460 Ford Forum banner

Another 460 buld

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Money-pit 
#1 ·
Hey there. I'm new to the site but have been lurking around for quite a while. I am currently starting a rebuild of my mud truck and looking for some advice. I can't quite determine what I want out of my 460

Current status:
1977 ford 250
351M with c6 auto 4x4
Dana 44 front
Dana 60 rear
15-20" lift
38" boggers

Project:
Recently purchased 1974 460 from Lincoln Mark IV
Rockwell 2.5 ton axles
2wd c6 tranny
Np205 transfer case
56" tractor tires 12.4" wide
Also 44" swampers

Now. After the build, this truck will be kinda tall, beefy and is gonna beef some extra ponies to get my tires spinning fast enough to clean lugs.
That being said, I need some advice with my engine build.

My engine as it stands is a d1ve block. The heads on it are d8ve. Now I've scrubbed and scratched and I'm not mistaking them for d3ve.

My question is:
I don't want to port my block or build a stroker. I'd like to wait until the motor requires a bore. In the mean time I'd like to purchase some required hp accessories.
Should I port the heads I have now or invest in aftermarket heads such as trick flows? I'm not shy to spend cash, higher the price just means a couple extra weeks wait time.

Aside from heads, I need to purchase a carb specific to my application.
This truck wi?l be raced here and there. But not professionally.
I don't need to be mixing with race fuel either. I'm OK with 93 octane pump fuel.

Bottom line is engines and tuning are not my Forte. I'm an electrician by trade but I can handle challenges. I've built this truck solid without it breaking yet so I think I can tackle piecing this motor together.

Any advice and input is greatly appreciated.
I will post pictures of the build over the months to show you guys my progress.

Girlfriend is bugging for an engagement ring first. So, gimme a few weeks to deal with that :)

As the motor stands, it's stripped, cleaned and ready to be tinkered with.

Thanks guys

Devin
Ontario, Canada

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
All honesty
I don't have a budget
More it costs the little longer it'll take to build.

First question is about reliability. Can a 545 stroker last? Or is it gonna be like my snocross sled motor? This truck will be worked. Hauling trees. Dicking around at local mud runs. You know. Use the darn thing.

What about turbo builds?

My D1VE block won't have a problem with a 545 build?

#4 ·
It would be worth looking around for a D9 block. That cylinder block has longer cylinders making it more suitable for a stroker. The D1 is no deal breaker though, many people use them. The 4 3/8" stroke crank probably is the best choice for a 385 series stroker motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.