460 Ford Forum banner

1997 7.3

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  lonco 
#1 ·
Are they any good & do they have a turbo
I can get a one owner truck looks like new
only 87k on it.

#2 ·
Buy it! There are a few what I would consider to be small problems that might pop up but otherwise a very reliable truck. Do a little searching and you will find a lot of info. Not uncommon to see trucks with 300,350 K miles still running great.It does have a turbo.

#4 ·
Turbo yes, but smaller intake manifolds & exhaust downpipe, and non-intercooled. Probably more that I can't remember right now, but no deal-breakers by any stretch ;)

#7 · (Edited)
X2 the OBS powerstrokes and the early superduty 7.3's had the best long block assemblies with the forged rods,but the later super duties had better turbo's and bigger ducting including the manifolds that bolt to the head.They had a significantly higher HP rating 40-60 higher than the early ones.That being said the OBS is a lighter truck,unless your after max. power the early non-intercooled powerstroke will support enough power to make for a super strong trailer puller with bolt on stuff such as shimmed fpr spring,tuner,larger exhaust.You can get to nearly 300-325 HP and 650-700 ft/lbs before having to upgrade to larger injectors.If you are looking for more than what bolt ons will give you try a Hiperf HPOP it alone may get you where you want ,if not it will be required for bigger injectors anyway and is cheaper than injectors.Regardless of your route if you perform any mods to the truck make the first one an exhaust pyrometer especially if you are towing,it is not at all hard to get the exhaust temps into the danger zone with a modded non-intercooled powerstroke.Also make sure the pyro probe goes into the exhaust upstream of the turbo.
P.S. If you get the truck take it to your ford dealer and have them make sure all recalls have been performed 1 of them is the cam position sensor which is probably 1 of the most common issues with early powerstrokes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.