budget 460's what did they run - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
budget 460's what did they run

I think I will be building a 460 for the maverick probaly next year if the billfold will let me. lol I have been looking on other sites and there as been some good running budget engines. My friend went a 6.98 in the 1/8 with a mild 460 cast flat tops, .575 lift hyd cam and ported d0ve heads. I have read of a bunch of similiar combos going 6.70's-7.30's in the 1/8. I was wondering what your budget 460's ran. thanks
Jarred Hodges is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Member
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
 
Very low cost 466 in my fox body. Pump gas, mild hyd cam (probably similar to the .575 in your friends), a bit of head work, headers, intake and holley 750 and best so far is 11.32 @ 117 (7.17 in the 8th). Should go a bit faster in better air. The key I think is the powerglide and 4.11 gears. With my 28" MT drag radials, I'm crossing the traps at a perfect 6200 rpm.

Last edited by Taxman; 10-09-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Taxman is offline  
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cuba MO
Posts: 4,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
 
Wes Littrell's cousin Shannon's '62 Ford pickup ran 6.60's at 100mph at the Big Ford Bash 1 with a low dollar 460 engine. It had KB-137 flat top pistons, home ported Dove heads, Victor intake and a Ford 514 crate engine roller cam(swap meet purchase).

I dyno tested the engine and it made 585 horsepower at 6000rpm with either a Ron's injection or a 1050 gas Dominator carburetor. He ran it in the truck on methanol with the Ron's setup.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
DaveMcLain is offline  
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IL.
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
 
Buddys foxbody 466 with big valve dove heads ported with a small comp solid like 250dur. with a 850 annular,portosonic , non balanced, c4 went 6.49 at 106 with a spinning 1.43 60ft. it will be faster with new slicks.
460Skywalker is online now  
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
460VEGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: S.C.
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
466,L2404 dishtops, .600ft solid cam, home ported dove heads, 2 660s on a tunnel ram, c4 fooot brake, 2800lbs w/driver, best of 6.17 @108.5, 9.78 @134.7, 60ft times low 1.30 to high 1.20s. Its fun to drive, and cheap to race with 93 octane pump gas. Gotta love them BBFs!!!

74VEGA 466 C4 6.18@110,9.77@135.66 ON PUMP GAS
460VEGA is offline  
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 460Skywalker View Post
Buddys foxbody 466 with big valve dove heads ported with a small comp solid like 250dur. with a 850 annular,portosonic , non balanced, c4 went 6.49 at 106 with a spinning 1.43 60ft. it will be faster with new slicks.
impressive. I hope mine will go high 6's na and high 5's on about a 200 shot
Jarred Hodges is offline  
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Senior Member
 
BOSS 429's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ILL
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred Hodges View Post
I think I will be building a 460 for the maverick probaly next year if the billfold will let me. lol I have been looking on other sites and there as been some good running budget engines. My friend went a 6.98 in the 1/8 with a mild 460 cast flat tops, .575 lift hyd cam and ported d0ve heads. I have read of a bunch of similiar combos going 6.70's-7.30's in the 1/8. I was wondering what your budget 460's ran. thanks

whats the $$$$ fig on budget?

RICH
CIRCLE (R) 815 712 8738
--------------------------------
815-712-8738
BUY,SELL, or TRADE B B FORD parts
Dynoed or Test ran
CLYINDER HEAD PORTING
COMPLETE ENGINES avb
From STOCK to NOT
BOSS 429 is offline  
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 429 View Post
whats the $$$$ fig on budget?
not really sure yet. It will vary how things go and so on. mainly looking for backyard combos, nothing with a $4000 rotating assembly or 5k heads
Jarred Hodges is offline  
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roseville MI
Posts: 10,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
 
A "backyard" 466 should make anywhere in the area of 475 horsepower to 650 horsepower depending upon the talent of the individual doing the building of the combination.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
rmcomprandy is offline  
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Tom McTernan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Shingle Springs, California
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
If your planning on building a budget motor using the DOVE head castings keep it 460" to 466" (.030 overbore) and try to find a set of SCJ heads. Because of the location of the ports in the OEM castings you may end up disappointed if you try stroking it. Get the heads worked over the best you can $$$ and use at least an 850 CFM carb on either a Performer RPM or better manifold. Make sure the ports in the manifold are matched to the heads. If your planning on sticking with a 466" BBF, then consider playing with the rod ratios if you can afford to do so. Those heads with that size motor loves the longer connecting rods in it. If your in question about it, the 429 (3.59" stroke) and the 460
(3.85" stroke) use the same connecting rod. If you divide the 6.605" CtoC connecting rod length by the stroke, you'll come up with an 1.84 rod ratio for the 429 and a 1.72 for the 460. Using the same heads, the 460 has more torque, but runs out of cylinder head earlier. Keeping the 3.85 inch stroke and lengthening the connecting rod to say 6.940 would provide you with a 1.80 rod ratio. And guess what, the 6.940 length rod is the same as some of the old Chysler big blocks. Chysler uses a smaller rod bearing but a larger pin. With a little machining, it may very well work for you. I know because I tried it and it worked very well.
Tom McTernan is offline  
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
95lightiningguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: N.Little Rock AR
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Send a message via Yahoo to 95lightiningguy
Wouldn't it be cheaper to "0" deck the block, isnt that basically what you are trying to do with a longer rod. Not that I'm any hot shot engine builder but thats what it sounds like to me.

89 F150 351w powered
95 F150 300 I6 5 speed soon to be 460 powered lightining clone
95lightiningguy is offline  
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Tom McTernan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Shingle Springs, California
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95lightiningguy View Post
Wouldn't it be cheaper to "0" deck the block, isnt that basically what you are trying to do with a longer rod. Not that I'm any hot shot engine builder but thats what it sounds like to me.
Negative, running a .000 deck or .005 down in the hole simply reduces the volume for mechanical compression ratio calculation purposes. By playing with the rod ratio or L/R increases the dwell time at TDC and reduces the acceleration of the piston as it leaves TDC. It places less demand on the DOVE heads thus making the motor think it's got larger heads than it actually has. The longer rod with those less expensive heads causes the torque and horsepower curves to go up rather rapidly and flatten for an extended period throughout the RPM range and then drop slowly rather than going straight up and then straight down in a short period of time. Hey, I threw it out there for you. You can consider trying or not, the decision is yours. The only draw back is the cost if you pick up a custom one off set of rods and custom pistons with a special order pin location. I tried it and it worked for me. I wouldn't hesitate to go to the expense again.

Last edited by Tom McTernan; 10-19-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Tom McTernan is offline  
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SARASOTA FL.
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McTernan View Post
If your planning on building a budget motor using the DOVE head castings keep it 460" to 466" (.030 overbore) and try to find a set of SCJ heads. Because of the location of the ports in the OEM castings you may end up disappointed if you try stroking it. Get the heads worked over the best you can $$$ and use at least an 850 CFM carb on either a Performer RPM or better manifold. Make sure the ports in the manifold are matched to the heads. If your planning on sticking with a 466" BBF, then consider playing with the rod ratios if you can afford to do so. Those heads with that size motor loves the longer connecting rods in it. If your in question about it, the 429 (3.59" stroke) and the 460
(3.85" stroke) use the same connecting rod. If you divide the 6.605" CtoC connecting rod length by the stroke, you'll come up with an 1.84 rod ratio for the 429 and a 1.72 for the 460. Using the same heads, the 460 has more torque, but runs out of cylinder head earlier. Keeping the 3.85 inch stroke and lengthening the connecting rod to say 6.940 would provide you with a 1.80 rod ratio. And guess what, the 6.940 length rod is the same as some of the old Chysler big blocks. Chysler uses a smaller rod bearing but a larger pin. With a little machining, it may very well work for you. I know because I tried it and it worked very well.
Tom, thanks for this info. is there a shelf piston that will go with the Chysler rod, like another manufactures piston?? non custom.
Would like to invite you to check out the http://www.429-460.com form also. Your knowledge would be very welcome over there to.

Kieth

Last edited by res0rli9; 10-20-2010 at 01:31 AM.
res0rli9 is offline  
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
White Lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
 
Tom, does the same theory work for larger bore/stroke/ larger CFM heads? Longer rods would still give you longer dwell time/slower acceleration/deceleration piston speeds @TDC/BDC? How long of a piston skirt does that type of combo like? Say if you wanted a 557" target cube, what would be the ideal bore/stroke/rod length/head CFM/RPM numbers?
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
White Lightning is offline  
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SARASOTA FL.
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
I thank a 460-466 long rod deal would also make a great engine for a street pickup and off and on towing and maybe get better gas mileage.
or a 501 seeing how you'd have to turn turn the crank for the Chysler rod anyway.

Last edited by res0rli9; 10-20-2010 at 09:54 AM.
res0rli9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome