460 Ford Forum banner

Guns

62K views 291 replies 51 participants last post by  rs7201 
#1 · (Edited)
I have never been a big fan of guns. My general rule of thumb is if it isn't shooting at you, then don't shoot at it. However with the recent extremely tragic events that have occurred around our great nation it is looking like the government is going to step in sometime soon and do something "government like". Knowing how many guns are already out there and also knowing that the government will never keep them out of the hands of deranged idiots no matter how hard the government tries I went out and bought my first gun this evening. It is a Springfield Armory XD, 5 inch barrel and .45 caliber. I live out in the middle of nowhere. When you walk out of my house all you hear are cows and crickets. No expressways, no trains.....just nature. I don't think I can rely on the police to make it out here in time if some actual gun wielding deranged idiot decides to stroll down my driveway. At least now I can take care of my home and family should some extreme event like that happen. I pray it never does. But if it ever did... I don't want to pray for a gun!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Good for you! And an excellent choice of fire arm and caliber too. Now, if you haven't been in the past, go take a CCW class and at least get SOME training in what and how the law says you can do with it. From there get VERY proficient with it, and I'm talking thousands of rounds. If it comes down to money, start reloading your own, I do. And don't forget to include the family in the training also. You've just changed the rest of your life.....do it right :) .
Rob

#77 ·
Sorry to disagree with you but that is just not the case. Each situation and person dictates the use of different tools. I don't mean to be disrespectful but that statement just reflects the usual 'uneducated to the truth' urban tech-no babble that is being swallowed by far too many of the populous.......
Rob

#7 ·
Make sure it is hidden away (but still handy!) and with a trigger-lock or similar.

More young kids get shot with handguns they 'found' in the bedside cabinet etc than do bad guys get shot with the same guns.

Think about it.

#9 ·
I like guns as well, nothing like the smell of gun powder and shooting at the range or clay pigeons, is about it for me. I used to hunt but quite honestly I don't enjoy eating wild game so I don't even hunt anymore. The only thing with having a gun to protect yourself is the moment you decide you are going to use it to do just that you possibly have decided to alter someone either slightly or permanently, not sure I could do that.

The latest events last year are very sad and even as an outsider looking in something does have to change and what it is I don't know, if someone wants to kill someone they will get a gun wherever they can. We can buy long rifles but need a firearms certificate and we can also apply for a hand gun and you are subject to a background check, as for buying an AK-47 not going to happen besides why do you need one of those?

I just think it is sad that people feel they have to create some massacre that hurts so many people for what? Well I guess we'll never really understand that.

D

#41 ·
as for buying an AK-47 not going to happen besides why do you need one of those?
This is why.....

"Alexander Hamilton argued that....it was necessary for the public to be able to stop any attempt of the government to suppress freedom and therefore important that the public at large should hold firearms."

"This will not only lessen the call for military establishments, but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist."....Alexander Hamilton, 'Federalist No. 29', 1788

Reactions: Gregaba
#10 · (Edited)
Well said, Dman. I'm in a similar boat, except that I enjoy wild game, just been too busy the last few years to hunt. I travel for work, so that makes it tough. I 100% support our right in the US to bear arms, and get quite heated at the thought of a total gun ban, but I don't think that's a realistic fear. Assualt weapons may take a hit, as well as high capacity mags, which I would still disagree with, but that's not the end of the world in my book. Idk, to be honest, I haven't educated myself very much on what is being considered currently. As for buying an ak47? Its a lot like cars...its a hobby. They can be modified, taken to the range, and shown off. Why do we build 700HP+ cars? Do we need them? No, but its fun and brings enjoyment. That's my take, at least :) My favorite gun right now is my Russian Mosin Nagant. Its an old relic that can be found for dirt cheap, and converted into a pretty decent hunting rifle, which I have done.

As far as actually using a gun for self defense? I have a wife, 4 daughters, and my oldest's best friend living under my roof...6 females. There is no doubt in my mind wether or not I would use it...I pity the fool, lol. I also think its key that kids don't "find" guns. My daughters all know where I keep my handgun (as well as my other guns). Its locked, and I have the clips in a different spot, for extra safety, but they know and understand guns, so the curiosity factor is removed.

#11 · (Edited)
Before this conversation starts to get out of hand on an uninformed/uneducated tangent, I'd like to repost a post from a member on another site that I frequent. If I were to take the time to sit down and write a reply about firearms/weapons and what I believe is the problem with the uninformed/uneducated attitude in this country about the subject, I would say this:

And I quote:
"It’s hard to have an honest discussion about arms when there is so much disinformation, misinformation and out right lies coupled with something that generates such strong emotions.

For example; recently a well know TV personality (I don’t want to give him any more publicity, so I’m not going to use his name), made the statement / question “… why do you need military grade weapons…”

In response, I reject the entire premise of “military grade” as he and many others try to define it. Why? Well lets see; once upon a time muskets were “military grade” -Hell even “big stick’s” could once have been classified as “military grade weapons”. WWII surplus bolt action Enfield rifles were / are sold to the general public. These bolt action rifles, being formerly used by the military would definitely qualify as “military grade”. The style of rifle commonly recognized as a “hunting” rifle essentially has identical features and in most cases is of higher quality than the bolt action rifles that all the armies used during WWI and WWI to kill each other. Does that make your Ruger m77 or Winchester a “military grade weapon?”

Now let’s fast forward to an “assault rifle” Why would anyone need an assault rifle? This is a question often asked / used by the anti-gun. Usually under the guise of pro “sensible gun control” It’s effective. It generates an immediate emotional response. After all how could an intelligent, sane person defend the average Joe citizen running around the city with a bunch of military equipment designed to hurt and kill innocent people?

Let’s honestly look at some features to determine what an “assault rifle” is. First off it is often defined as a weapon being capable of firing in semi automatic fashion. With that definition, your browning semi auto shotgun you use for duck hunting, all 1911 style handguns, your uncles 30-06 semi auto deer rifle –that looks almost like your bolt action, are all “assault weapons”. –sometimes they add “removable magazine to the definition. Even with that addition, essentially all afore mentioned weapons are included.

If you include the capacity to fire fully automatic (aka machinegun), then virtually all of the very weapons the anti’s are trying to regulate out of your hands are excluded because they are not fully automatic weapons. Note: it’s already illegal to modify a gun (any gun) to fire fully automatic. It’s already illegal to poses a machine gun without a special (I’m a good guy with special knowledge and skills) permit.

So, honestly, besides the caliber, what is the difference between an AR style rife and a semi auto 30-06 that essentially looks like a “traditional rifle”? I’ll take the liberty of answering this for you. It’s how they “look”. It’s not how they function. One is not particularly more deadly than the other.

Oh, don’t tell anyone but, there is no magic caliber that will make someone more dead than another… It only takes 1 properly placed shot from any caliber, to make something dead. With that in mind, does it really matter if a magazine only holds 2 or 3 rounds, or 50, 100, 1000…?

If you broke into my home at 3:00am would you be more alert and or nervous if you were met by me holding: A- a .50 cal Hawken muzzle loader leveled at your head. B – a .22 cal Ruger10-22 with a bananna clip leveled at your head C- a 12 ga. SxS leveled at your head D – a .25 cal pistol leveled at your head E – a .50 cal Desert Eagle leveled at your head. Or F- Any of the above will equally cause me to pause.

Some parting thoughts:

If we ban water, will there be no more drowning?
If we ban alcohol, will there be no more deaths from drunken drivers?
If we ban tempers, will there be no more beatings?
If we ban knifes, will there be no more stabbings?

Please show me 1 instance where a gun –any gun, has loaded itself, cocked itself, pointed itself and shot at anything. –It does not even have to a documented story involving the death of anything. Just one documented story of a gun doing all those things all by itself. All I ask for is just one story where a person was not involved, by doing those actions.

Then I’ll start blaming guns and stop blaming people.

PS – It’s already illegal to do the things we have recently been reading about. It’s already illegal to own or poses a firearm if you are deemed mentally incompetent. It’s already illegal to own or poses a firearm if you are a felon. It’s already illegal to shoot people out side of a self defense situation (in some places it’s even illegal to shoot someone in self defense).

Take a peek at where the most restrictive gun laws are and compare that with the statistics of where you are most likely to be shot. Take a look at where mass shootings have historically been documented to happen and compare that with the areas labled “gun free zones”.

Take a look at the statistics of how many people actually doing the shooting are doing it with an illegally possessed firearm, or obtained the firearm through illegal methods. – Then ask yourself who will we be taking firearms away from with more restrictive gun laws?
"

Rob

#12 ·
jmo

My Uncle Bob gave me model 1911 Colt 45cal. He also gave me a Colt "ACE" 22cal. Same gun/frame, size and function, just lot's cheaper to learn with. Point is, get something that matches or is close to what you have in a 22 cal. Next, ASAP, Go to a range and request instruction on the safe handling and use of a firearm. Then shoot it a bunch. This is where a high capacity magazine is very usefull. Just incase some one should ask.

Point 2, if your friends or neighbors bring up the "Assault weapons ban" of old, politely ask them "what do you understand that to mean"? Did it ban the sale, Ban the manufacture, Ban the possession of? No, No and No.

The past (Clinton) law changed components only. Flash suppresser, folding stock and other changes that had NO effect on function, ownership, sales or manufacture of.

Then ask them, why would the "news" keep using the deceptive term "Assault weapons ban" in their reports if it wasn't true?

It is my opinion "they", as a whole industry, are intentionally lying and can not be trusted to inform the masses of the working's of our government. If they keep you and your neighbors stupid, those in the seat of power can guide the country into what they want it to be and away from what is was created to be. Free!

F. Charles King jr.
GUN OWNER

#15 ·
It's simply the logical truth, and if the public as a whole doesn't get its collective head out of its arse we will ALL end up as cannon fodder for anyone else on this big blue marble who thinks that they can be a bully, no matter what country they're from, ours or someone else's. The problem is NOT with the weapon, the problem is with the wielder. Always has been, always will be. Can we legislate away ignorance? Of course not. Can we legislate away bully's and bad guys? Of course not. Should we have the inalienable right to defend ourselves? Absolutely! WAKE UP AMERICA! Some of the people that we have put into a position of making our decisions are running amok! They are putting their own personal agendas ahead of our rights and needs!
If you make a personal choice to not own a weapon, no matter WHAT it might be (and EVERYTHING on the face of this planet IS a weapon) then you put yourself in a position of depending on someone else to defend you and your loved ones. I view this as a callous, illogical and dangerous decision....and I personally have a huge problem with that. If and when the manure ever hits the fan you'll be one of the first to go. Sorry you made a bad decision.
Two of my favorite quotes are as follows: " Samuel Colt made every man equal" and "An armed society is a polite society".
Rob

#16 ·
While I agree with the idea of a person being able to defend himself and his loved ones with a handgun or rifle, I have a hard time believing the bad guys are going to broadcast their evil intent early enough for you to go and unlock your .45, remove the trigger lock, and then remember where you stashed the clip and ammo. If a home protection device, be it a Glock or a baseball bat, is not immediately ready to hand, it is useless.
Train your children to leave dangerous things alone. You don't lock up the stove for fear they will burn themselves, do you?
I, and my brothers, were around guns from birth, and never even heard of an incident where a child was injured handling a gun. We knew better!

#17 ·
I do agree with what you are saying. In my case, they are all in close proximity of each other (gun, clips, key), and the clips are already loaded. If my kids dug around enough, they'd find the key and the clips, I guess.. It's just a little extra piece of mind. This is something I've wrestled with, though. I also have to be cautious because they have friends over.

#18 ·
You guys all make great points, I don't think there is any real solution to it, if someone wants to kill a bunch of people they will do it wether it is a hand gun or semi automatic gun. I wonder where that is going to leave us in the end. Should we be parenting better, should we be more loving and understanding and accepting? It is still going to happen? Unfortunately I think people will still go physco and do terrible things, bottom line is do the best you can and make a difference in the world for the good and that is all we can do.

D

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#20 ·
When I was about 10 years old Dad would buy my two brothers and I a brick of 500 22 shells and we would go plinking around the farm for summer entertainment. When you hit a gopher and split it open you know what a gun can do so you be careful where you're pointing it. Shooting becomes part of your way of life. No one was ever hurt and only a few windows got broken. My daughter started shooting 22s when she was 8 and is an excellent shot. Having guns and ammo loose around the house isn't an issue since everyone is an expert in the field.
I'm an avid hunter and have 15 record book size deer heads that I've shot. If I had my 7mm Magnum handy and some disturbed armed individual was coming towards me to do dastardly deeds I could put a stop to it at 800 yards with no problem. That's just the way it is when you have lots of experience. I'm just glad I live in Canada and don't run into these circumstances very often.
I did have a murderer in my yard once but there were 25 cop cars in the vicinity so he just kept going in the dark. They arrested him about 20 miles later.

#23 ·
When I was about 10 years old Dad would buy my two brothers and I a brick of 500 22 shells and we would go plinking around the farm for summer entertainment. When you hit a gopher and split it open you know what a gun can do so you be careful where you're pointing it. Shooting becomes part of your way of life. No one was ever hurt and only a few windows got broken. My daughter started shooting 22s when she was 8 and is an excellent shot. Having guns and ammo loose around the house isn't an issue since everyone is an expert in the field.
I.
I was just like you, everything was A-OK since my boys were always around when I had my guns out.

Then one day their little friends were around for a birthday party, hoo-boy, did they react when I had a rifle out - these poor kids weren't allowed near guns at home, not even toy ones - so guess what really fascinated them - and not in a healthy manner?

And I thought "Hmm if kids like that come around when I'm not home and a rifle is settin' around it could cause problems"

Hence why I now have them secured, sanyway, armed intruders in this country are as common as Eskimos in Arizona..

#21 ·
The supposed Assault type weapon covers way too much ground. I have a WW11 Japanese Arista rifle that my Grandfather brought home from the war it has been in my family for 60 years. I also have a Bolt action rifle from WW1. Both are Assault weapons and may have been used to actually kill someone both are still able to be shot and I have ammo for them. A lady friend of my daughter says I am a criminal for owning such weapons. My guns are stored properly as is the ammo my family has been taught the proper way to handle and shoot them. Why do I need to give up family heirlooms and such because some nutcase illegally gets a weapon and does bad things ?

#22 ·
I think you need to Goggle and Wikipedia 'Assault rifle'.

Your fine old weapons are no way 'assault weapons', rest assured of that.

Unless some dip-**** anti-gun wing-ding decides it would be trendy to call them that.

And that 'lady friend' of your daughters needs to learn some facts, she's a paranoid hysterical over-reacting dizzy-lizzy IMHO.

#26 ·
How come we have so many people with common ense and logic on this forum?

Where are all the brainless panicking ninnies that are always so vocal on th eTV and in the newspapers?

Have us Ford guys got it all figured out and a lot of the general population and politicians not???

Just sayin'...

#27 ·
Ha!! We do seem to be a different breed. I'm also a member of an import forum with a bunch of dumbass punk kids. This would have been locked immediately. I'm new here (sort of), but really impressed so far. The muscle crowd is soooo different. I enjoy it.

#37 · (Edited)
Excellent! When I got my Springfield about 5 years ago I had to put another $1,200 into it to get it tuned for a carry configuration and to fit myself. Firearm fitment is all important for repeatable accuracy and ease of operation. I'm a staunch advocate of laser sighting configurations. In a self defense/dark/sleepy-just woke-up-and-filled-with-adrenalin scenario they are easily used without having to use the fire arm from a weaver style stance.....ie shooting from the 'hip'.
I've put tens of thousands of rounds through my 1911's over the years just staying 'tuned'. FAR too many times I've made the mistake of sticking my pistol back into my inside carry holster and burned the doggy doo outa' my butt cheek! In fact, i've got a pretty prominent/perminent mark there! :)
Rob

#42 · (Edited)
Excellent Choice! I almost purchased a XDm about 6 months ago but got another Beretta instead, I'm a sucker for Berettas and that's my Every Day Carry, Beretta 92FS INOX.

Get you a good holster and a good GUN belt. Not one of the cheapies from walmart but an actual gun belt that will support the weight and not sag. I carry 24/7 unless im inside my place of employment or in a building where it is not allowed per Kentucky Law.

IMO the safest place to secure YOUR sidearm is on YOU and not locked up somewhere. If you need that weapon then you better be fast in order to unlock the trigger, load the magazine and chamber a round.

Get you a good gun safe as I see you will soon be collecting more.

Lots of people are panic buying due to the recent tragic events and those that didnt' plan ahead are now paying the price. Fortunately I planned ahead and have everything I ever wanted or needed. Sold some ARs recently and made some major coin on all the suckers that didn't plan ahead :p I still have a few for sale but they are NOT CHEAP :eek:

There's .308 AR10 magazines selling on gunbroker for $100 apiece! I'm Tempted to sale some of mine but they are so far back ordered that I may not be able to replace them so I'll just hang on to them for now...

Congrats again and check with Indiana laws on where you can and can't carry a sidearm. Here in KY we can open carry pretty much anywhere but a court house where court is in session or a school and we can conceal carry with a license. The CCW class is stupid easy and IMO some of the people in the class I attended a few years ago should NOT have passed but that's just my opinion :rolleyes:

#44 ·
Excellent Choice! I almost purchased a XDm about 6 months ago but got another Beretta instead, I'm a sucker for Berettas and that's my Every Day Carry, Beretta 92FS INOX.

Get you a good holster and a good GUN belt. Not one of the cheapies from walmart but an actual gun belt that will support the weight and not sag. I carry 24/7 unless im inside my place of employment or in a building where it is not allowed per Kentucky Law.

IMO the safest place to secure YOUR sidearm is on YOU and not locked up somewhere. If you need that weapon then you better be fast in order to unlock the trigger, load the magazine and chamber a round.

Get you a good gun safe as I see you will soon be collecting more.

Lots of people are panic buying due to the recent tragic events and those that didn't' plan ahead are now paying the price. Fortunately I planned ahead and have everything I ever wanted or needed. Sold some ARs recently and made some major coin on all the suckers that didn't plan ahead :p I still have a few for sale but they are NOT CHEAP :eek:

There's .308 AR10 magazines selling on gunbroker for $100 apiece! I'm Tempted to sale some of mine but they are so far back ordered that I may not be able to replace them so I'll just hang on to them for now...

Congrats again and check with Indiana laws on where you can and can't carry a sidearm. Here in KY we can open carry pretty much anywhere but a court house where court is in session or a school and we can conceal carry with a license. The CCW class is stupid easy and IMO some of the people in the class I attended a few years ago should NOT have passed but that's just my opinion :rolleyes:
Damon, thanks for sharing that :) Good words of wisdom, I too carry 24/7. Yeah, I remember my CCW class and you're right about some shouldn't, IMO, be allowed to carry....at least without a LOT more firearms training. These 'tools' carry a lot of responsibility. It's inherent that they are easily misused by those that would further their own shortcomings by lashing out with a tool that is easily used and carries a potential for easily achieving their misguided agendas. It's the sick humans that need to be addressed, not those of us that are sane and rational and educated toward the uses of these inanimate objects.
Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.