460 Ford Forum banner

Timing retards with rpm, distributor walk?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rmcomprandy 
#1 ·
I recently noticed some pinging around 2000-2500 rpm. Today I checked my timing and something odd noticed as rpms go up my timing advance decreases. I am not seeing the mechanical advance and its actually decreasing until I get up to around 4000 rpm then it suddenly goes.

My setup is at 4500 ft elevation, 79 ford f150 3.50 gears 35 inch tires. 9:1 compression d3 heads. I recurved the distributor when engine was swapped and had 38 total in by around 2500 rpm. I have the duraspark 2 system and using a 13L slot (26 degrees mechanical) 38 total with 12 initial.

Has ran great for years up until recent pinging. Bad gas? I added 91 octane when down to 1/2 tank plus booster and same problem. I usually run 85 octane and always run non ethanol.

This timing decrease is really bugging me. Is my distributor walking?

#3 ·
I did disconnect the vacuum advance and plugged it.

Over the weekend I played with the springs and still could not get it to have any mechanical advance. I swapped in a known working distributor and it works and runs great.

I supposed it was detonating because spark was to late at that rpm.

All the internal parts seem to function fine, I rigged up a driver for my electric drill and while spinning the distributor it appears that the weights spread out like they are supposed to. I wish I had a test machine.

#5 · (Edited)
It does move freely and snaps back just fine. I have it setup with spring tension just like the working distributor and still cannot get it to advance with rpm. When I intially installed it 3 years ago it worked great.

I hate to use a different distributor because the faulty one has the 13L slot that I want to use. But I fear that if something is wrong with the weights that if I swap it into the other distributor it won't work. I am very mechanically inclined and this baffles me.

#6 ·
Magnetic impulse trigger systems usually retard about 1 degree per 1,000 RPM or so, if the distributor is totally locked with no compensation.

I would say that the mechanical advance system within your distributor is not working correctly.
The only times I have ever seen "pinging" be more prevalent with the advance NOT working, happened because of the extra HEAT created in the combustion chamber created by the retarded ignition timing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.