460 Ford Forum banner

SCJ head question

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  The Mad Porter 
#1 ·
Friend of mine has a C9VE 460 jammed into a late 60's t-bird and is looking for some more power, he just recently purchased a set of SCJ heads that he wants to install (along with other bolt ons) can you safely bolt on a set of SCJ aluminum heads (from summit) onto a untouched c9ve block with factory +11cc Oval dished Pistons?

Reason I ask this question is, I've read you need to machine valve reliefs so the piston and valve head don't touch. Can anyone 100% verify this?

#2 ·
The flat wedge angle of the SCJ intake valve does not require a notch with a cam smaller than 230@ .050" duration HFT.

RPM intake
SCJ-A heads with intake valve back 27 degrees
227 / 241 custom voodoo cam on a 111 lsa
properly curved distributor
750 carburetor

The above will make over 500 hp and be fine on pump gas with 28 to 30 degrees total timing, 160 stat, no intake manifold heat.
The first itineration of the 460 in my 12.99 LTD project was a variation on the above. Reringed, 0 decked, Ported heads and intake, less cam 510 hp / 562 tq.

Don't forget the appropriate 2500 to 2800 stall convertor and some gear in the back of that heavy weight.

Your buddy will not be disappointed if you follow my instructions. :D

Stan Johnson at FPA has headers for him as well. 253-848-9503
Ford Powertrain Applications

Enjoy. :D

S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.