Rollerizing a C6 - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Fordmanmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brainerd MN
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Garage
Frank I went into photobucket and I typed your name in severalways to look at those picks but no luck I tried fmerkl, frankmerkl merkl, fmerkel, no luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merkl View Post
# 9 brg is ford part#E6DZ -7G178-A or timken # FH-58073
#7&8 are GM# 9436851 and the one for the front planetery is Ford # F81Z-7A166-AA
Changing any of the other thrust washers will not help as they are not loaded or shouldn't be .
# 9 -shorten the oneway race to 1.010"
#8- machine the rear hub to fit the O.D of brg & I.D .050" smaller thanI.D.of brg .050" deep, machine back side of rear planetary .030" deep x.050" larger than O.D. of brg
# 7-machine the frt side of the planetary .040" deep same o.d. of the brg ( the brg is .140" thick & the stock thrust washer is .062", most C6's have way to much endplay , you want to have between .030-.045 end play when done , the orginal thrust washer race on the sungear shell can be removed to get the other .040" clearance here if neccesary)
# 5 Front planetrary already has 2 factory torringtons all you have to change there is the one thrust washer , the planetary needs the snout turned down .010" approx for I.D. of brg to fit (planetary's vary here)then machine face .040" deep x .050" larger than the O.D. of the brg , on the forward ring gear hub machine a groove .058" deep the same O.D. as the brg and .050"smaller than the I.D( Note the .050" on theses is for oil inlet clearance)

All cut should be done with a good carbide cut as the pins that are being trimmed are tool steel

Any Questions email me at fmerkl@eidnet.org

Pics http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4392074
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4392073
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4392072
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4392071
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4392070


Sorry about the delay in sending
Frank Merkl

Matthew Moss
Fordmanmatt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Fordmanmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brainerd MN
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Garage
http://www.transmissioncenter.org/C6...Up_Diagram.htm
Based on this diagram I included in this post is there anyway Frank or somebody that understand how to rollerise the c6 can show me on the diagram where new parts are going and parts need machining I know this can help me explain to my machinist and help other newbie to. would probably need to print off and re-scan if possible




Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merkl View Post
# 9 brg is ford part#E6DZ -7G178-A or timken # FH-58073
#7&8 are GM# 9436851 and the one for the front planetery is Ford # F81Z-7A166-AA
Changing any of the other thrust washers will not help as they are not loaded or shouldn't be .
# 9 -shorten the oneway race to 1.010"
#8- machine the rear hub to fit the O.D of brg & I.D .050" smaller thanI.D.of brg .050" deep, machine back side of rear planetary .030" deep x.050" larger than O.D. of brg
# 7-machine the frt side of the planetary .040" deep same o.d. of the brg ( the brg is .140" thick & the stock thrust washer is .062", most C6's have way to much endplay , you want to have between .030-.045 end play when done , the orginal thrust washer race on the sungear shell can be removed to get the other .040" clearance here if neccesary)
# 5 Front planetrary already has 2 factory torringtons all you have to change there is the one thrust washer , the planetary needs the snout turned down .010" approx for I.D. of brg to fit (planetary's vary here)then machine face .040" deep x .050" larger than the O.D. of the brg , on the forward ring gear hub machine a groove .058" deep the same O.D. as the brg and .050"smaller than the I.D( Note the .050" on theses is for oil inlet clearance)

All cut should be done with a good carbide cut as the pins that are being trimmed are tool steel

Any Questions email me at fmerkl@eidnet.org

Pics http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4392074
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4392073
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4392072
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4392071
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4392070


Sorry about the delay in sending
Frank Merkl

Matthew Moss
Fordmanmatt is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Frank Merkl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brooks Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
 
Frank Merkl is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Frank Merkl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brooks Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
 
and the pics are all on post #15
Frank
Frank Merkl is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Fordmanmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brainerd MN
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Garage
Frank is it a good Idea to soak those BRG like the band and clutches in some tranny fluid before putting everything back together so that it gets lubed inside of the brg????.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanmatt View Post
Frank I went into photobucket and I typed your name in severalways to look at those picks but no luck I tried fmerkl, frankmerkl merkl, fmerkel, no luck!!!

Matthew Moss
Fordmanmatt is offline  
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Frank Merkl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brooks Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
 
soak them
frank
Frank Merkl is offline  
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Hi I maybe off topic a little but I have a newbie issue with a 1975 Valve Body and c6 trans,
I am wondering if I left a component out when I fitted the shift kit.
as I found this needle valve but am unsure if it even came from the auto. no spring seems to fit it nor no obvious seat for it to sit in.

Valve.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. eg bin it...

Last edited by bigmat; 04-05-2014 at 11:49 PM.
bigmat is offline  
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 02:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
 
Any chance you'd have a pic of the valvebody? Show the top of the manual valve . Some valvebodies have the detent in the valvebody, some are in the case . If I understand the issue you have the trans assembled? and there is no detent for the gears?? A 75 valvebody should have the case detent .

You in Australia too ?

Last edited by gregaust; 04-06-2014 at 02:50 AM.
gregaust is offline  
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:46 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
VB from the top

Sorry I was waiting for a notification then realised I hadn't subscribed to the thread, as per attached pictures, thanks
I sorted the Detent the spring had just swung past the cam detent on the inner bracket. but I still need to know what the needle valve is for? Box is assembled
too thanks.



Mat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140406_155041[1].jpg (96.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 20140316_172650[1].jpg (95.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20140406_155118[1].jpg (95.7 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by bigmat; 04-15-2014 at 05:54 AM.
bigmat is offline  
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
 
No idea what that pin is unless that valvebody had someones home made mors maybe ???
gregaust is offline  
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:21 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust View Post
No idea what that pin is unless that valvebody had someones home made mors maybe ???
Yes I just dont lnow myself either. If nobody has seen a needle valve like it in a C6 before it is going to stay out.
(one of those ones when you walk with the VB in hand from the auto to the bench and happen to look down seeing the valve on the floor... and then you think why wasn't I paying more attention... lol

Thanks for your fast reply all the same
Cheers
Mat
bigmat is offline  
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Moose Jaw Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Nope

I have never seen anything like that in a C6.

Wrench twister since 1957.
Journeyman in 1964.
Transmission builder since 1964.
stuarta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome