Need Help With 460 Industrial Engine - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

5Likes
  • 5 Post By Paul Kane

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Need Help With 460 Industrial Engine

Does any one have any information on the Ford Power Products Industrial 460 engines made in the early 1990's - considering buying one that was used to power an Onan generator - engine has 543 hours - has 429SCJ intake manifold - I would like to know compression ratio - piston type - cam information. Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

For the love of god,do yourself a favor and walk the other direction. Hope you didn't buy it. Stick with engines from passenger cars and light trucks....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:34 AM

Unless you can get it free and plan on stroking it....(only using the block in other words).

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldeford View Post
Does any one have any information on the Ford Power Products Industrial 460 engines made in the early 1990's - considering buying one that was used to power an Onan generator - engine has 543 hours - has 429SCJ intake manifold - I would like to know compression ratio - piston type - cam information. Thank you in advance for any help.
Nice engine, basically the same as a 460 Marine. It should have the iron SCJ intake, SCJ camshaft (216*/220*@0.050), full-groove main bearings, D6TE truck rods with football-head bolts, heads are packed with slightly different valve train parts (all good), and in your particular case ("early 1990's" engine) it might even have forged flat top pistons. Lastly, it should have either E6TE or E8TE heads, which are basically D3VE heads with hardened seats (and one different accessory bolt thread on one end--no big deal).

OEM dish tops: 7.8:1
OEM Flat Tops: 8.8:1

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:06 PM

I'm lost, I thought all industrial and heavy truck engines where a no no....dually noted.

I'm actually a tad embarrassed. I had a bad experience and inexperienced. through my research I thought I gained a little knowledge in this area...(obviously not). I shouldn't have posted. I thought that I mighta knew what I was talking about, being that your thread went so long unanswered.

My apologies, I could have costed you a good engine buy.

I'm just a spectator and will act accordingly.
My apologies.

Last edited by Fordman1971; 05-22-2017 at 05:27 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Gentlemen, the wealth of knowledge on this forum is amazing and the fact that you are willing to share it is unprecedented. Thank you very much for taking time to answer my questions. Fortunately, I was able to purchase the engine and can move forward with confidence that it will be an excellent choice for my project.

Last edited by Oldeford; 05-23-2017 at 06:12 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1971 View Post
I'm lost, I thought all industrial and heavy truck engines where a no no...
It's a simple misunderstanding as we are now talking about two different engine lines and applications: 460 Industrial vs 429 Commercial. Each has its own parts make up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldeford View Post
Gentlemen, the wealth of knowledge on this forum is amazing and the fact that you are willing to share it is unprecedented. Thank you very much for taking time to answer my questions. Fortunately, I was able to purchase the engine and can move forward with confidence that it will be an excellent choice for my project.
With FoMoCo engineering revisions, the "J" (ie, D3JE-AA") stands for "Industrial/Marine." Please use this thread to report on what you find in inside that engine because in times of shortages it's not uncommon for big manufacturer lines to sometimes grab whatever unintended parts are available and keep a line going. I've seen this a lot on the passenger car stuff but I don't think I've seen it on the Marine/Industrial stuff...then again I don't know for sure if I've seen a FPP engine from a 1990's co-generator and so I can't be positive it will have those pistons (the Marine engine would).

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.