460 Ford Forum banner

460 to NP435?!?!

18K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Redneckgurl 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I'm about a half hour new to this site and a first time 460 owner. I have a 78 bronco and want to put the 460 in it but have done a lil research and am finding its not that simple. The bronco has a np435 and I would like to keep it in there with the 460, from what I understand the shaft on the np435 is to long,even though the bell housings match up. The 460 came out of a 72 or 73 Lincoln Continental and was told it had less than 50k on it. I'm sure there is someone on this site that has done a similar swap and am hoping for some solid advice. Thanks

#2 ·
Sounds like a cool rig. My cousin went through this many many years ago with a '78 F150 4x4. He swapped in a 429 and ran into the problem you mentioned. He ran it for a while with washers between the engine and bellhousing. He eventually sprung for this kit. It is not cheap but it worked very well. There may be some other kits out there with some searching.

L and L Products

#3 ·
My '76 has a 460 and the 435 in it. I didn't put it there but what I have gathered on the swap (since I was trying to figure out what parts I have incase something breaks) is you need a 351m/400 bellhousing, 302 pilot bearing as it sits farther in the crank and stops the splines binding on the bearing, and a 360/390 flywheel/clutch to fit inside the bellhousing. Other option is to use a later bellhousing (4 speeds were available with a 460 up to 87) which allows you a standard 460 flywheel/clutch/pilot, just requires fabbing up the hydro conversion on the pedal end of things.

#4 ·
I did similar about a month back. If you are referring to the front / input shaft on your NP being to long, JKNW is correct. Older 429-460 crankshafts have a stepped recess in the end of them allowing for the use of Either a large or small pilot bearing. The large bearing installs flush with the end of the crankshaft And the smaller bearing installs deeper into the crankshaft and will allow you to gain the needed space. Check the rear of your crankshaft for this stepped design. Many new clutch kits come with an assortment of pilot bearings which will fit either way. Be sure and check your clearances within your bell housing before installing.

#5 ·
had a 351m or 400 in it right?

#6 ·
The combo I have heard is

1) 302 pilot bearing
2) 390 flywheel
3) later model diaphragm style pressure plate and clutch disk (off a 79 400 I think)
stock 400/351m bell and block plate

the reason for this diaphragm clutch is to make enough room in the bellhousing for the flywheel, as the 460's crank sits deeper into the bell than the 400 does.

#7 ·
no, wrong.... throw the dia clutch in the trash, used a 460 pilot,390 wheel, besides the 351m dia wont fit the 390 wheel correctly. buy a clutch,and press plate that fits the 390 wheel

ive prob done 75 of these swaps, this is not my first ride on this train

clutch has nothing to do with how the flywheel fits

#9 ·
Good luck with swap and rebuild. Consider some fabricated motor mounts. That motor is going to want to twist when coupled to the manual trans. I have had trouble with off the shelf mounts.
West Coast Broncos builds a nice mount that isn't the typical rubber vulcanized to a plate style that people have trouble with. These are only an extra 30 bucks over the L&L mounts that people keep ripping apart.

West Coast Broncos: WCB Extreme Duty Motor Mounts 429-460

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.