was it no lifter bores or deck machining no bolt holes rough cast cylinders.Found no evidence of a ford casting number or engraved XE or SK numbers there was a cast logo on the front of one of the cylinder banks that was P&J or P&S can't remember the second letter for sure. He had for years and thought it dated from the late 60's or early 70's. Have you or anybody else got any idea what this was from,I would have guessed the 494 can am boss program but lack of ford numbers leaves me stumped.
Beats me, I'm a stock-block guy.

I did once view an aluminum block similar to what you describe, and it was presented as a 494 Can Am block. The first thing I noticed was it had a Boss front bulkhead but had standard oiling/was not drilled as priority mains. Can't tell you any more about either of them...

#17 ·
John , Sorry to jump in Paul's way but you likely saw a P&S foundry ( in Ohio) block casting. They were known for making "out of the ordinary" blocks in aluminum and some in magnesium.
Paul may have more info as well.

#20 ·
Dave,you asked the question I had in mind,while I believe there is no doubt that Ford was not afraid to use sub contractors,it would be awesome to find someone who had seen a fully machined block being used back in the day.Maybe Ford didn't assign XE or SK numbers until a finished product was delivered?

#21 ·
No all of the Ford blocks were done "in house". I have all of the SK numbers and descriptions for the various aluminum blocks and even the mag block Ford made.

#23 ·
So did P&S manufacture & market their blocks like modern aftermarket or was it more an individual basis someone ordered one and they made it to order?If on an individual basis it would seem they would be few and far between.I remember back in the day reading about Nicholsons all aluminum monster,did it use the same type heads as the XE or SK numbered aluminum 429 heads as shown on the mustangtek website?

#26 ·
I did come off a bit harsh there, sorry about that... It just seems to me that it would have been unlikely that Ford would have made non main stream parts like a magnesium block in house. I think they would have farmed it out instead to an outside vendor with tooling that would be reasonable for a short run of blocks or whatever. I've had several Ford aluminum intakes from that same era come through here and I think that all of them said, "Buddy Bar Casting Co.".. If Ford could cast blocks why would the farm out the intakes?

#27 ·
Sure Buddy Barr (10 miles away from here) did "most" of their aluminum intakes. Buddy Barr "used" to do Edelbrock's manifolds until the built their own foundry. They did not do blocks for Ford until the Ford Motorsports aluminum blocks were introduced. Sheffield also did a lot of die castings for Ford. The blocks were done on low volume prototype patterns in their aluminum foundry in the Detroit area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.