460 Ford Forum banner

Can anyone help me out with some photos of a 1968 or 69 429?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  69X100 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me out with some photos of a 1968 or 69 429? I need some points of reference for the power steering brackets. Please let me know if you're able to do this and I will let you know exactly what I'm looking for. I really appreciate any help thank you again.

#2 ·
Some (if not all?) of those early engines used a power steering pump that mounted to the crankshaft/timing cover. They also used a different water pump, commonly referred to as a Boss pump. Aside from that, they're virtually identical to any other garden variety 429/460.

#3 · (Edited)
I just finished putting the freshened-up 429 back in my '69 Marquis. I took lots of pics because I had some trouble remembering how the gargantuan a/c compressor attached. If yours is a '68 I wonder if it's a T-Bird and if it is your a/c compressor may lay more flat than the Galaxies and Mercurys with the 429.
The long bolt that holds the top of the Aluminum p/s pump bracket also holds the lower front and rear a/c mounts. (there's another large mounting bracket for the a/c at the top). There is also a steel bracket that attaches to the "Boss" water pump on the right (passenger's) side (top and bottom), and to the aluminum bracket on the left side at the top, with a lower bolt providing the belt adjustment.
If your brackets are from an a/c car and you're not using the a/c, you will need spacers between the steel bracket and the Boss pump, and between the aluminum bracket and the head. A couple of the pics show the gap before the a/c was mounted.
See the pictures- if you have any questions let me know.

Attachments

#5 ·
brackets

You do have the short water pump that was used with the crank driven PS pump only.IMO,your PS pump and brackets aren't correct for that WP and odds are,all the pulleys including the alt and it's brackets are a mismatch when using that WP. I realize you can make anything work with enough washers and spacers but....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.