460 Ford Forum banner

FORD 460 BUILD HELP!

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  kwp777 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I just purchased a 71' ford f250. After checking the codes on the engine, I discovered it is a 429/460. These are the codes on the block ( D1VE 6015 AA ) The heads (D3VE A2A). It has a Mallory Unilite Distributor / vac, and a Carter 600cfm carb. I want to build a solid long lasting every day type of driver. I am in Phx, AZ. I am looking for advice on machine work, cam, intake, carb, etc. Thank you!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Is the engine automatically going to come out or if the engine is sound, is it going to be altered? How many miles are on the engine?
First, I would warm the engine up, remove the plugs, pin the carb open, and do a compression test to see where things stand and then go from there.
I my mind, for sure I would install headers, a 2 1/2" exhaust system with an "H" pipe and "straight thru" mufflers such as Magnaflows. A new carb such as a 750cfm Road Demon, and recurve the distributor. And I would replace the timing chain and gears, making sure that the timing gears were of the "straight up" kind. This is of course, is if the engine is sound.
If the engine does not pass the compression test, then it will be another course to follow, however, the things mentioned above are still to be done.

#3 ·
I just completed the compression test. All cylinders are right at 150 psi. There is a street master intake, carter 600cfm carb, and 2 1/2" exhaust ( no h pipe). I am on board with the 750cfm, headers, performer intake ( non rpm ). If the compression is ok, what other test should I have done? Do I need to have someone look into what cam and crank is in it or if there could be any other large issues? I hope to build a strong long lasting motor with gas mileage in mind. I do not know what rear end is in it as of yet. I appreciate your reply!

#4 ·
I would measure the stroke through the spark plug hole to verify that it is in fact a 429. Next I would beg, borrow or steal a boroscope to try and determine if it has dished or flat top pistons to estimate the static compression ratio. Then I would remove the timing cover to see what kind of timing chain set it has and see if there are any numbers on the cam to try and figure out what it is.

#6 ·
Kenny you've already gotten and followed excellent advice one other item is a distributor with proper mechanical and vacuum advance curves for your application.Even though you already have a performance type dist. you should still verify it is giving you the proper advance.A malfunctioning or poorly curved distributor is so often the root cause of poor performance or fuel mileage from an otherwise sound engine.After getting your exhaust,carb,and intake upgrades done,verifying the timing set and getting carb jetting and ignition timing dialed in your 460 may turn out to be exactly what you are looking for.

#9 ·
Kenny,with the D3VE heads even if the engine is a 71 spec shortblock with the smaller oval dish pistons compression should be pump gas compatible unless there has been heavy milling of the block deck and heads.If you try to switch to D0VE heads you will need to positively identify what volume piston dish and block deck height you have ,if your engine has the 10.300 deck height with 68-71 style pistons or 88-91 EFI pistons with D0VE heads that will push your compression to a point that may not live with pump gas.The probability of 68-71 style pistons isn't very likely its been a long time since those pistons have been used,I tried finding new replacements back in the early 80's and was told they were no longer available back then.As far as HP goes no idea but when you get your upgrades and tuning done take it for a drive and see what your butt dyno tells you to see if your happy,if you need a number see if there is a local shop that has a chassis dyno and run it on the rollers.That would be helpful on getting your tuning dialed in to boot.

#10 ·
Thank you John! I have some parts on the way and will be keeping them on the shelf a few weeks until I have everything I need ( in my mind ).
I tell you what, after reading these forums, I am becoming totally addicted to learning more. It is a blast! I listed some parts below. I would love to hear you ideas as to where I am going. May not need some of this, but, I am OCD and cannot help it. I really appreciate the time you all have taken for your input!!!

water pump................. landed
mechanical fuel pump.... landed
timing chain (3keyway).. shipped
intake......................... from what I have read, Edelbrock performer ( non rpm ) is my choice
carb .......................... Carter 9734S 600cfm on it now. I will go with Holley 750cfm if need be, or, get Carter rebuilt. I hear often times too much fuel is sucked in to only ruin the rings. This is above my novice understanding. I am hoping for some fuel efficiency, but, I want what is right for my new best friend (Ford Big Block)
mechanical oil pump...... I have read this will be just fine.
PVC valve................... Only has on passenger side going to carb. I hope this is ok as I have read so many things

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.