460 Ford Forum banner

COOLING FANS

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bajarick 
#1 ·
I have trimmed my core support to tuck the radiator up into the support as far as it will go. Only other room I can buy, would be to lower the radiator down to rest on the frame so I can tuck it up under the support lip, but then a good 4 inches of core would be blocked by the valanace, and front frame supports.

Doing some math, my motor plate mounts to the core is 7.5 inches. the front of the plate to the end of the CVR water pump is 6.5 inches.

I had bought the Contour dual fans, but they are 3 inches thick! wont add up.

Couple of options I would like opinions on:
1- see if I can cut or route the fan case to recess the snout into the shroud? Have to get the motor in first.
2- reverse polarity, cut the countour fan shroud down, and make them into dual pushers, from the front yes they will run in reverse, but they are curved blades. Cant flip the blades either, tried it.
3-by two small dedicated pushers, or one big dedicated pushers from the front...the two fan set up is AMP hog. Would one big be as good, better or worse than two smaller.
4-change to a mech water pump...really don't want to do that, I want to be able to cool the car in the lanes etc.

Just brain storming options. Looking for better ideas.

See less See more
#2 ·
i have 1 15" front mounted s-blade fan on my 1988 Mustang ragtop. It has a 545 i built. It does not keep it under 220* sitting still at ldle for very long. If I can keep the speed above 30 MPH it does stay below 220. It is a fan I reversed the wires to make it run backwards. I am in the process of mounting 2 14" reversed fans in front of the radiator to see if it does the trick. I have a huge 4-core aluminum nascar type radiator.

#3 · (Edited)
HERE IS....

....my cooling fan set up.

Two Flex-A-Lite fans wired in directly with relays and switches.

I also wired in a thermostat, but it never really worked right so I rely on myself to switch the fans on and off.

If the two puller fans aren't enough - there is also a 3rd pusher fan wired in front of the radiator to a second switch-but I have yet to use it.

Im running a 275 amp alternator - fan speed is always good - battery never drains.

That's a Summit Racing radiator.

Also here is an article on cooling a BBF: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1005phr-project-fox-cooling-system/

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.