460 Ford Forum banner

steering questions

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  thermod 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 1970 Torino GT with a 429 C6 and a 9" rear. When I bought it, it came with late model 17" wheels I'm guessing at 7" wide.
all front suspension is fairly new. The steering has a lot of play, but I can't find anything wrong. I just ordered a power steering control valve rebuild kit and I'm hoping it does the trick. Any thoughts on maybe the front tires ( 245/45/R17, much wider than stock ) would cause this? Any tricks to tighten it up? Has anyone used the tubular control arms? Maybe they would add caster to go straighter?

Thanks, Ernie

#2 ·
hi again everyone, well I was hoping for some magic info. on a different approach to improving my fifty year old steering set up. If I do figure something out, without spending three grand I'll be sure to let everyone know. Thanks anyway! Does any one know of a good site for a '70 Torino?

#3 ·
Worn bushings (allowing the control arms to move around), bad/cheap tires, bad tie-rod ends, steering gear issues, rag joint/u joint (in the steering shaft) issues, etc.. Basically just start checking everything. Especially the control arm bushings if everything else seems tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.