460 Ford Forum banner

Larry T's 552 build with stock p-51's 832hp-738tk

29K views 75 replies 28 participants last post by  Larry T 
#1 · (Edited)
my 552 build started about 6mo ago,i am alittle slow but eventually i will get their.drag only motor for 3000lbs 94 mustang with powerglide 9'' rearend with 3.89 gears.i am hopeing to get the car done befor the end of fall so i can make a pass or 2. :D

D1TE block .060 over.
diamond flat top scj pistons .0128 average in the hole for about 13.2:1.
scat 4340 6.7 H beam rods.
scat 4340 4.5 crank internally balanced.
ford motorsports timeing chain set.
kaase p-51 heads +.100 valves Erson springs and titanium retainers "unported".
victor 4500 intake with the carb ears trimed to match carb gasket only.
comp cams roller cam
comp roller lifters.
lanati 1.7 rockers.
Hytec 3/8's x 9.100 and 9.300 push rods.
Jomar stud girdel.
Holley Quick fuel 1250 dominator carb.
Hvc 1" super sucker "10tk & 15hp gain" and 1" open spacer with a gain as well 2-3hp & tk.
dinoed with 2-1/4 cheby headers with charlies adapter. 8)
Kaase oil pump.
rod and main bearings were setup with .0025 clearance.
royal purple 15/40 oil and it did make a slight differance in hp and tk.
28.5* total timeing.
motor is setup to run 112 race fuel.

5000 736tk 700hp
5100 738 717
5200 735 727
5300 730 737
5400 725 746
5500 722 756
5600 723 770
5700 720 781
5800 719 794
5900 718 806
6000 712 814
6100 707 821
6200 699 825
6300 690 828
6400 683 832
6500 672 831.4
6600 662 831.4
6700 651 831

i purchased most every part from our vendors and members here on this forum,thank you all..........!

See less See more
#5 ·
thanks, lem i had a all nighter going things were a little fuzzy. :lol:

this was a fun build that me and my dad did together.he is 72 years old and a retired automotive machenest that worked for napa for about 49yrs.when i was at home we would build 3-5 motors a week in the evenings.building everyday use motors and street strip motors was fun to me.i learned alot but i will not clame to know everything.this was the first motor my dad had built in 2 years.we did alot of prep work to insure that their was no problems.sure their was a bump in the road here and their but no big problems.for a motor build that is basicly out of the box purchase he was verry excited about it.now that he has seen the dino sheet,he wants to make a slow pass in the car!he hasen't been in a drag car in at least 40yrs.i am sure he is in for a surprise! :shock:

here is a picture of my dad during the build.

#8 ·
Damn impressive Larry. I'm guessing that MSD distributor is the one you got from me. I feel almost like a proud parent to know that it is residing in an 832 horsepower engine. Just let me know if you change your mind about the Edelbrock 800 Carb though. I'm sure your motor wouldn't lose more than 400 horsepower running it instead of the 1250 dominator. haha.

#11 ·
not yet lem,i just talked with the guy that's doing the chassie work and it maybe the end of june befor i get it back.he has a customer with 2 cars that he is building a front end for each and then i am next.i will be picking up the powerglide after work friday.i am confident i will meet my goal to make a pass in the car by the end of fall. :wink:

#12 ·
Hey Lem,

Are those the magic hp making dyno headers I have heard so much about on Larry's engine :roll: ?

Blake

#16 ·
Almost sacreligious, BBC headers and chebbie ORANGE RTV. At least he could have used black or green or BLUE. Very impressive power. :lol:

#20 ·
Broncman said:
Nice job! Larry, you from Asheville? Small world. Just right across the mountain in Haywood county...

Whose dyno and where?? I would be interested in dyno'ing a motor as well and have no idea where to take it to near Asheville.

Ken
Ken,

The dyno you see in the picture is at Mike Phillip's place in Owensboro KY.

Automotive Machine and Performance

http://www.automachperf.com/

#21 ·
thanks guys,i owe a big THANKS to LEM and CHARLIE!when i called lem i knew i wanted the p51 heads and the motor to be a full roller.so we talked and he helped me pick out the best componets that i could afford.sence the block is a 2 bolt we didnt want to go overbord with hp and not to make the motor unreliable.i have left a little in the bag so i can use the nitrous when needed.

#23 · (Edited)
hello lem,charlie & everyone.i should have the car back befor the end of september.the car will have a new 9",wolfcraft swaybar kit,mini tubed and crome molly cage.befor i took the car to him i had installed the Aje crome molly front end kit.i have a cooks powerglide with the ptc 9" tork converter,Jw bell and wheel.i have been buying good used or new parts from our members radiator,altenator,starter,hoop kit,throttle cable assembly etc.

i called ptc about the converter to get information about it.they said it was spragless and should hold between 52-5600 on the trans brake.he also said it was the tightest 9" they make so it should be good for nitrous later on. 8)

#25 ·
Larry T said:
hello lem,charlie & everyone.my chassie guy is the big hold up at this time.he tells me i should have the car back befor the end of september.the car will have a new 9",wolfcraft swaybar kit,mini tubed and crome molly cage.befor i took the car to him i had installed the Aje crome molly front end kit.i have a cooks powerglide with the ptc 9" tork converter,Jw bell and wheel.i have been buying good used or new parts from our members radiator,altenator,starter,hoop kit,throttle cable assembly etc.

i called ptc about the converter to get information about it.they said it was spragless and should hold between 52-5600 on the trans brake.he also said it was the tightest 9" they make so it should be good for nitrous later on. 8)

I hope they do a little better on yours than they did on Blakes they missed the whole ballgame on his...

Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.