460 Ford Forum banner

Header flanges

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Paul Kane 
#1 ·
I am thinking about swapping motors from an EFI to carb 460 and the issue is I have EFI flanges on my headers. I know flanges are available at Summit but how practical of an idea is it to cut off old flanges and weld on the new ones? Finding another set that will fit will be difficult because this motor has been transplanted into a Jeep pickup so finding a new set is difficult. Let me know what you guys think.

#2 · (Edited)
Lots of guys have done it. BBC headers are more common than our BBF heads, and have close to the same port spacing so they are a usual candidate.

I'm about to re-flange a set of fox swap headers because the passenger car 1 7/8" port is big enough to cover the exhaust port on my heads, but places the port 1/4" too low. It's more work, but these types of headers are not cheap and new flanges are.

Also, have you considered keeping the EFI and working with it? I'd have rather put Ford EFI stuff on my 4x4 but ended up with a 454 TBI unit on top due to price and the ability to use my carb heads and manifold. My carb flooded all the time on hill climbs or off camber situations.

Wish FiTech had existed at the time. Hands down I would have thrown one of those and a Walbro pump on.

#3 ·
Thanks for your insights. I have had an aftermarket GM OBD1 ECU for the past 10 years and it served me well. My issue is that is seems like if you want to supercharge or go for bigger HP (600+) it seems like going with EFI becomes difficult and the parts options start to become fewer and fewer. My current EFI is a multiport system that I can reflash and tune as the need arises so I have no complaints about that or the reliability. I have not had any experience with Wish FiTech. Do they make the EFI hardware for the aftermarket?

#7 ·
I am thinking about swapping motors from an EFI to carb 460 and the issue is I have EFI flanges on my headers. I know flanges are available at Summit but how practical of an idea is it to cut off old flanges and weld on the new ones?
You might need to cut and reweld, but it might also be possible that a set of standard port header flanges will serve as adapters to your EFI header flanges if they are sandwiched between your current headers and carb heads. I haven't personally checked to see if such a setup would seal all the way around the two port shapes in question but it's worth investigating before cutting.

Also, I happen to have a set of perfect BBF header flanges for the standard passenger car ports that I was going to offer for sale in the auction block--PM me or call directly if interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.