Need advice on resetting valve lash during engine break in. - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Smile Need advice on resetting valve lash during engine break in.

So I used a set of cheap poly-lock retaining nuts and most of them loosened up during break in. I decided to buy new self locking nuts but now the engine has ran for about 10 minutes and I was wondering if it was alright be me to just tighten the nuts up enough so the rockers won't clatter and finsh the break in then leave the engine idle and set the preload or could I just lash the valves normally by tightening up the nuts enough that the push rod has some resistance then crank in preload? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. (Edit) Seems this got posted more then once. Sorry about that guys.

Last edited by Wesley; 05-17-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Is this the break-in of a new cam and lifters. Most recommend to adjust the lifters with the engine off, rotating by hand and watching the valve movement on the cylinder that you are about to adjust. Google "EOIC valve adjustment method".
For new cam and lifter break-in you should be using a special "break-in oil". Such as https://www.summitracing.com/search?...Break-in%20oil

1982 F-250 XLT 4x4, 5800lbs, C6-BW1345, 466 cid, 9.5:1, TFS290 PowerPort heads, Crane Hyd Roller Cam (278/286 adv., 216/224 @.050), Edelbrock Performer, Hedman headers, QFT HR-780VS, MSD6A and Billet dist., NOS Cheater system, 4.56 gearing, 7" lift, 37" tires.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
So I used a set of cheap poly-lock retaining nuts and most of them loosened up during break in. I decided to buy new self locking nuts but now the engine has ran for about 10 minutes and I was wondering if it was alright be me to just tighten the nuts up enough so the rockers won't clatter and finsh the break in then leave the engine idle and set the preload or could I just lash the valves normally by tightening up the nuts enough that the push rod has some resistance then crank in preload? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. (Edit) Seems this got posted more then once. Sorry about that guys.
If the came loose you are doing it wrong

hyd or solid lifter cam?

self locking wont help if you are setting them wrong, the allen has to be pulled down into the stud to stay tight, YOU DONT TIGHTEN THE ALLEN(SET SCREW) AFTER THE HEX IS TIGHT.THIS IS A COMMON MISTAKE. You must tighten both at the same time

RICH
CIRCLE (R) 815 712 8738
--------------------------------
815-712-8738
BUY,SELL, or TRADE B B FORD parts
Dynoed or Test ran
CLYINDER HEAD PORTING
COMPLETE ENGINES avb
From STOCK to NOT

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It's a hydraulic flat tappet cam. And your probably right about me adjusting the poly-locks wrong, I was just wondering how I would go about readjusting valve lash now that the lifters have oil pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.