460 Ford Forum banner

Wanted : OEM Ford Boss 429 head O ring sets

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  XEngr 
#1 ·
Anybody have any laying around you want to sell?

#3 ·
i dont have spares right now,but when i do there around 750 set,this includes all o rings,the org ford set does not,few people know this,and thing something is missing,

#4 ·
Boss 429 O rings

I have quite a few sets of them but I am currently putting my 1969 Boss 429 ,that I have had since 1973 ,up for sale & if the price is right my stash of spare B429 parts I have will go with the car but if the price is not right,I will not include the parts and sell them outright!
I will let you know if they become available!

Bob
D&D AUTOMOTIVE SPECIALTIES
FORD & MUSTANG PERFORMANCE
Winning Ford combinations since 1987!!
610-432-0041 (phn.)
ddautosp@ptd.net
www.mspmall.com/ddautospec

#5 ·
Check with Jack Roush, no kidding. We did a Boss 429 for a customer and my Dad called Jack and he had the OEM O ring kits for sale and I don't think they were all that expensive. He called him at his place in Livonia MI.

#8 ·
I had my Dad look a minute ago and we have a whole set of the rings for the cylinders. The bag doesn't have a part number on it that I can see anymore and the rings don't look like copper but are steel, almost like the fire ring that's in a head gasket.

#9 ·
DaveMcLain said:
I had my Dad look a minute ago and we have a whole set of the rings for the cylinders. The bag doesn't have a part number on it that I can see anymore and the rings don't look like copper but are steel, almost like the fire ring that's in a head gasket.
Yes, the combustion "O"rings are steel.
Do you have the rubber "O" rings for the oil and water passages as well ?

#11 ·
Boss 429 o-rings

These Boss 429 heads can be used without the original o-rings. I have welded the o-ring grooves and made a small clean-up mill on the gasket surface. A stock type head gasket can then be used. The head gasket will need to be trimed a very small amount for pushrod clearance. I have done several sets of Boss heads like this in the past with good success. No more hard to find o-rings, no more oil and water leaks. Also, easy to work on the next time you have the heads off the engine. Just let me know if you need any more info on this. Thanks Dennis Woody

#13 ·
Re: Boss 429 o-rins

dwoody said:
One more good thing I forgot to mention about welding the cylinder heads so you can use head gaskets is= It will cost a lot less than a package of o-rings. At least compared to the prices you were quoted........Thanks again, Dennis Woody
Thanks Dennis,
I have thought about going the weld and gasket route,but this is a 1 owner original Boss 429 and I'm afraid it would reduce it's value.

#14 ·
Boss 429 0-rings

I think you could trim the heads gaskets around the heads so they could not be seen with the heads installed. However you are very correct to try to keep that car as original as possible. So the o-rings are the best way to go on your car. I'll check around with some of my customers that have these engines and see if I can locate a set reasonably priced....Thanks..

#17 ·
Dick Serdinak at Portage Performance has made replacement o-rings for quite a few years. His combustion o-rings are gas filled, which are slightly higher than the OEM o-rings requiring his rubber oil and water o-rings. These combustion o-rings are reusable.

Actually you can sometimes reuse the original combustion o-rings if they are not crushed beyond spec. Dick will make special rubber o-rings for use with the OEM combuston o-rings.

There was anther manufacturer of o-rings in Washington state, but I have never seen his rings and don't know if he still makes them.

If for some reason you do not want to use Dick's rings and absolutely have to have original Ford rings, I still have some sets around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.