LS1 heads on a sbf? Yeah it can be done! - 460 Ford Forum
General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

LS1 heads on a sbf? Yeah it can be done!

I picked up some ls1 heads for $75 and noticed the bolt pattern. Its pretty close,if you go from dead even in the middle only the outter edges barly dont want to fit.Other then alittle tooling around its actually a pretty easy conversion.I may step up to 1/2 bolts for this one. Most important is the pushrods,the spacing is dead even. :shock:

The coolent passeges are mostly is the same spots.Only the two top ones need to be filled in. Also the intake coolent doesnt feed into the heads. Which I think is good considering the freeze plug locations that it has,and simply custom intake.

Of course a custom cam is needed.But then agian any real build needs a cam.This was tried on a 302w.The build will be on a 393w stroker. The real reason is price/power. Its hard getting and used heads that can make serious power for less then 1k.That and ls1 heads on a ford is uncommen. Usually a ls1 with cam/intake/exhaust makes between 400-450rwhp on an auto trans. If you step up to an aggresive cam with a great port job,then the figures shift up alittle more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

hm got to love real hotrodding versus unlimited budget rodding, lol. bobn
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrbob
hm got to love real hotrodding versus unlimited budget rodding, lol. bobn
Thanks,this isnt something I read or heard of.Just something I figured out, I heard that some big race shop did it after I figured it out,but i had no idea.Maybe that isnt true,but either way,power is power.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: LS1 heads on a sbf? Yeah it can be done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid sn-95
I picked up some ls1 heads for $75 and noticed the bolt pattern. Its pretty close,if you go from dead even in the middle only the outer edges barely don't want to fit.Other then a little tooling around its actually a pretty easy conversion.I may step up to 1/2 bolts for this one. Most important is the push rods,the spacing is dead even. :shock:

The coolant passages are mostly is the same spots.Only the two top ones need to be filled in. Also the intake coolant doesn't feed into the heads. Which I think is good considering the freeze plug locations that it has,and simply custom intake.

Of course a custom cam is needed. But then again any real build needs a cam. This was tried on a 302w. The build will be on a 393w stroker. The real reason is price/power. Its hard getting and used heads that can make serious power for less then 1k. That and ls1 heads on a ford is uncommon. Usually a ls1 with cam/intake/exhaust makes between 400-450rwhp on an auto trans. If you step up to an aggressive cam with a great port job,then the figures shift up a little more.
Actually this really doesn't surprise me in the least as the "LS1" looks like a mix of Ford engines!

1967 Mustang coupe, Mustang II front suspension. W/RV camed, D3VE headed, 460/C6 (soon to be 557 CID w/ported police interceptor heads) out of the box BBC headers(with homemade steel adapters)

Shocktower removal enthusiast.

The race is not over till the Fat Block Ford Sings!

FBHO
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Alittle too clock wise,but is closer if properly lined up

Two of these must be filled in

These will act as coolent inlet

Tough to tell,but these do line up perfectly

If you like an inside look

Just for giggles

Sorry about the crappy photos,battery was almost dead.Pretty basic stuff that any shop should be able to do.I first gotta get a 351w.I got mostly 302w stuff :roll:
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:11 PM

Neat!!

What are you going to do about an intake?

Why a custom cam?
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:21 PM

Pretty good considering Robert Yates helped design the heads, along with the Chevy Nascrap heads... :shock: :shock: Funny what a guy will do to make a buck... :lol: :lol:

Doug... 8)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:59 PM

That is pretty neat. One problem looking at those heads is the valve layout is EIEIEI. A SBF is IEIEIEIE so you will need a special cam.

As for intake, an LS1 deck is 9.240" vs. a 351c at 9.206" - may be able to get the intake to fit without too much effort on a cleveland deck hieght block. On a windsor 9.5" block I'd think a set of spacers should work.

Would be cool to be able to say it can be done, but considering the cam issue likely can just buy a set of aftermarket SBF heads and call it done.

Steve
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastmerc
Neat!!

What are you going to do about an intake?

Why a custom cam?
The valves are on the other side.And I can fab up a custom intake,ls6 intakes are expensive and should be run on a 393W.
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68xr7cat
That is pretty neat. One problem looking at those heads is the valve layout is EIEIEI. A SBF is IEIEIEIE so you will need a special cam.

As for intake, an LS1 deck is 9.240" vs. a 351c at 9.206" - may be able to get the intake to fit without too much effort on a cleveland deck hieght block. On a windsor 9.5" block I'd think a set of spacers should work.

Would be cool to be able to say it can be done, but considering the cam issue likely can just buy a set of aftermarket SBF heads and call it done.

Steve
Spacers might work, i really havent even considered them.I have canfield 20 deg heads going back together on my 306 build.But thats getting sold as a swap. This is just different,and the money I spend on a custom cam will be worth it IMO.I can dial it in specific for my combo,which I would like to do anyway.$75 heads VS afr 185/canfield is tough to compare.
I'd love to spin this through a t5 and see what rwhp i can pull out without a MT.Everest curve
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Bah,forgot to mention.The last set of head bolt will just be filled.Oil will drop into the lifter valley instead of the block.And shorter head bolt must be used.Im sure i'll figure something out :roll:
post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Some more stuff,the injectors line up perfectly to the heads.They even angle into the heads as they should.I will have pics up by this weekend to show a better picture of what im getting at.
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to 4speed390
I have just a couple questions,
1) will you need custom pistons, I assume you will. So with all the money being spent on custom this and that, why not get some afr185's and make just as much if not more power and save time?

2) what are you gonna do about the intake, seeing as how the intake ports look nothing like the sbf's?

This is quite interesting, and in no way do i mean to sound like a dick, I am just wondering.
thanks
good luck

Mans got to know his limitations. - Clint
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4speed390
I have just a couple questions,
1) will you need custom pistons, I assume you will. So with all the money being spent on custom this and that, why not get some afr185's and make just as much if not more power and save time?

2) what are you gonna do about the intake, seeing as how the intake ports look nothing like the sbf's?

This is quite interesting, and in no way do i mean to sound like a dick, I am just wondering.
thanks
good luck
Just going to cut em,seen them done deep on stock forged 302 pistons then sprayed with a 150 shot with no problem.Actually,the fuel side didnt turn on and it only blew the head gasket at one point.

Intake will be sheetmetal,i've done worse fab's before. A previous person suggested using an lsx intake with spacer,but i think that the TB would be in the way of the distributor cap.i'd like to use the modular single blade Tb anyway.I dont feel that a 75mm would get the job done on a 393w.

Yeah I am selling my swap with canfield 20 deg 58 cc heads and edlebrock intake.If you add up that stuff it too gets expensive.I have an F cam on that motor and wasnt too pleased with what i could do with it.
dcbigblock67 likes this.
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Crazy Eyez
Just to speak up. I am Morbid's friend, and this motor will be going into my car(not going to say what yet ) and I allready planned on doing pistons anyways.The intake is going to be a sheet metal intake with individual runners going to a single plenum.And why not AFR's well because these heads we're cheaper than 100 dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.