460 Ford Forum banner

B.F. Evans Ford 2015 Mustang

23K views 89 replies 18 participants last post by  MrScharfenberger 
#1 · (Edited)
B.F. Evans 2015 Ford Ecoboost Mustang

My daily driver died a couple weeks ago. I wasn't sure what I was going to replace it with. Lem Evans from B.F. Evans Ford was kind enough to step in and help me out so I ordered a 2015 Mustang from him yesterday. Now don't get too excited. It is not the GT although I did consider it. I went with the Ecoboost Mustang instead because it will be a daily driver. I did get the manual 6 speed transmission however. I have not driven one of the Ecoboost Mustangs but on paper it seems like a really cute little power plant. I'm excited about ordering it and I can't wait to pick it up. If you need a new Ford give Lem a call and let him set you up. He is a great guy to work with. I'll be sure and report back about how the cars looks, feels and drives.

Anybody in the market for a used 1999 Jaguar? It will go just as fast as you push it!

Here is what it will look like:

See less See more
#4 ·
Congrats on your new car.
I need to test drive one of those soon.

#7 ·
You know what Butter... I actually thought about that. The sorry part is that the car is in Cherry condition other than the fact the motor took a flying crap. I really hate to get rid of it. I am primarily a Ford guy but honestly I like anything American made. The idea has merrit and you can put together a SBC for about the cost of ONE P-51 head for god sake! I might have to look into it. If I do I'm going to need a bigger barn for sure!

#11 · (Edited)
New Car!

Well I got lucky again.

I got to go pick up my new 2015 Ecoboost Mustang from B.F. Evans Ford and I got to say that I LOVE IT!! I had not test driven or gotten in one of the new 2015 Mustangs before I ordered it from Lem. I just knew I loved the way they looked. I had rented a 2013 Mustang GT out in Tucson last year and that car was nice, but the new body style and interior is simply stunning if you ask me. I am having a little bit of regret over not ordering a GT with the Coyote motor but this will be a great daily driver. The little 2.3 Ecoboost motor does have some pep and it sure is not a dog. I think it should do just fine as a commuter car.

I'll also say that I ordered the stripped down version of the Ecoboost but you sure can't tell it is stripped down. The car has buttons for everything. I'm not really sure what else you could want on it frankly. The sound system doesn't sound "Stripped Down" either. It sounds fantastic!! I'm sure they make a bigger, louder thumper radio but again I'm not sure why you would need it. The radio it came with is GREAT! I'm really digging this car! Go buy one from Lem. You won't regret it.

I will also say that I was in and out of B.F. Evans Ford dealership in about 10 minutes. It was by far the best car buying experience I've ever had. I have walked out of 2 dealerships in my life (one Toyota and one Chevrolet). We negotiated the deal and when I sat down to write the check suddenly the cars were more! They pissed me off so I walked and never came back. Thanks Lem for a great car & car buying experience. I love it!! I'll come see you again when I'm ready for a new F-250.

#15 ·
I searched around and could not find what you are talking about. Post a link if possible.

Nice ride! I love the new Mustangs. If my '06 GT, with less than 20,000 miles, wasn't paid off I'd probably be driving one myself.

It is a very nice car. I'm loving it!! Paid off is the BEST kind of car there is!

#18 ·
After the third tank of super unleaded the little EcoBoost averaged 30.8 m.p.g. according to the trip computer with a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving. The gear box is a little noisy but has a fantastic short throw shifter. I've read the noisy gear box is par for the course with these cars. Over all I could not be happier with it. It is a fantastic little car. It gets a lot of looks to. The car now has a little over 1200 miles on it. It is also super tight. No rattles or squeaks at all.

I will say that you could easily get 20 mpg in it if you drive like your 18 years old. I have driven it like a little old lady so far. I'm very, very pleased with it. I'd do it again in a heart beat. AND in my humble opinion it looks WAY better than the new Corvettes (yes I considered one of those). I don't know what Chevy was thinking with the a$$ end on those things. They are just flat ugly from behind. Unless of course you want your car to look like a bat mobile.

#19 ·
... AND in my humble opinion it looks WAY better than the new Corvettes (yes I considered one of those). I don't know what Chevy was thinking with the a$$ end on those things. They are just flat ugly from behind. Unless of course you want your car to look like a bat mobile.

LOL, I would love to have a Bat-mobile... Nice ride. Room in that thing for the race motor???

#21 ·
M.P.G!!

I took the EcoStang on it's first road trip to Clarksburg West Virgina Monday. While cruising across the flat Kentucky landscape it was averaging between 37 and 38 mpg! The mpg's started dropping when I hit West Virginia because of all the mountains

When I finally got to my destination my trip average was 34.4 mpg. That is not bad. In fact I think it is really impressive! And yes... It was all highway driving and I had the cruise control set on 75. Ford really hit a home run with this car.

#25 ·
I took the EcoStang on it's first road trip to Clarksburg West Virgina Monday. While cruising across the flat Kentucky landscape it was averaging between 37 and 38 mpg! The mpg's started dropping when I hit West Virginia because of all the mountains

When I finally got to my destination my trip average was 34.4 mpg. That is not bad. In fact I think it is really impressive! And yes... It was all highway driving and I had the cruise control set on 75. Ford really hit a home run with this car.
Nice!

If you really want to have fun playing with the MPGs in the mountains, try popping it into neutral on the downhills. You can get 100+mpgs sometimes, which really helps the average.

;)

#22 · (Edited)
After working all day in Clarksburg W. Va. Friday I hopped in the EcoStang to drive home to Georgetown Indiana at about 5:30 p.m. I was tired and ready to be done for the day. The EcoStang had over 1800 miles on it by then so I decided to let it EAT a bit. I ended up falling in behind some people going 90++ m.p.h. At 80 to 90 mph the RPM's are right in the heart of the fat part of the torque curve. Mashing the gas at those speeds in 6th gear yields s A LOT of forward acceleration for a little 4 cylinder that weighs as much as it does. Drop it in 5th and mash the gas and it just takes off. It is a very impressive little motor. Even driving at those speeds the car averaged 31.1 m.p.h. on the return trip.

I did notice one thing about it that was a little un-nerving. At speeds over 100 mph the hood seems to lift up and move around a good bit. It was very noticeable. In fact when it first did it I thought about pulling over to make sure that the hood was latched properly. I didn't do that because I knew it was. I just realized that it was the way it is in that car... I'd still buy it again. The hood wasn't going anywhere but it was noticeable. Obviously nobody should be going that fast. But if the car will be used for high speed racing your going to want to pin the hood.

#29 · (Edited)
EcoStang In A SCCA Event In Louisville KY

This past weekend I took the new Ecoboost Mustang to an SCCA event. It was the first time that I had ever done anything like this before. I was decent at it but not great. My little EcoStang ran 2.5 seconds slower than a 2015 Mustang GT. That driver had a lot of experience doing this and he had a set of racing slicks. He also had a LOT more power. His car was not stock either. The drivers that knew something about doing this said that we were on a "Miata" course. Meaning it was short and tight. Heavy cars didn't like it much. I never got the car out of second gear. I made 4 runs. My first run was a 39.xx second run and by my forth run I was in the 37.xx second range. They did not give us time slips like at the drag strip and I just don't remember what the .xx times were. I do remember that it was a LOT of fun!!

Below is a video of my buddy Matt Coleman in his 1998 Z06 Corvette. His best time of the day was 34.xx seconds.

#31 ·
Yes it is. Funny that I just saw this post. I was just driving back into the parking lot at work from lunch. I have a 1/4 of a tank left and I'm averaging 32.8 mpg on this tank right now. And that has a lot of city driving on it. It is especially impressive when you consider the power that is on tap when you put your right foot down. It beats the **** out of a Prius! You can definitely get worse mileage in it however. I have just been driving it really easy.

#32 ·
Aftermarket Parts

I bought a Cobb Access Port tuner for the little EcoStang and installed the 93 octane tune. WOW!! What a difference it made. The Cobb bumped it up around 50 hp and 80 lb/ft of torque. That puts the motor right around 400 lb/ft of torque at the flywheel. The motor still makes most of it's power down low in the RPM range but 2nd gear is now pretty impressive for a little 4 cylinder car. It was great BANG for the buck!

#33 · (Edited)
Sorry Lem... I screwed my factory warranty.

Well I couldn't take it any longer. I love my little Ecoboost Mustang but it is just TOO DANG SLOW to be a good daily driver. Just about a year ago I got the Cobb Access Port and bumped it up to the 93 octane tune and that was cute but it still needed more.

My Goal: I want to duplicate the MAP 501whp 2.3 Ecoboost build using MAP parts. They have some proven combinations so I see no reason to mix and match parts on my own.

Phase 1: Cold air intake system, Intercooler, BOV, upgraded charge piping, cat-less down pipe, non resonated cat back exhaust

Phase 2: MAP big Turbo Kit

As of right now all of the phase 1 upgrade equipment has been ordered from MAP and is on the way. That was about $2500 bucks worth of stuff. I'll post pictures of all of the parts after it arrives. I'll also post pictures/details/observations about the installation process. Phase 1 will be to get all of the supporting equipment installed for the bigger Turbo kit later that will be Phase 2.

I plan on installing all of the Phase 1 parts during the 4 day weekend Thanksgiving break.

If you have question or comments please feel free to leave them here. All thoughts & experience are welcome.

#34 · (Edited)
Phase 1 is complete.

Phase 2 is now in the works. The MAP Ecoboost Precision turbo upgrade kit has been ordered and is on it's way.

I've decided I'm going to take this thing on Hot Rod's Drag Week this year. That is my goal anyway. I've always wanted to do it and my 1993 Mustang is not the car to do it in with the motor I have in it now. I'm hoping to get the Ecoboost down into the 11's for Drag Week.

Hey Lem... Do you have a "B.F. Evans Ford" front windshield sticker that I can put across the top of my windshield for Drag Week?

Phase 1 pre-install parts layout:

Stock v.s. upgraded intercooler comparison

EDIT: Adding in intercooler installation pic's. These were meant for the EcoBoost Mustang forum that I am on but I figured I could post them here to.

#38 · (Edited)
Precision Turbo

The Modern Automotive Performance turbo upgrade kit arrived today for the EcoStang. It looks like a very high quality kit from what I can tell. I didn't unbox everything yet because I'm not ready to put it on. Hopefully I can get to it in the next few weekends (this working for a living really cuts into my free time).

MAP Turbo Kit Link

Precision Turbo 5862 CEA (My turbo has the ceramic ball bearing upgrade)

Below is a teaser. I'll post pic's of the whole kit before the install.

...you never know. If this experiment works out the 1993 Notch may get twin 88's

#39 · (Edited)
DONE!!

I'm ready for Hot Rod Drag Week In September!!

What has been Installed:
Precision Turbo 5862 CEA turbo charger
Turbo blanket
Turbosmart wastegate
Turbosmart blow off valve
MAP intercooler
MAP stainless steel hot & cold side charge pipes
MAP 3" catless downpipe
MAP 4" cold air intake
MAP Full Exhaust system
Driveshaft shop 1 piece 3" Aluminium driveshaft

The thing is now quicker than a new Mustang GT with a Coyote Motor and it rev's to the moon!! AND BONUS!! Setting the cruise control at 70 m.p.h. on the highway nets about 33 miles per gallon!! SWEET!!

#41 ·
I'd be happy to oblige!

It may be a few months but I will get over your way soon and I'll let you know my plans before I get there.

I do have a bad tire pressure sensor on a rear tire and my a/c-heater fan goes wacky when placed on a middle speed setting. High speed and low speed it works fine but I'm guessing I've already blown my warranty.

#42 ·
Drag Week draws near....

More progress towards Hot Rod Drag Week in September:

I received the used OEM stock wheels I bought off eBay for the Drag Radials. They were in great shape with center caps & TPS sensors for $129 a piece shipped. Anyway I then had the drag radials mounted & balanced on the new wheels. I think it turned out well and will serve the purpose of Drag Week just fine. They are a 1 centimeter shorter tire but 1 centimeter wider.

Stock Tire Size: P235/55 R17
My Drag Radials: P245/45 R17

I have a UPR driveshaft saftey loop ordered and on the way. It is supposed to be here by Monday. That is really the only think left to be track legal for Drag Week.

I like the base stock wheels. I think t gives it a sleeper look.

New tires mounted on new (new to me) wheels:

Size Difference:

Tread size difference:

On the car & tested for fit. They will work fine.

Ditto

I'll most likely post daily updates & pictures during Drag Week that starts on 9/10 I believe.

Stay tuned...

#43 ·
whats been going on with the race car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.