460 Ford Forum banner

tow rig engine build head and crab question

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TommyK 
#1 ·
im thinking about building a 545 stroker for my tow rig i want a low compression pump gas engine with factory heads not sure wich head would work better the d3ve-a2a or d20e police interceptor head basicly i want to build a i beam dish piston motor with hydurlic rv cam my other question is would a 770 vac secondary carb be enough for a motor like this any input would be appericated thank you

#2 ·
If it is going to become a rig that will see a lot of miles, don't use a 4.5" stroke. A 4.3" stroke will give a much, MUCH longer service life.

RPM range and load weight will determine which camshaft it would require. A warmed-over, bowl ported pair of D3VE heads would probably do the job very well.

#3 ·
The 521 I built for my car hauler ( max rpm 4,500) uses D2OE heads ( exhaust bowl work per Scotty's site) and the SCJ iron intake. I am using a list # 7010 Holley which is "around" 700 cfm and vacuum secondary. It has a very small hydraulic roller which I had made and 9.2 cr for use with 87 octane. The goal is 500 hp but 600 tq. Hasn't made it to the dyno yet. I will post the numbers when it does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.