460 Ford Forum banner

Questions about 460 in a 70 Torino

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  70bbftorino 
#1 ·
Hey how's it goin!

Currently building a 70 Torino. I yanked a 460 out of a 77 Ford F-250 and the c6.

I have rebuilt the 460, stock short block. Stock heads and valve train. Only thing I changed is edelbrock intake, crites long tube headers, 750 Holley double.

The c6 I intend to get a transgo shift kit and a decent torque converter. With my B&M shifter.

I got an 8.8 with 3:73 in the rear.

I'm wondering if this will be a decent set up for my car? Or will this engine be an absolute pig?? Should I add a mild cam?

Car is just going to be driven to shows and on a Sunday here and there.

I'm just a little concerned that this may be a bad set up for my car....

Thanks!

#2 ·
I don't think you will be disappointed. I have had my 67 Mustang almost 30 years and I first put a stock 460 in it in the early 90's. The engine you have would be low compression and not much cam but they are still making some torque. With the 3.73 gears it will be a fun driver. The 460 will make the car nose heavy but my Mustang doesn't really feel bad on the street. I have done some open track events and it pushes really bad when you are really on it but for your intended use it will be a nice cruiser and people love to see the big engine on cruise night!

#3 ·
i have a 460/c6 in mine a 70 torino brougham. hooker supercomp headers are tight near shock towers but not the worst thing i ever had to assemble. that engine is lower compression, could use different cam setup, intake, etc. also exhaust and intake ports on heads can be cleaned up and made decent, and a bigger carb. that will get you going better than leaving it bone stock and dropping it in.
mine is 72 lincoln block with forged pistons, dove-Cs, Comp Cams magnum kit .585/.585 lift cam/springs/retainers/locks (there is better split duration choices), reconditioned rods with arp bolts, roller rockers, hooker 6115, stealth intake, 850 double pumper holley blue pump and a fuel cell. electric fans on a sensor. 9" rearend and a driveshaft made. trans is stock and sucks so it slips at the time because i cant get one done the way i want.
it rips pretty good, i could have made betteer choices that jive better together.
theres a few project pictures. if you want to avoid some brake booster headaches do not get tall valve covers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.