460 Ford Forum banner

429 engine mounts

14K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  John Saxon 
#1 ·
anyknow if theres a diffeence in 70 torino 70 mustang engine side motor mounts want to put a 429 type motor in a 69 mustang and want it to sit right in chassie not to foward or high thanks

#2 ·
I can't say with absolute certainty but I have a 67 with a 429 in it and I used Crites motor mounts. The engine mounts are Torino but the frame mounts are custom made. I don't believe the frame mounts from a Torino will work. The Crites 1st gen sit the motor a little high and forward but allow you to use factory trans crossmember, shifter and driveshaft from a big block car. You can use a mechanical fan too if you don't have too many pulleys on the engine. Also you will need a hood scoop. There are other mounts out there that sit the engine lower and possibly even furhter back but I'm guessing there are other issues to deal with as a result.

#5 ·
Tarafied are your mounts Crites if they are it appears that based his on a boss 429 type setup,the mounts that bolt to the block are 72-up torino,which is the same as 68-up big car ie ltd lincoln tbird and marks III-IV,70-71 torino uses a 2 piece mount that bolts to the block plus the frame perch,71-73 mustang use the same as 70-71 torino.Boss 429 used big car mounts that bolted directly to the block like yours and a frame perch that was unique to them,original boss block mounts commonly had engineering prefix of C9LY which was for mark III,there were many variations of these same mounts with different engineering #s but were functionally the same,this is why you see so many vendors on ebay with replacement boss 429 motor mounts for sale this is just 1 of the many cars those mounts fit.1 advantage of the 70-71 tor. 71-73 must. mounts is you know they won't interfere with aftermarket headers for them.While I'm not saying Boss 429 style will you don't know till you try it.The previously mentioned swap into a 68 fastback was able to use the hooker headers for 70-71 tor. and 71-73 must. with no problems.Whichever mount setup you end up using 1 thing that helps when setting the engine is to leave accessible bolts loose until you have all bolts in and started and have the engine where you want it then go back and tighten them up.You'd be surprised how much the little bit of extra movement allows you get things where you want them.

#4 · (Edited)
Action,the 70-71 Torino and 71-73 mustang use the same frame perches,67-70 mustangs use a different set. In each group there are 2 sets of frame perches 1 for non-convertible small blocks which include 289,302,351W and 351C,and another set for big blocks and convertible smallblocks. 1 exception to this is 67 mustang which uses the same perches for all v-8. Since the 67-70 Mus. FE big block uses the same middle insulator as the 70-71 Tor. and 71-73 Mus. 429 It stands to reason that using 70 tor. 429 block plates with the middle insulator used by all big block mustangs and 70-71 torinos they should mate to 67-70 mustang big block frame perches.If you can't come up with 67 all or 68-70 big block frame perches, small block frame perches can easily converted by drilling 1 new hole in each Google wil give you links to instructions A friend did this swap on a 68 fastback back in the late 70's but I don't know if he had slot any holes or use any shims.1 other exception is the 69-70 Boss 429 which uses unique frame perches that mate to 68 up big car 429-460 motor mounts.Also 66-69 fairlane montego cyclone torino FE big block use a completely different set up that is not compatible with mustang.

#7 ·
yes, mine are Crites first gen. I did the swap to a 460 in 1990-ish. I have used Tubular Automotive headers on the 460 but I am running FPA "shorty" headers on the 429.
All very good info you have provided. My car was a 289. When I did the swap back in the day, I there weren't many others doing it. Also the web was still pretty new (to me anyway). Crites was one of the only places I found that supported the swap.

#8 ·
I also agree with your last statement. Never tighten the mounts until everything is mocked up in place. You will need to wiggle things around, it is very tight!

#9 ·
What I liked about the Crites mounts that I have is it put the trans in the "stock" location for a 67 equipped with a C6. I was able to use a factory crossmember, shifter linkage rod, driveshaft, etc. Again back in the day there wasn't much support for the swap and custom parts were expensive. I was able to still find factory stuff in the junkyards or by buying whole parts cars and going to swap meets. My car used mostly OEM Ford stuff. The headers and motor mounts were really the only "custom" parts. I even used a Boss 429 lower radiator hose and a 289 upper rad hose with a 390/428 clamp-in radiator and factory shroud. With a stock intake and an 85 Mustang GT aircleaner, the hood closed with no scoop! It was a sleeper!

#10 ·
From the photo of your frame perch it looks really similar to the boss 429 perch and it makes sense that crites would not re-invent the wheel.It would also explain why the trans mount lines up so well.I did a 460 swap into a 73 machI back in 1982,it was originally a 351CJ car that had a 428cj swapped into it when I got it.They had used the regular car log manifolds but it still ran pretty good won my share of stoplight contests,but I was not happy with the install and knew a warmed over 460 would run better.I ordered a mount kit from John Vermeersch's Total Performance in Mt.Clemens MI he had an add in the back of Super Ford magazine.The 460 was lifted from a 70 markIII I honed the block had the crank polished new rings and bearings used the old crane cch-304 cam kit ported the D0VE head exhaust ports by eliminating the air injection boss and vaning the valve guide,used a 429scj(460 marine)intake and a set of of hooker headers also from TP.With a B&M shift kitted C-6 and 3.25 rear the car was a beast on the street for a daily driver.A lower rear gear just made for an unmanageable lack of traction for tires of the day.I can't imagine that engine in the even lighter 67,sounds like you have fun toy.

#11 ·
Sounds like you had a pretty cool beast there. I have always thought it would be fun to have 71-73 Mustang with the 429/460 in it. I have had this 67 for 26 years now. It has had a big block in it the whole time. When I got it, the guy who had it wanted the 289 which had just been rebuilt. Which was fine with me. I had a mid 70's 460 that was .060" over and a big cam. I don't recall the heads. It was built already. In 99 I wanted to rebuild it but several cylinders would have needed sleeves. I found this complete 70 429 with low miles. I put TRW forged flat tops, a 429SCJ cam grind, mild port on exhaust, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and a Holley 750. Converted to Duraspark ignition. I still had the 4.11's in it and no interior with open headers. (see pictures) it wasn't pretty but a lot of fun. in 05-ish my wife talked me into making it look better and I just primed it all one color. It evolved a lot so less of a beater/sleeper but we drive it anywhere. 18 states and 6 Hot Rod Power Tour long hauls. I have 3.25's now so I get better mileage but my favorite rear gear was 3.70's. I have a C6 with 2400 stall but this fall I will be swapping in a TKO600 so I might go back to the 3.70 or try 3.55's

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.