460 Ford Forum banner

Street Q Carburetors

5K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  CarsByCarl 
#1 ·
Has anybody used the Quick fuel SQ series carburetors? I was pricing several 950s and saw that these are quite a bit cheaper than their Q series counterparts.

Quick Fuel Technology's new Street-Q carburetor is intended to deliver legendary Q-Series performance to hardcore street enthusiasts at a reduced price. The major differences between the Street-Q and the race-bred Q-Series is the substitution of cast metering blocks and a cast throttle body in place of fully-machined billet components. All of the critical functionality is retained - 2-circuit metering, downleg boosters, Ford A/T kickdowns, 700-R4 bracket mounting holes and the ability to mount brackets for Chrysler vehicles. Available sizes include 650, 750, 850, and 950cfm for mechanical secondary models, and a 750 vacuum secondary is also offered.
SQ-950 Street-Q Carburetor 950cfm - Quick Fuel Technology

Main reason I'm asking is the car in question will be run down the track, but is more of a street legal weekend warrior type deal. I'm not carb expert, so I was wondering if these are worth what they are asking or not.

#2 ·
Has anybody used the Quick fuel SQ series carburetors? I was pricing several 950s and saw that these are quite a bit cheaper than their Q series counterparts.

SQ-950 Street-Q Carburetor 950cfm - Quick Fuel Technology

Main reason I'm asking is the car in question will be run down the track, but is more of a street legal weekend warrior type deal. I'm not carb expert, so I was wondering if these are worth what they are asking or not.
I've sold a few of them, and they're really nice. Lots of top end features at almost half the price. With the cast baseplate and metering blocks, it kind of has the look of an old-school 850DP that somebody upgraded at home. I'm a big fan of the Q1050AN with annular boosters for street use, but if you have a high stall, or smaller budget, the SQ950 is a nice option.

#6 ·
The opposite really. They require less signal to initiate fuel flow, and they do a better job of atomizing the fuel, so you can use them in a larger carb without the low end performance losses you typically see with downleg boosters.

Here's a link to an old article about the differences between downleg and annular.
--> Annular Vs. Dogleg Carburetor Showdown - Car Craft Magazine

#5 ·
Hopefully they are better than their SS series. I had an 850 in that series come through here a few years ago and it was absolutely the most poorly calibrated out of the box carburetor ever, terrible, horribly rich at part throttle but OK at wide open. Very poorly implimented el cheap-o electric choke too.

#7 ·
The important stuff is there and the romantic stuff is left out ... that is how the price stays lower.

They work well.

Reactions: Nitemare69
#13 ·
That Proform main body is a pretty cool low cost option. I've rebuilt a couple old Holleys before but for the initial start up, I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the Quick Fuel and have them set it up. It's more money, but it's peace of mind firing up a new engine and breaking in a cam. Buy once, cry once....

Reactions: CarsByCarl
#18 ·
Bump.

Quick Fuel has some sale prices going on before Christmas through various venders and themselves so it's about time I get the last piece of the puzzle.

@ Carl (Or anyone else with $.02): Do you feel the 1050-AN is going to be worth it on a 466" AFR headed street/strip engine over the 950-AN? I know you have suggested it and I can't recall you taking a hard stance one way or another, but every calculator I use puts me right around 950 CFM needed. I'm just worried a 1050 even with the annular boosters will be too much carb and offer worse response on the street than the 950-AN would.

#19 ·
I think we covered this over the phone, but for anyone else who's interested.... in my opinion the 1050-AN is hard to beat. I've used in on a wide variety of engines (429-557 ci), and it just flat out works, even when conventional wisdom says it shouldn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.