460 Ford Forum banner

C-6 questions

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  gregaust 
#1 ·
Hi all. I am in the process of rebuilding my C-6. This will be behind a mild 460 with approx. 400/500 hp/tq and in a 4x4. I was wanting to put 5 clutches in the direct and forward drums. I currently have 4/3 and rollerize it. My front drum is the early style with .330 needle bearing pocket depth and the thin fibres. Is changing to the later style drum with the thicker fibres something i should do or just add a fibre to my existing drum. Am I way over doing this for my H.P. level? Broader sells a kit that is rated for 500 HP and would give me one extra fibre in the direct drum so i would have 4 in the direct and 4 in the forward and would rollerize the #9 thrust washer. Would this be a good option for me?

#2 ·
The Broader kit will do you well. It is very comprehensive and comes with some good information to help you .

If you are able to do your own machining then the rollers are a nice option . Either way I believe the #9 is essential.

No real difference in that forward drum , just add the fibre to the drum you have. Keep in mind you CANNOT change the drum alone , the forward ring gear hub MUST match the forward drum.
A good valvebody kit is essential to help it live also .

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. I went with broader kit and it is coming along well. I tore my valve body apart and found the separator plate rusted pretty bad where the gasket made contact. I have another separator plate but it is from a '76 and later valve body. It has an extra hole drilled in it which I am guessing is for the extra check-ball. Are these plates inter-changeable? I am guessing no which leads me to my next question. Where can i get a separator plate for a '75 valve body? I have done a google search and have come up with nothing. Any ideas on where I can find one? Thanks , Bill

#5 ·
I ended up not being able to find a separator plate so I block sanded the one I have and am hoping it will be fine. Also I have a question about boost valve sleeves. The valve body I am working on is a 1975 and had a gold boost valve sleeve with a boost land size of .410 but it was damaged. I have a boost sleeve from a 1977 valve body the only difference is it is silver and the boost land size is a little smaller. It looks to be in good shape. They both are held in with a clip. Are these interchangeable? I looked up replacement sleeves and only found the differences to be early type and late type or gas and diesel. These are both gas and the late type design. I never thought there were so many little differences between C-6s ;-) Thanks

#7 ·
I finally got this transmission in and it works but is slipping in drive. The line pressure is 75lbs at idle with vacuum and 80lbs with no vacuum. The throttle pressure is 50 lbs at 0 vacuum and 15lbs at high vacuum. I am thinking valve body but is there anything I should be looking for in particular or do you guys have any other tests or ideas I can try before i tear it apart? Could it be the boost valve mentioned above?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.