460 Ford Forum banner

11/1997 F350 460 EFI 4x4 auto crew- Exhaust ?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RLS7201 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
Recently got a 97 f350 off Ebay....very clean, about 105,000 miles. no air pump on it and no air injection on the exhaust manifolds.
I am sure some of you are aware, must have been several changes right at 97...my door sticker shows 11/97.
That has complicated obtaining parts a little bit.
We pull horses to shows and needless to say, my teenage son....loves trucks. Now we have 3 trucks.
My goal is to make it dependable, don't want any breakdowns.
So Far, have changed:
PS pump and hoses
Heavy Duty belts.
Water pump and 3 hoses
Thermostat
all the pulleys.
ALL fluids...wow, that was a lot. synthetic mostly.
Most sensors on the engine...finally got the check engine light off.
I will change the air intake soon.
We just installed Hedman Headers (89468)...the Cat will not be put back on.
Stock manifold was leaking a lot. And installing headers is just as hard as it was 40 years ago.
I still have to connect the EGR tube, waiting on a part.

Ok, the question:
Muffler guys says to use 2.5" pipes, dual in / out of Magnaflow.....he says 3" will not function properly and rob me of torque.
and the timing, have read that i should advance it a couple degrees. Can i do that on this EFI engine?

Oh, and Holy Cow, I want a bit more power.....LOL.
But, i am not pulling the heads or buying a crate engine (yet)....farm keeps me busy.

Thank you
John Casey
Buford, Ga.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a great truck, and you're going the right way. Dual 2.5" actually out flows a single 3", but not as much as most people would think. So, in common THEORY, a single 3" should make more torque. I run a single 3" on my truck that is very similar to yours, and am totally happy with it. You can turn the timing up, just disconnect the SPOUT connector first (google 1997 f350 SPOUT connector location, most are on the driver's side firewall area) and it takes all the electronic advance out of it for setting base timing. Usually 12-14 degrees base seems happy on them. There's a lot of threads on this very subject, if you do on search for it on this forum, you will come across the most common steps and order to do them in. :grin:

Lucas

#3 ·
I run a complete Banks exhaust system on a 1995 460/528, EFI, 20,000# class A motorhome. It's 3" from the "Y" pipe back.
Gail Banks designs and tests all his stuff on a chassis dyno.
So, I suspect a 3" single exhaust is optimum for our type of service.

Richard

#5 ·
In oem configuration (or close to it) 3" exhaust is more than adequate for your needs.

Dual 2.5" pipe will out flow the single 3". This type of set up would be better if you plan upgrades down the road.

A well sorted out EFI combo can easily make 525 Tq and 400+ hp in regular fuel towing configuration. Ask me how I know.:D

Bump the timing to 13 or 14 with the spout disconnected.

Get the exhaust out.

Free breathing air filter with the oem intake is fine. Removing the silencers will help top end power at the expense of low end torque in OEM configuration.

S

#6 ·
More on the equation of dual ver single exhaust.
Single exhaust offers more low end torque, unless you use a "X" or "H" pipe on dual exhaust.
Then there is the noise and droning of poorly designed dual exhaust.
If you're looking for lasting durability, single exhaust will not rot out as quickly as dual exhaust.
You mileage may vary. Mine is about 7 MPG! GRIN

Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.