460 Ford Forum banner

Sounds like a diesel at idle

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  junkyardjeff 
#1 ·
I have a mid 70s 460 that when warm sounds like a diesel at idle,goes away when I hit the gas and has plenty of oil pressure so where would I start looking for the cause. Its a Jasper reman motor with around 30,000 miles on it,I will try to get a video of it running.

#8 ·
Alright, lets restart at the beginning.....What's your timing set at? What kind of fuel does it have in it (octane, fresh or old, something that's been sitting in the tank for a year)? Compression ratio/heads you're running? What oil are you using? Is it missing or acting funny other than the noise? Have you done a compression and leakdown test? Have you gotten a stethoscope out and listened to if it's coming from the upper or lower end? Too many variables, too many things that can rattle, and without it sitting here next to the rest of us for us to hear, you'll have to give us some detailed information for us to help......

Lucas

#9 ·
Timing at 10 degrees and gas is usually 87 octane and no pinging and fresh,I think D3 heads and running on all 8 and have not done a stethoscope yet but will do after I put some brats on the grill and sounds like its coming from the front of the motor and 10w40 oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.