Year range for Triton motors blowing spark plugs out? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)

Year range for Triton motors blowing spark plugs out?

Does anybody know what the year range is for the Ford trucks that have a tendancy to blow spark plugs out of the hole? I'm still on my quest for an F-250 and I want to make sure that I avoid those years.

Send Questions To: Chris@MrScharfenberger.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
Does anybody know what the year range is for the Ford trucks that have a tendancy to blow spark plugs out of the hole? I'm still on my quest for an F-250 and I want to make sure that I avoid those years.
My interpretation of this issue is that there are two seperate issues.

Any 14mm threaded modular v-8 MAY be prone to blowing the plugs out and playing "ping-pong" between the wire/coil boot and the spark plug hole.

Then starting in 2005 on 5.4l engines Ford started using a new design "high thread" 9/16" coarse threaded spark plug that breaks and drops part of the ground shell into the cylinder upon removal.
I may be incorrect but I take it as two seperate issues. So if you buy a 5.4 equipped truck 2005 and after make damned sure the spark plugs have been changed before(or you change them before the so-called 100k mile interval to avoid corrosion). The aftermarket plugs are designed better but the oe plugs are weak where the ground electode shell is welded to the rest of the plug. They seem to have used these plugs from 2005-2008.

Aww shoot, I'm getting back in the game again...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429TORQ View Post
My interpretation of this issue is that there are two seperate issues.

Any 14mm threaded modular v-8 MAY be prone to blowing the plugs out and playing "ping-pong" between the wire/coil boot and the spark plug hole.

Then starting in 2005 on 5.4l engines Ford started using a new design "high thread" 9/16" coarse threaded spark plug that breaks and drops part of the ground shell into the cylinder upon removal.
I may be incorrect but I take it as two seperate issues. So if you buy a 5.4 equipped truck 2005 and after make damned sure the spark plugs have been changed before(or you change them before the so-called 100k mile interval to avoid corrosion). The aftermarket plugs are designed better but the oe plugs are weak where the ground electode shell is welded to the rest of the plug. They seem to have used these plugs from 2005-2008.
Thanks for the reply.

Any idea what year range they used the 14 millimeter spark plug threads?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Any idea what year range they used the 14 millimeter spark plug threads?
I just looked in the catalog... all 2005-2008 5.4l and 6.8l use the wierd "ground electrode shell" high thread design and everything else, all years and other engines are 14mm threaded spark plugs.
I think the blowing out of plugs thing is due more to negligence than anything else.
Do we have any Ford dealer mechanics on here?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:44 AM

all 2 valve engines from the 4.6 to 6.8 used the 14mm plug any of them could blow out a plug . I personally have a 4.6 and a 6.8 v-10 neither one them has giving me any issue regarding blowing out a plug . If you buy one used take it home change the plugs yourself and make sure there torqued to spec . The 3 valve engine is the one that the spark plugs come apart on taking them out . I deal with a fleet that has both not that big a deal to fix either issue just time consuming and frustrating sometimes . JMO
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I guess the plugs that blow out are the harder fix?

Anything else I should watch out for? Or any other known issues with the 2 valve and the 3 valve motors?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I guess the plugs that blow out are the harder fix?

Anything else I should watch out for? Or any other known issues with the 2 valve and the 3 valve motors?
FWIW my catolog shows ALL 05-08 5.4's and 6.8's as having the "high thread" plug regardless of valve configuration, it may be wrong for all I know.

Tool companies actually make a special tool set to retrieve the broken ground shell out of the cylinder after it drops in(HT plug) as opposed to heli-coiling all other modular engines that may blow a plug out(standard plug).
I don't know of any other issues besides "routine" oil consumption, as long as routine maintainence has been performed.
My co-worker standing beside me right now at the counter has a 97' 4.6 that has 252k miles, has never blown a plug out, but uses 2 qts of oil every 1500 miles and pings a little as a result. The engine performance is excellent, however.
Oh yea that reminds me, look out for exhaust manifold corrosion/leaks especially on the passenger side. Modular engines are known for manifold failures.

Last edited by 429TORQ; 06-30-2012 at 12:41 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Well that helps. It sounds like the newer trucks are easier to fix with just a spark plug change. And I guess checking & changing the plugs on the older motors can't hurt either. I wonder if the plugs that blow out have very high mileage on them and routine maintenance was not performed prior to the event.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 PM

The plugs that blow out can be fixed on the vehicle , there are a couple of companys that make the tools and thread inserts to replace damage area on the cyl head . As far as exhaust gaskets blowing out it's been my experiance that this is more common on the later trucks 05 and up that have the 3 valve engine . Other things to look for on 04 and earlier trucks , oil leaks at oil filter housing { gasket goes bad not hard to fix } Intake manifold coolant leaks at cylinder heads , also the plastic intake cracks on the 5.4 . I have had a couple of trucks that I've had to replace all the timing componets on .
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My apprentice has a 2006 mark LT and the spark plugs are supposedly an issue in the 5.4 from 2002 to 2006 and the cam tensioner is another issue as well as the exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking. Accord to Ford dealer here in town. I am a Ford guy but drive a duramax as my DD.

1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36499599@N04/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 PM

The manifold bolts break off and cause an exhaust tick, the fix is the updated SS bolts from ford. The timing tensioners go slack and cause chain slap. The fix for that is a new timing set. The plugs blow out most commonly after being changed due to improper torque or the change interval was too late and they were corroded causing thread damage upon removal. The thread area on the older 14mm heads is very weak because there is not much thread engagement from the factory. I've seen around 3/8 of and inch worth of thread contact area on these heads as very common.

ALL TRITON ENGINES WILL USE OIL UNLESS YOU USE A QUALITY SEMI SYNTHETIC OR FULL SYNTHETIC. If you put a conventional 10w-30 in it they will drink it. They were designed and reccomended to use 5w-20 or 5w-30 motorcraft semi-synthetic oil as the manual states. Some people think they can out think the engineers when it comes to what oil they use.

The coil packs go bad and when that starts don't buy one. Buy them all because you will be putting on of those m********** in every month or two until they are all changed. I recommend motorcraft coil packs as well because I've seen very high failure rates on cheaper auto parts store brands.

When properly maintained the triton v-8s will run 300k with no problems. I have one know at work with that on it and another with 250. The v-10's are not as long lived for some unknown reason. I've seen and hear of a lot of lower end failures on v-10's with high miles, but im sure like all there are exceptions.

I would not be afraid of tritons, they can be a very smooth reliable engine when prperly maintained. Just my $.02 from my experinces with dealing with those engines.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

A good friend, how is a cheby guy, bought a nice V-10 Ford truck (can't remember the year) and had the spark plug break off in the head. Cost him $600 to get it fixed. I have always razzed him about his chebys. Sure shut my mouth. NOT one of Fords better ideas.

'64 Galaxie 500 XL 499/C6, '06 Mustang GT
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate all the good info guys. This really helps out a lot. Now I know what to look out for when I finially go to buy one. I knew there would be a lot of people on here that have experience with them.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:12 PM

My 2000 Ford F150 with the 5.4 triton popped a couple plugs clean out of the cylinder. It also ruins the coil pack by breaking off the hold down tab. I bought a repair kit to repair the threads. I sold the truck and still have the kit if you have any issues.
http://www.timesert.com/html/ford_sparkplug_faq.html
Justin
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

2002 and down PI heads have only 4 threads in the head. In 2003 the new heads cam with a full compliment of threads 3/4 inch reach plugs.

I had the heads changed on my 2002 Lightning after one blew out at 60,000 mile original plugs.

They had five vehicles in the dealer shop with plugs blown out 4.6's, 5.4's, and a v 10.

Bad design................

Blake

580 inch Ported P-51's
1003 hp @7200 810 tq @ 6100
86 Notch
29.5x13.5 Ladder Bar
1.200 60ft 5.41 @ 127.78 mph 8.51 @ 156 mph
200 shot 5.23 135 mph 1.13 60 ft. on the rear tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.