BLOCK INFO (revised 11/20/07) - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

BLOCK INFO (revised 11/20/07)

Being updated.

Last edited by DJOHAGIN; 08-18-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Being updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

For future growth
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

For future growth

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonKaase View Post

I started on the aluminum block today. It is new, but I'm afraid it's been violated a little. It's been decked (this is bad news since rarely does anyone do this right) You can see the sleeve perfectly flush with the aluminum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonKaase View Post

Here's the problem. We put cooper rings on top of the sleeve flanges, and then installed a torque plate and torqued it to 130 ft/lbs. This is done to make sure the sleeves are seated tight in the block. As you can see in this picture, they were not. they are now .012" below the deck. Now we have to deck the block at least .013" and start over. The torque plate seating of the sleeves has to be done BEFORE the block is decked.
Almost every aluminum block comes with the sleeves sticking out of the deck a little. They will almost always move down .005-.015 when torqued into place. When the sleeves are installed, the block is heated to about 200 degrees. then the sleeves are hand placed into the block. when they are placed into the block, they are seated in pretty tight. when the aluminum cools, it shrinks at twice the rate of the sleeve, leaving the sleeve sticking out of the deck.
At this point, if a person decks the block, the sleeves will have clearance under the flange at the top. The first time it is touqued, it sinks.

cc

Last edited by DJOHAGIN; 06-10-2010 at 10:06 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Additional Weight

Based on your your previous assessment, what would you estimate the same engine to be with a Weiand 1993 cast aluminum tunnel ram, two 4bbl carbs, and stock iron heads? I know the combination is DEFINITELY adding a substantial amount of weight but does anybody actually know how much it is?

"That smell; that gasoline smell...I love the smell of Napalm in the morning."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

im planning on running a tunnel ram as well... would be interesting to know.

-Dave

1983 F-250 4x4- TBI 472, NP435, twin stick NP205, D60 front/10.25 rear, 37s
1983 Mercury Capri 466/C6- Getting closer
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 10:34 PM

I had a weiand tunnel ram with 2 750 double pumper carbs and a fogger kit, it weighed in at 75lbs!!!!! i think my new carb and victor intake weighs 40lbs..

Big block ford JUNKIE,Twin 74mm turboed 501 with procrap heads, 8.54@169 so far!!! Lots more testing to be had!www.rodeheavershotrod.com
www.unitedgearheads.com
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 AM

Block Info

Trying to figure out exactly what block I have? My numbers Read>

DIVE-6015 A2P

Wondering if this is a thick web block of the DIVE blocks. Any help here?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Looking for technical drawings

Hi,
I am fairly new in the topic and would like to ask if someone would know where i could get technical drawings from a 460 Block? Especially I would be interested in the Big End and the sides with the engine mounts.

Could anyone help?

Thank you!

Jens
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 PM

Information is great! Thanks
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 03:58 PM

Does any old 460 block work or is there a great one....

I just changed my mind for a street/strip drag mustang project and was wondering if anybody knows if there is a particular year of 460 that was superior in performance .... for example the early windsor's like 66-72 or something like that have really good rigidity strength and are the superior block when you are going to build a windsor for performance as opposed to the newer windsor blocks which tend to twist around 6 or 7 hundred hp just wondering. I know I could get bone stock 460 motor out of a old 89 F-350 for 500 and that is pretty reasonable since I could keep the crank block and heads.....
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkaJen View Post
Hi,
I am fairly new in the topic and would like to ask if someone would know where i could get technical drawings from a 460 Block? Especially I would be interested in the Big End and the sides with the engine mounts.

Could anyone help?

Thank you!

Jens
THE FORD MOTORSPORTS PARTS CATALOG HAS SOME OF THIS IN IT I THINK TOWARDS THE FRONT MAY BE THAT WILL HELP .
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeKnowledge View Post
I just changed my mind for a street/strip drag mustang project and was wondering if anybody knows if there is a particular year of 460 that was superior in performance .... for example the early windsor's like 66-72 or something like that have really good rigidity strength and are the superior block when you are going to build a windsor for performance as opposed to the newer windsor blocks which tend to twist around 6 or 7 hundred hp just wondering. I know I could get bone stock 460 motor out of a old 89 F-350 for 500 and that is pretty reasonable since I could keep the crank block and heads.....
Stock for stock 460? I'd say 49 state pre 74 IMO. Everything after that had seriously retarded cam timing and low CR. Just swapping an early timing set into a 74 post 460 will wake it up big time but forget about passing emmisions with it, not that your probably worried about that anyway. I'd look for a 69/70 T-bird with a 429 Thunderjet. You'd surprised how many are still out there. I know where there's one right now for 1K for the entire car. http://bn.craigslist.org/cto/1618195505.html Before I built the stroker for my truck I had a fairly stock 429 TJ (intake, carb, headers, ign) that could shred my 29x15.5x15 MTs at will. I used a 429 TJ block for my stroker build as well. 1/2 price day at the U-Pull-It $75 bucks, can't beat that. If I'm not mistaken the TJ was rated at a conservative 370 hp but made a boat load of torque

Last edited by Cheezno6; 03-26-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.