460 Ford Forum banner

Blower motor question????

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Epyon 
#1 ·
I've got a thunder jet 429 untouched DOVE block and heads, I have a 460 crank ready for the build. I'm looking at putting a 8-71 blower on it and have a few questions. ill be putting forged rods and pistons in but need to know how I'm gonna get my compression down to 8:1 or so. id like to keep the 460 crank since I've already got it and its been ground and polished ready to go.

can someone set me up with a rod and piston combo that would work with my crank and heads? and what thickness head gasket and deck height should be? any pistons i see only get down to 22cc dish and thats still puts me around 9.5 on the comp calculator. can i use 8.7" rods with the appropriate piston with a 460 crank? because the pistons for 8.7" rods get to 39cc dish which would help a lot.

this motor is more less for show, I'm not looking at high numbers or a monster at the track. I'm kinda new to this forced induction stuff and don't have much knowledge on it so go easy on me.

#2 · (Edited)
I've got a thunder jet 429 untouched DOVE block and heads, I have a 460 crank ready for the build. I'm looking at putting a 8-71 blower on it... ill be putting forged rods and pistons in but need to know how I'm gonna get my compression down to 8:1 or so.

can someone set me up with a rod and piston combo that would work with my crank and heads? and what thickness head gasket and deck height should be? any pistons i see only get down to 22cc dish and thats still puts me around 9.5 on the comp calculator. can i use 8.7" rods with the appropriate piston with a 460 crank?

This motor is more less for show, I'm not looking at high numbers or a monster at the track...

Use the cheap and plentiful (ported) D3VE head @ 95cc with the KB Icon IC635 (15cc dish) and you can manage 8.8:1.

Also, Summit still shows they have Probe 2404's at 0.060" overbore in stock, and those have a 24cc dish. That would get you down to 8.3:1.

A D3VE headed blower engine could make 800 hp on pump gas, for example, maybe less for your street "show" build. But I would think it would still make plenty of power.

(A 39cc dished piston with the 6.605" rod (for use with your D0Ve heads) would be a custom order deal right now.)

:D D3VE's forever! :D

#4 ·
Ya know....on occasion I might post a statement such as, "I might do that with a personal build but never on a customer build." This is definitely not one of those times--I would not use stock rods on a turbocharged 385 Series engine, not with all the superior rod choices out there.

Your original post said you'd "be putting forged rods and pistons in" and I assumed you meant aftermarket rods.

With a lighter-than-stock piston and the boosted application maybe the stock rods could work....but if one got kicked out then you'd look pretty foolish in the eyes of many for even trying. :)

#7 ·
I've got a thunder jet 429 untouched DOVE block and heads, I have a 460 crank ready for the build. I'm looking at putting a 8-71 blower on it... ill be putting forged rods and pistons in but need to know how I'm gonna get my compression down to 8:1 or so.

can someone set me up with a rod and piston combo that would work with my crank and heads? and what thickness head gasket and deck height should be? any pistons i see only get down to 22cc dish and thats still puts me around 9.5 on the comp calculator. can i use 8.7" rods with the appropriate piston with a 460 crank?

This motor is more less for show, I'm not looking at high numbers or a monster at the track...

Use the cheap and plentiful (ported) D3VE head @ 95cc with the KB Icon IC635 (15cc dish) and you can manage 8.8:1.

Also, Summit still shows they have Probe 2404's at 0.060" overbore in stock, and those have a 24cc dish. That would get you down to 8.3:1.

A D3VE headed blower engine could make 800 hp on pump gas, for example, maybe less for your street "show" build. But I would think it would still make plenty of power.

(A 39cc dished piston with the 6.605" rod (for use with your D0Ve heads) would be a custom order deal right now.)

D3VE's forever!

Hey Paul I'm gathering parts for this build and have another question. I have a brand new summit 3501 cam sitting at home. They claim it's supercharger cam?? The lift doesn't seem to crazy on it but I also have 1.8 comp rockers i can use with it.

Will this cam be alright? Or should I go the custom ground way instead?

#8 ·
Hey Paul I'm gathering parts for this build and have another question. I have a brand new summit 3501 cam sitting at home. They claim it's supercharger cam?? The lift doesn't seem to crazy on it but I also have 1.8 comp rockers i can use with it.

Will this cam be alright? Or should I go the custom ground way instead?

guess not...

thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.