460 Ford Forum banner

460 install in my 69 F100. Radiator hoses?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  broncoformudv 
#1 ·
Installing a 460 into my 69 F100. Aluminum radiator (Champion 3 core). I'm trying to figure out my radiator hoses. I want molded. Stock steel thermostat housing to 1 3/4 at the radiator. 2" in and out on the bottom. Somebody here has to have the answer. Just left autozone with a couple that might work. Anybody have what they've used?

#2 ·
If you are using the stock top, bottom tank, style radiator, the 73-79 F100 came with a 460. Use the stock replacement hoses. They should be the same.
The stock water neck will work too.

If you are using the side tank radiator, a little more work finding hoses is in order. I am currently trying to figure out which direction I am heading with my 72 F250. Most likely a late 80's F250/F350 lower hose without oil cooler and a early 70's Ford car upper or mid 70's Lincoln.
When I decide which radiator to use, this will be tackled. Probably in a month or so.

Use rock auto to browse through the truck years, look at the photos, specs for hose dimensions and so on.

#5 ·
If you are using the stock top, bottom tank, style radiator, the 73-79 F100 came with a 460. Use the stock replacement hoses. They should be the same.
The stock water neck will work too.
88 it may not be that simple all the factory installed 460's I ever saw in 73-79 pickups had the big desert cooler radiators in them.Its a big radiator that looks like something out of a F750,it may still have the hose outlets in the same place as the FE radiators but you would have measure 1 to be sure.I agree with wanting the molded hoses but using ones for that stock app. will require using mounts that place the engine in the same place in chassis as the stock 460 mounts do and a radiator that has the outlets in the same place in relation to the core support as the stock 460 radiator.Also you will need the same thermostat housing they used.The molded hoses are great but they do require everything to be fairly close to stock location.

#6 · (Edited)
John,

You are absolutely right. It seems to be a trial and error fit for me at this point. Guess I spoke too soon.
I am using the 73-79 stock motor mounts and perches in my 72 with a stock style 4 core radiator.
To top it off, I am using late model truck alternator and AC/power steering brackets with serpentine belts so the top hose might hit the alternator.
Ordered Gates hoses today.
20705 upper.
20611 lower.
When I get back at this in a few weeks, I will post the results.

Mike

#7 ·
On my wifes 78 Bronco I used the stock radiator hoses from her 78(with a 351M) with the super cooler radiator and a late model efi 460 with the serpentine setup minus the air pump, a/c and oil cooler. Had to trim them just a tad bit but they fit perfectly.

I am using performance unlimited motor mounts which are very similar to L&L mounts minus the breaking part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.