460 Ford Forum banner

New guy wants advice on blown 460

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  billyboy132 
#1 ·
OK guys here goes. I'm new to 460's and blown motors. We trashed our alcohol injected 302 in our altered and my dad and brother dont want to run alky anymore! So we decided to step up to a 460 with the intention of building a blown motor. The old 302 was just shy of 600hp on alky and in the meantime we are running a borrowed 400 chevy dyno'd at 537hp on gas which a friend has spare. I have a 460 in the garage and want to make sense of where to go with it. Go easy on me, i know some of my questions may be repeats, and some of my ideas may be different to others, or maybe even seems stupid. If so, tell me politely please!!

So the known entities at the moment are:

Chromoly tube chassis with austin bantam replica body - I dont have an exact weight but i know its below 800kg (1763lbs)as was. I appreciate the 460 will add some weight
I have what appears to be a 1987 460 engine, head casting number is E7TE which from reading would indicate a FI engine. However, form reading, and i stand corrected, if the valve cover bolts around the perimeter of the head its a carburetor head?? Also, i have a blower manifold sat on it which fits fine.
As much as i want to take this engine as far as possible in time. Finances are limited and the first incarnation of the engine will need to be relatively mild. I would like SCJ or fancier heads in the future but racing is a hobby and i dont have a pile of gold to throw at the engine. I know some will say blown 460 and cheap dont fit in the same sentence, and ive seen some forums where people have been pretty harsh about that!

So from reading so far this is what i understand. Again, please correct me and give me pointers based on your skills and experience.

I want to keep the stock heads for now as I have them. I ported the 302 heads and am not afraid to do some porting with these. I know it will be nowhere near the capabilities of a pro but in the interest of cost it will have to do unless completely pointless? I will even keep sotck valve sizes for now. I've seen roller rockers from a couple of suppliers that fit without machine work. Are they worthwhile or am I wasting my time?

From reading a stock crank is fine but rods are questionable? If possible i'd keep the rods for the time being (no intention of running over 6000rpm) but if this is crazy then i accept that. I do have a set of truck rods with ARP bolts. I will have the bottom end balanced.

Ive read comments that a 6-71 is too small for a 460? Bearing in mind the blower is a big investment and i plan to take the engine further in time. My friend I bought the manifold from has a 6-71 for sale. But if this is not a good idea i will happily take advice. There is currently a blower shop 8-71 front discharge billet aluminium blower for sale on our drag racing pages in the UK.

Forged pistons are obviously a must and i need to keep compression down. I dont have any major questions other than, is there a piston that i could use that will still be useable if i buy SCJ or other aftermarket heads?
Camshaft - i've heard comments of using RV cams for blower applications?? Or do i just go straight in for a blower cam?

Ive seen varying comments on mains girdles from essential to a waste of time! Any advice again will be considered

It seems by cheapeast and easiest distributor solution is a Mallory Unilite with a crab cap but they dont make them anymore and finding second hand in the UK would be a task!

I'm sure i'll have more questions in time but i'll leave it there for now.

Thanks for any advice

See less See more
#3 ·
I did read your thread actually and some good advice. There is of course comment on con rods and as much as i'd love to save the cost of an aftermarket set I feel asking the question was a mistake! I think i have to accept the reality as i certainly dont want to be seen as one of these who asks for advice then throws it back as it doesnt suit me!!

#4 ·
yes i wouldn't skip out on rods, as much as i would have loved to save the money too. I'm gonna use the Summit 3501 cam to start out with. a few BBC builders around here said it would be alright with my intended use. if I'm not happy i will slide in a more aggressive blower specific cam. i do plan on driving this thing to shows that are upwards to 5 hours away so keeping mine somewhat on the safer side is good.

#6 ·
Thanks I'll beat that in mind. Was really hoping for a lot more advice after reading the valuable responses to old posts. Particularly on blowers as there's a blower shop 8-71 front discharge blower for sale over here and i'"" have the cash for it if I can sell a 289 engine I have. As you can imagine second hand blowers aren't as plentiful over here. As for my heads I double checked the number and they are E5TE so very much appreciate any advice on suitability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.