460 Ford Forum banner

Forged pistons 429 D0VE heads

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  CarsByCarl 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering what my options are. What I have is is a 1970 ford torino cobra with numbers matching drive train. I want to keep it this way, with making some performance upgrades. I am having problems finding a forged piston that is going to work with pump gas, without making some major changes to components! Is there anything out there that will keep me around that 10:1 compression ratio? Some info: 429 tj, stock rotating assembly, D0VE-A heads (stock), Edelbrock torker 2 intake, comp cams 34-602-5, four speed, 4.30 gear rear end. I want to keep it within pump gas specs. I live at, or around 5,000ft elevation. What are my best options? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Phil

#2 · (Edited)
At that altitude run the forged flat tops at 0 to .005" below deck. The cam specs are such that you wont have any detonation issues at 5000 feet alt. Though DCR is too high at sea level at 9.13 to 1 your 5000 foot altitude drops that to 8.13 to 1 which is perfectly fine. Since the DA will be a minimum 5000' I see no issue here.

I have high compression EFI crate engines at that altitude with small cams running higher DCR on pump gas easily.

As a side note block heat through the intake.

Anything you can do to get the exhaust side of the heads flowing better is going to be very critical given the long duration and the tight lobe separation of the cam. Back cut intake and exhaust valves 27*. The tight lobe sep is also not going to like manifolds on the exhaust side.

S

#4 ·
Scotty knows his stuff. I always learn from his posts. You have a cool build it sounds like. I have a 429 that I ran D0VE-C heads for 20 years on pump gas (93 octane) with 10.5:1. When speaking with Scotty about cam and head upgrades he also advised me on the timing curve. I run a Ford Duraspark distributor. I tuned the ignition per his advice (recurved the dizzy) and that helped a lot on pump gas. I used a reluctor from an 85 5.0 HO to limit my total advance so I could set my initial and then backed off my vacuum advance (with the hex key in the vaccum line hole) and have been very happy with the driveability. Of course I am no where near the altitude you are but just wanted share the importance of tuning and support the good advice you already got from Scotty. Good luck with the car, I would love to see some pics!

Reactions: Dads70cobra
#5 ·
We are currently doing a numbers matching N code 429 engine for a Torino cobra owner in Idaho that will be used at 2000 to 4000' elevation.

I am using forged flat tops for 11 to 1 static c/r and 227 / 241 custom HFT cam.
With Budget ported Dove heads, performer intake and Jomar power cone this combo will easily make 440+ hp at our sea level altitude. The 10.2 to 1 460 version done recently made 494 hp with the same cam and rpm intake.

Essentially the same thing you are doing excepting your intake duration is significantly longer.

If the heads were not ported I would expect no more than about 380 hp.

Given your altitude and displacement you would be better served by a dual plane intake.

S

#6 ·
put a factory replacement FORGED FLAT TOP back in it,and use a thicker head gasket, DONE

#7 ·
He is at 5,000 foot elevation...

S

#8 ·
So, I need to be a bit more accurate. I guess I was still thinking from back in my snowmobiling days, up in the mountains. My house now, is at 3300 ft. I plan on running the car around there mostly with the occasional run up to 5000 ft. So what I have so far, and please feel free to give advice: D0VE-A 2 bolt block, stock 429 crank, stock rods, .030 over forged 2366 pistons by speed pro (flat top w/1 valve relief), 34-602-5 comp cam, Edelbrock torker 2 (shaker clearance, and cam shaft match), I am starting the port process on the heads this weekend, I have the FPA headers that go into a 2 1/2" Flowmaster system. What can I do to maximize my setup? What carb would you recommend? Your help is greatly appreciated. At this point I am more confused than anything, because everybody says something different. So, I'm turning to the experts! I plan to use your budget porting instructions on the heads, Scott. If there is something I should do differently, please, by all means, let me know. Thanks again guys! Phil

#10 ·
What's the application? Just a fun drive around car? Racing?

Is this this cam? 34-602-5 - Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts

If so, I think you'll be fine with everything you have. The Torker II will help reduce cylinder pressure at lower rpms to stave off detonation, so I'd keep that. A vac secondary carb will also help reduce low rpm cylinder pressure. The Holley 870 Avenger would be a good choice. Maybe get some more free flowing mufflers too.

If you're still nervous about the static compression, and have a machine shop nearby, you could also take the pistons to them and have a small dish machined into them. 10cc or so would be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.