460 Ford Forum banner

Eddy VS holley???

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  DaveMcLain 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i got 2 questions here. I've done a search (for a few hours actually) and my results are back and forth so i thought id ask y'all for your opinion.

ill first off tell you about my set up

1970 lincoln 2 door (5000 pound car)
Dove block and heads
Eddy 750 vacuum secondary
1" 4 hole carb spacer
Eddy performer intake (non RPM)
heads are self ported as to scotties site
factory sized valves
cast 11cc dished pistons (factory pistons)
XE 262H comp cam 218/224 @.050 with .513/.520 lift
comp 3/8 pushrods
comp steel roller tip rockers (1.72)
comp single outer valve springs
comp timing set
short block is bone stock from factory
14* initial timing
35* total all in at 2500 rpm
Hkr long tube headers 3" pipes into flow master hush power mufflers
C6 tranny
hughes 2500 stall converter
3:50 posi gears.

Now my questions

ball park HP on that set up?

i can get my hands on a holley 850 DP for a good price, would changing to that carb make a world of difference or am i just wasting my money and time to switch everything over?

See less See more
#2 ·
The large diameter of the venturi(s) as well as poor booster signal strength in an 850 carb is a no go in a lead sled like yours. Whats more your HP output at best is going to be 440 to 450 HP if the heads flow well. A 750 cfm carb is plenty.

A holley 750 with proper vacuum secondary spring will out perform a 750 eddy however it is not imo worth the cost of the new carburetor.

As a side note I use a modified 650 HP holley from Bobby at comp carbs in this type of application. It flows 740 cfm and the throttle response is off the charts.

S

#3 ·
Thanks scottie, my Eddy 750 runs well, I'm getting a little bit better a tuning using their "calibration kit" but my neighbors are ready to kill me and burn my car I'm sure. I'm a little OCD when it comes to tuning things in and running right. i think ill pass on the 850. but I'm interested in this modified 650 holley, is this something anyone can purchase? if so what do they run? but more importantly is it something ill feel in the car or is it something you see on a dyno sheet? this is no race car by any means but i love putting a smile on peoples face when they cruise around with me.

Also where is my bottle neck in my set up? in future what would be the next upgrade to get some more ponies outta it?

I have a extra pair of DOVE heads I'm thinking of getting ready with some hardened seats, another port job, retainers topped and cut for PS seals and some bigger valves. or do you think I'm better off to get a set of Eddy performer aluminum heads? I'm trying to stay with the stock style heads cause my exhaust was just done and wasn't cheap.

Thanks

#4 ·
I had the Eddie performer 750 on my combo and it performed well and was easy to tune, the only time it didn't work well is when I built a new combo and installed a performer rpm intake. When I installed the Holley terminator EFI system the dyno results were negligible, and the throttle bottle is rated upto 950cfm. My point is the Eddie will serve you well if you don't get too crazy and don't want to spend money, but if you want to then buy a carb like Scotty's 650.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
I think so. I really like it I get about 15mpg on the highway. It's not cheap but that with my overdrive its amazing.

I liked using the calibration kits with the eddies they are nice.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.