how do you set a C6 to shift at a certain RPM? - 460 Ford Forum
General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how do you set a C6 to shift at a certain RPM?

i want my transmission (C6) to shift itself at a certain rpm (6500rpm) @ WOT. can this be done on a c6 or do i really have to do it manually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
RJP

Frank Merkl is much better qualified to answer but I'll offer my .02 and worth every penny. The automatic shift points can be modified by changing the weights in the governor. Do a search and you should find something pertaining to this as it was discussed awhile back.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

well i did a search and some people are saying all you have to do is adjust the modulator. Others say its the kickdown cable. still others say its the governor, just wondering if anything conclusive about it was found out.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

If you're at WOT the kick down won't come into play as far as adjustment goes, fully open is fully open. If I'm not mistaken (and I'm subject to be on MANY occasions) the modulator would partly come into play if there is manifold vacuum involved, so I'm thinking that you're going to get the most "adjust-ability" out of the Governor.
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
If you're at WOT the kick down won't come into play as far as adjustment goes, fully open is fully open. If I'm not mistaken (and I'm subject to be on MANY occasions) the modulator would partly come into play if there is manifold vacuum involved, so I'm thinking that you're going to get the most "adjust-ability" out of the Governor.
Rob
thats what i was thinking about the gorvernor. But i also saw other posts that said adjusting the modulator was all they did and they were able to raise the shift points to their desired rpm.
I think its gonna end up being the governor but it seems to be a bit of a pain to do that work only for it to end up being a guess at best and then having to take another guess.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 PM

True, an adjustable modulator is way easier to adjust as opposed to pulling the drive line and the extension housing each time. All 3 DO determine shift points (kick down position, modulator and governor) So, If I couldn't get concrete info (and Frank Merkl would be one of the people to ask) I'd personally start with an adjustable modulator.....
Rob

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
True, an adjustable modulator is way easier to adjust as opposed to pulling the drive line and the extension housing each time. All 3 DO determine shift points (kick down position, modulator and governor) So, If I couldn't get concrete info (and Frank Merkl would be one of the people to ask) I'd personally start with an adjustable modulator.....
Rob
thanks for the replies. i have a feeling its gonna be the more difficult job (governor). It seems to usually work out that way doesnt it.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

i also thought the kickdown cable was only for downshifts and didnt do much at WOT but this thread here tells me otherwise : c6 trans won't shift when kickdown is connected

in that thread a member here said he was able to get 6000rpm shift points by messin with just the modulator.

Ah, i guess when its all said and done its just gonna take some crazy driving out there to get this right.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

one more thing. Im not running a kickdown cable (will buy one this week). But ut was wondering, does the factory kickdown cable/rod fit on a dominator sitting on a victor intake or does the linkage sit too high?? also, will a lokar cable fit on a dominator linkage?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 PM

I've heard that the Lokar set ups are pretty adjustable for different combos, and I doubt that a stock kick down will fit a Dominator set up. Won't know untill you try it.
Rob

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've heard that the Lokar set ups are pretty adjustable for different combos, and I doubt that a stock kick down will fit a Dominator set up. Won't know untill you try it.
Rob
whaaaaaaat i thought dominators were designed for fords for nascar!!! Holley should have known better and put a provision for a c6 kickdown rod!!! didnt they run c6's in nascar!?!?!? jk

looks like a lokar cable for me!!
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 PM

LMAO....aaah....no.
Rob

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:31 AM

if your shifting at 6500 u r racinng u will like line pressure high and its higher in manual shift mode
dragweek quickest street rod
2009 2010
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

i still have the column shifter and i feel like timing it to shift at a consistent rpm might be a little difficult (vs automatic shifting) since theres a lil delay from when you move the lever and when the transmission shifts.

i just got my carb back and put it on the engine and noticed there's no provision for a kickdown cable on the linkage. do they sell anything to attach a kickdown cable to a dominator carb??
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

i guess ill start by messin with the vacuum modulator, anyone know where i can get an adjustable one??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.