460 Ford Forum banner

Torque Converter Recommendation

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  wayney 
#1 ·
I have a 1973 Mach 1 that I am setting up for "Spirited" street performance. The goal is to try and run with the late model MOPARS and Corvettes.

The motor is a 545 solid roller that has been dynoed at 731.6 ft-lbs of torque at 4500 RPM. Horsepower is 704.1 at 5900 RPM (torque drops off to 625.7 at that RPM).

Per the dyno, torque was measured at 719.7 Ft-lbs at 4100 RPM (567HP at that same RPM).

The transmission is a 1000HP Broader unit and I am looking at running a 3.89 or 3.91 rear gear with 31 splines.

Again, the car is to be street driven with all the comforts that come with late model rides.

I am trying to determine the best converter (and stall) to run with this combination and would appreciate any inputs.

Thanks!

BT

#4 ·
I agree with Bob, 3500-3800 will be sweet BUT to get the correct stall have the converter built to suit your motor. Give a GOOD converter company all your specs and let them do their thing.
Like I tell anyone , an Off the shelf converter or Ebay special is hit or miss at best

#5 ·
Got with Transmission Specialities

I got with one of their representatives with my requirements and received a recommendation to use one of their XHD (Extra Heavy Duty) 10" converters. They claim it can be set to stall from 2800 - 3800 RPM.

Any of y'all have any experience with using this converter or this company?

Thanks!

BT

#6 ·
I got with one of their representatives with my requirements and received a recommendation to use one of their XHD (Extra Heavy Duty) 10" converters. They claim it can be set to stall from 2800 - 3800 RPM.

Any of y'all have any experience with using this converter or this company?

Thanks!

BT
I've been looking at the Jegs converters, and according to other forums and a fellow in the classifieds, the Jeg's XHD unit is Transmission Specialties. Been reading a lot of positive posts about them.

I'd like to just dial up a well known company myself, but an $800 converter just isn't in the budget for me right now. Still have a lot of other parts to get, so I'll probably just give one of those a try.

#9 ·
Hey Wayne,

This motor is built from the 429SCJ block I got from you a couple of years ago and is going into my '73 Mach 1.

The tires will be the Mickey Thompson Street Radials (3555 325-50R15) tires. These tires are 28.3 inches in diameter.

The suspension will be one of Mustang Plus's Street Heat Suspension kit which consist of 5 leaf mid-eye rear springs, 620 pound front coils springs, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, and KYB shocks. Car will also have TCP Sub-frame connectors.

The car should weigh approximately 3400 pounds with me in it...a LOT of aluminum in that 545. LOL

BT

#10 ·
your car is a bit lighter than mine . mine is 3890 . sounds like you are not setting yours up for straight line only. mine is a 10:1 521 p51 head motor and run 10.80 with exhaust on pump gas with the loose converter that i am selling (spinning). i put another converter i had laying around that only flashed 2700 rpm and it still went 10.95. i think if you are mostly street you would be good with around 3000-3300 stall . these motors make alot of torque let it do the work.

wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.