460 Ford Forum banner

Any way to tell if I have a 79 and newer flywheel

1K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Fordman1971 
#1 ·
My 460 does have a vibration so I was wondering if there is a way to tell if it has a 79 and newer flywheel without taking it apart,its a Jasper reman but who knows what parts the previous owner had installed when it went into the 77 F350 I bought from him.

#2 ·
Flexplate will have a weight welded on the side facing the engine.
Flywheel will have a raised pad cast on the side facing the engine. Triangle shape with the top 1/5th cut off.

View through the starter hole or the inspection plate on an automatic.

S

#5 ·
It has the 78 and older flywheel and a balancer with a 70 part number so maybe it was assembled with a 79 and newer crank,I originally thought the vibration was coming from the front suspension but I think its the motor and if it is I am suprised it has not shook itself apart by now.

#7 ·
Jeff,while rebuilders seem to be pretty good about not mixing blocks and cranks I guess it would not be unheard of mistakes do happen.If you have a buddy with a borescope camera you may be able to see the casting number thru the drain plug for that matter harbor freight has them and I don't think their terribly expensive.Also you may be able to rent one,it would be less work than dropping the pan.

#8 ·
ALL bbf dampers are neutral balance. The spacer behind the damper is weighted 1979 and newer for external balance. Prior it is just round.

Try removing the vacuum advance hose. If the funny vibration goes away you need to dial the advance in the canister back.

S

#12 ·
Also is your truck a stick or auto if auto check the torque converter too all are neutral balanced but some have little chunks of metal welded to them to achieve this balance look to see if one may have come off.If it is a stick the correct flywheel for the early engine will probably be an aftermarket one since Ford made no early 460 manual trans. apps.and very few 429 manual trans.apps.If it is an OEM flywheel it is most likely a later external balance unless someone used a 360-390 flywheel to do the swap.If this is the case then you have a some other possibilities for the cause of the vibration,such as pilot bearing engagement.

#16 ·
Jeff you might be able to remove the converter nuts,pull the bellhousing bolts and replace the 2 lower ones with longer bolts and remove the trans crossmember bolts and that may allow you to slide everything back far enough to get a look at the converter pilot and the hole in the back of the crank.

#20 ·
A bushing sure would be logical. I ran into something like this and never ran across one for what I was doing. I inertained the idea having one turned by a machinist, my project didn't warrant it so if got trash canned. If you can't find one, maybe you know a local machine shop make one up...easy task.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.